U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 12:04 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,336,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
For whatever reason people here seem to be private within their immediate community, but open books when they encounter strangers/passing acquaintances in a public setting.
You are talking about those southerners you claim HATE people from the North before even getting to know them. I understand.

Quote:
I have some theories about this, though I'd prefer not to have the conversation go in that direction.
No need to you already admitted people from the north are already judged and hated by those from the south - according to your post above. Yet you give no reason why. So we have have little chance of getting into those closed clans and cliques. I see you also ignored the question of what a southerner would find acceptable as GIVING from a northerner.

Quote:
The ultimate point is: If you desire frequent social interaction you'll likely have to work at it, at least in the short-term.
You apparently didn't read my reply to you above or were unable to comprehend what I wrote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 10:07 AM

1,458 posts, read 945,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
You are talking about those southerners you claim HATE people from the North before even getting to know them. I understand.
I said no such thing; that was another poster (kassie99) that you're referring to.

Quote:
No need to you already admitted people from the north are already judged and hated by those from the south - according to your post above. Yet you give no reason why. So we have have little chance of getting into those closed clans and cliques. I see you also ignored the question of what a southerner would find acceptable as GIVING from a northerner.
Again, it was (kassie99) who made the statement(s) you're arguing with here.

Quote:
You apparently didn't read my reply to you above or were unable to comprehend what I wrote.
You have clearly confused me with the other poster you were responding to (kassie99). In the future I'd ask that you'd be more careful in ascribing the words and/or thoughts of others to me. The irony of your comprehension jab is pretty obvious here.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
I said no such thing; that was another poster (kassie99) that you're referring to

Again, it was (kassie99) who made the statement(s) you're arguing with here.

You have clearly confused me with the other poster you were responding to (kassie99). In the future I'd ask that you'd be more careful in ascribing the words and/or thoughts of others to me. The irony of your comprehension jab is pretty obvious here.
You are correct. I confused you with her. My sincere apologies.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:52 PM

1,458 posts, read 945,271 times
Quote:
You are correct. I confused you with her. My sincere apologies.
No worries, we're all human.

In any case I agree with your perception that communities are typically far less social, particularly in the meaningful sense, than they are up north. That's just the culture here, particularly so for those who aren't overly well-to-do or living in some sort of retirement enclave. It's a tragedy that an otherwise beautiful state such as Florida is set up to foster that sort of environment on such a large scale.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
No worries, we're all human.

In any case I agree with your perception that communities are typically far less social, particularly in the meaningful sense, than they are up north. That's just the culture here, particularly so for those who aren't overly well-to-do or living in some sort of retirement enclave. It's a tragedy that an otherwise beautiful state such as Florida is set up to foster that sort of environment on such a large scale.
Thank you for accepting my apology.

It appears from what I've heard from other RVers that most of the southeast is like that, not just FL and TN. It's tradition, culture... and that wont change any time soon.

We've decided that if we do make the move to the Ocala area we are going to either buy or rent a lot in one of the Resorts or nicer campgrounds. Most likely rent a spot. If we bought a lot in an RV resort we couldn't just pick up and roll away as if we only rented. That's one of the beauties of RV living. Have a bad neighbor or the area changes for the worst, a greedy RV landlord raises the rent - you just move. This way we will have the opportunity to meet others in the clubhouse and at the pool. There is always activities to get involved in. And people always sitting outside their RVs ready to socialize, unlike in regular neighborhoods. We would be surrounded by mostly people from the north who have little or no family there. No cliques or family clans to exclude us......

Old 09-03-2014, 10:34 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,437,255 times
i think living outside of them is better. gated communities are an illusion. people are no more safer in them than outside them.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:36 PM

3,839 posts, read 3,142,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i think living outside of them is better. gated communities are an illusion. people are no more safer in them than outside them.
Renting is a very decision. Gives you time to look around.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
When we looked into Gated communities it was mostly the HOAs that turned us off. Where my SIL lives people can't even plant a tree or flower garden without permission - and vegetables are prohibited. No fences of any kind. Only 2 pets allowed. They need permission for painting their house. It goes on and on and the costs keep increasing for maintenance. It's not like you even own your own home - the Association does! It dictates everything and anything you can do with or on your own property. How do people live like that? I can see why it's like a ghost town when we visit her. People in these GC's have a choice of sitting inside their home or Lanais or getting in their cars and leaving for the day, perhaps at the nearest clubhouse or shopping center. That's not for us.

As for being safe - you're right. Several homes in her GC were broken into and robbed. Any nimble person can go right over the fences in the dark. They're not patrolled or high enough to keep miscreants out.

Renting is the best option when someone moves to FL I think. As RJM said, it gives time to look around without being hurried.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:44 AM

3,276 posts, read 3,394,300 times
I find meeting people in the pool area easy.
Most people will talk in this casual setting.
Easy to initiate conversation, even if you are on the deck with a book.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I find meeting people in the pool area easy.
Most people will talk in this casual setting.
Easy to initiate conversation, even if you are on the deck with a book.
Yep! In the RV parks and Resorts both the Pool and the Clubhouse are the places to meet others. In fact just walking around the place people will stop to ask questions or make a comment or whatever. They'll ask with site you're on or what kind of RV you have, if you're a snow-bird etc. They'll invite you to whatever is going on in the place. It's so totally different than living in a neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala