U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 04:38 PM

3,276 posts, read 3,390,757 times

Advertisements

Sort of native Floridian. Ochlawaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 06:51 AM

9 posts, read 12,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i think living outside of them is better. gated communities are an illusion. people are no more safer in them than outside them.
We just moved to FL from NH and all of FL is a illusion. Whether it is the saftey of gates out front with the back of the houses open to a golf course that anyone can walk across. The villages is crazy some parts are cowboy barns , spanish villas form 18 century, boat docks with sunking boats. Everything is happy happy happy!!!!
Dont get me wrong my family loves FL but what you see is not what is real.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:26 PM

5 posts, read 7,962 times
To the person who wants to know why southerners hate yankees.
To say the least, HATE is a strong word. Being born and raised in Fla, we don't hate the people themselves. We just don't like their ways. More to the point, we saw Florida and it's real estate leave our reach when Disney came. The wages back then were lower than northerners made(still are), and lots and lots of people grabbed up houses we couldn't afford because everybody and their lil red dog came to retire. In turn, the prices of houses went up. More and more houses were built. Everythng grew. We saw alot of our hangout places be torn down to build more houses for more and more and more people... They could (and still can)afford to pay cash or pay more in the long run.
People in the south are really laid back and the old adage "fast as a new york second" isn't something we subscribe to. I'm older and wiser now, and have learned it's not where you're from, but how you treat people. I try to be polite and always patient. My earlier experiences didn't reflect that idea from alot of people from up north. I worked out in the field with the public in Orlando; so had regular encounters. Personally, i think it's more of a small town vs. city attitude.
If it makes u feel any better, we have retired here in mid tenn one light town, and the locals hate us too...if u ain't from Tenn, you are ignored, and referred to as "the ones from Fla". It is true about they will invite u to church; but would NEVER consider inviting u to any kind of gathering. It's ok though. The gossip is rampant. We too are going back to Fla. I lost my best friend from Ocala area. Been wondering about social stuff in Fla too. I think with everybody in their boxes, i.e.computer, tablet, phone), people are more comfortable talking one way. I still like 2 way communication. Hope u and yours find what ur looking for in Ocala area.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:43 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,628,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassie99 View Post
Born and raised in SC and now living in Gainesville, FL. I'm just going to be blunt. Southerners, especially in long established communities, have an inherent distrust of northern transplants. Some downright hate them. Yes, their life revolves around family and church, so if you want to get in good with them, join a church. Lots of people join churches just for the social aspect. As for the area where you are looking, that is OLD Florida, and they are not going to welcome you with open arms. There is an old southern saying "To have a friend, be a friend." You'll have to go to them, they aren't likely to come to you. I don't know if you garden, but the garden club is the best place on earth to make lasting friends in a new community. You automatically have something in common, and gardeners can lead you to all the "hidden" events in the community. If you don't garden, go to the Chamber of Commerce and find organizations you might like to join and be an active part of. Do volunteer work, especially at schools and hospitals. Schools are best. Once you have established yourself as a true part of the community, things will change. Just be wary if anyone ever says "Bless your heart." In some cases, it's the same as saying "You're an idiot."

In short, don't sit at home and wait to be invited to BBQs. Throw one of your own and invite a few people in your neighborhood. If you see people sitting on the front porch or in the yard, go over and talk, or at least wave. In the South, you get back what you give, and then some, but first, you have to give.

What a backwards way of thinking.

When you're the "new kid on the block" how nice it would be to be somewhat welcomed. That used to be called "protocol", you welcome the new people into the area, even if it just a simple "welcome to the area".

But between your thinking and the transient nature of FL, than throw in the "attitude" that many people from the north do have, it explains a lot about FL.

Have lived all over the country and found FL to be the least friendly state.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:46 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,628,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpowie View Post
We just moved to FL from NH and all of FL is a illusion. Whether it is the saftey of gates out front with the back of the houses open to a golf course that anyone can walk across. The villages is crazy some parts are cowboy barns , spanish villas form 18 century, boat docks with sunking boats. Everything is happy happy happy!!!!
You mean those 4 ft walls than anyone in halfway decent shape can get over and the $9 an hour security guard doesn't make you feel secure...LOL.

I totally agree, talk about a false sense of security.

If the you know what ever hits the fan in this country the many "have nots" in FL will be heading right towards those gated communities first, under the impression whether it is true or not that "those people" have what we need.

They're a joke.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:11 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,323,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpowie View Post
We just moved to FL from NH and all of FL is a illusion. Whether it is the saftey of gates out front with the back of the houses open to a golf course that anyone can walk across.
You must be talking about where my SIL lives in The Villages. Houses get broken into in her gated community. The criminals know people are away for the summer and sneak in at night. Even in winter her GC is like a ghost town. Many homes are empty, for sale... whatever.

Quote:
The villages is crazy some parts are cowboy barns , spanish villas form 18 century, boat docks with sunking boats. Everything is happy happy happy!!!!
It's probably real to them if they love it.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlnative58 View Post
To the person who wants to know why southerners hate yankees.
To say the least, HATE is a strong word. Being born and raised in Fla, we don't hate the people themselves. We just don't like their ways.
I was mainly talking about the TN southerners. I hardly met any native Floridians. Probably 98% of those I've met in the resorts and campgrounds were from the more northern states.

Quote:
More to the point, we saw Florida and it's real estate leave our reach when Disney came. The wages back then were lower than northerners made(still are), and lots and lots of people grabbed up houses we couldn't afford because everybody and their lil red dog came to retire. In turn, the prices of houses went up. More and more houses were built. Everythng grew. We saw alot of our hangout places be torn down to build more houses for more and more and more people... They could (and still can)afford to pay cash or pay more in the long run.
I can see that causing hard feelings.

Quote:
People in the south are really laid back and the old adage "fast as a new york second" isn't something we subscribe to. I'm older and wiser now, and have learned it's not where you're from, but how you treat people. I try to be polite and always patient. My earlier experiences didn't reflect that idea from alot of people from up north. I worked out in the field with the public in Orlando; so had regular encounters. Personally, i think it's more of a small town vs. city attitude.
I learned people from the cities are very different than country people. Talk about "culture shock" when I moved to TN! I thought I was in a foreign country.

Quote:
If it makes u feel any better, we have retired here in mid tenn one light town, and the locals hate us too...if u ain't from Tenn, you are ignored, and referred to as "the ones from Fla". It is true about they will invite u to church; but would NEVER consider inviting u to any kind of gathering.
You got that right. I consider that hypocritical of them. No matter how much you try to be-friend them it's a waste of time.

Quote:
It's ok though. The gossip is rampant. We too are going back to Fla. I lost my best friend from Ocala area. Been wondering about social stuff in Fla too. I think with everybody in their boxes, i.e.computer, tablet, phone), people are more comfortable talking one way. I still like 2 way communication. Hope u and yours find what ur looking for in Ocala area.
Thank you - we hope so too.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
What a backwards way of thinking.

When you're the "new kid on the block" how nice it would be to be somewhat welcomed. That used to be called "protocol", you welcome the new people into the area, even if it just a simple "welcome to the area".
That's what we did in the area of NY where I came from. We went out of our way to welcome the new person and tried to make them feel at home - not drag them into our churches and ignore them if they showed up. I found that treatment rude, cruel and offensive. I remember the day I moved into an apt for awhile in Queens NY. Two women came over with covered dishes of food and others just to introduce themselves. I quickly felt like I lived there for months. Not here in TN.

To the southerners: If you're going to invite a new person to your church make sure you INVITE them to sit with you and your family if you see them there, not just greet them and walk off, leaving them standing there alone. If you don't want them to sit with you, don't invite them!

Quote:
But between your thinking and the transient nature of FL, than throw in the "attitude" that many people from the north do have, it explains a lot about FL.

Have lived all over the country and found FL to be the least friendly state.
I have heard this from others and that is why we don't want to buy property there. We fear we'll end up in the same situation we're in here. We can't exactly knock on doors asking the people where they're from before we buy a house there. In an RV park if we're not satisfied, happy, whatever,... we simply hook up our RV and move to another Park. Selling a house and moving is not that simple.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:38 PM

2,316 posts, read 1,903,095 times
I lived in NJ till age 15. We moved to Florida then, and 7 years later I ended up in a neighborhood in which I lived for 28 years. We all knew each other and it was great.

A misfortune came, and I sold my place and move to another SoFla town. What a nightmare!!

Now I know what outsiders go through.

I'm ready to move to a house on stilts in the middle of a gator filled swamp.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I lived in NJ till age 15. We moved to Florida then, and 7 years later I ended up in a neighborhood in which I lived for 28 years. We all knew each other and it was great.

A misfortune came, and I sold my place and move to another SoFla town. What a nightmare!!

Now I know what outsiders go through.

I'm ready to move to a house on stilts in the middle of a gator filled swamp.
It's the luck of the draw. A women a met years ago, also from NYC, moved to a neighborhood in Nashville and it was great. She loved it there. There were a lot of people from all over the country, not just Tennesseans. The music industry draws a lot of people from everywhere. She just hit the right place and admitted it herself. And there was a man I knew from another Board who was from NYC also. He moved to Knoxville with his family to open a resturant. Having family there, they couldn't care less about making friends with the locals and so were quite happy. So it does happen.

You were unfortunate to end up in such a dreadful place in SoFla. I can relate. You may be happier in the stilt house with gators for neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala