Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:06 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the Ocala area for over 30 years (in the country) and never had to worry about bears (never seen one near my property). The folks who primarily need to worry are closer to the Ocala National Forest. The only critters I have had to contend with are squirrels, possums, racoons, and armidillos which are nothing more than a nuissance animal. Most folks don't need a secure barn. Good fences seem do a good job of keeping larger animals away. Some areas are better than others, just ask potential local neighbors wherever you think you might want to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 11:22 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I have lived in the Ocala area for over 30 years (in the country) and never had to worry about bears (never seen one near my property). The folks who primarily need to worry are closer to the Ocala National Forest. The only critters I have had to contend with are squirrels, possums, racoons, and armidillos which are nothing more than a nuissance animal. Most folks don't need a secure barn. Good fences seem do a good job of keeping larger animals away. Some areas are better than others, just ask potential local neighbors wherever you think you might want to live.
There are bears in every rural part of the county, just because one does not see them does not mean they arent there.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:01 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
My whole point is that most bears do not frequently create issues. I had a farm in which there always food waste in the trash and never once found evidence of a bear attempting to get into the garbage.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:35 PM

56 posts, read 152,152 times
I love squirrels although I recognize most people do not... the others unfortunately carry EPM - at least here in Michigan, but I know what to do to keep them out of my hay loft and barn. We have tons of black bear in the northern part of the state - they run hot wire around the fence perimeter and have windows with bars on them. If it gets really hot at night and you have to have them in, there must be some kind of ventilation to keep the barn tolerable - right?

I have no problem trying to "fit in with the existing" wildlife. As long as they're not the two-legged types, I can deal with them peacefully .

Old 06-27-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamma Miiagi View Post
I love squirrels although I recognize most people do not... the others unfortunately carry EPM - at least here in Michigan, but I know what to do to keep them out of my hay loft and barn. We have tons of black bear in the northern part of the state - they run hot wire around the fence perimeter and have windows with bars on them. If it gets really hot at night and you have to have them in, there must be some kind of ventilation to keep the barn tolerable - right?

I have no problem trying to "fit in with the existing" wildlife. As long as they're not the two-legged types, I can deal with them peacefully .
Our barn has bars on the windows, we retrofitted it with a big exhaust fan that we run at night, its a tolerable 75F on average at night in the barn.
Totally agree with you about the 2-legged critters!

Old 06-28-2011, 08:56 AM

Great! So now I've got a working plan... now to find the farm!!!

I'm thinking either an attic fan or a oversized 'squirrel cage' furnace fan might do?

And I don't mind that it's slow there... I'm really tired of all the drama and basic B.S. from city life. Where I am now used to be a quiet little town... but now everyone is into everyone else's business - even to the point of checking to see if your dam* flowers match the trim on your house!

I think they don't have enough of their own stuff to do - maybe because no one here has a JOB!

Either way, I'm a potter (makes pottery, not smokes pot) and a horse & other animal type... I definately don't care about cooridinating my flowers with my house's trim.

Any suggestions about how/where to find an affordable smallish farm (5-15 acres) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Terri

Old 06-28-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Great! So now I've got a working plan... now to find the farm!!!

I'm thinking either an attic fan or a oversized 'squirrel cage' furnace fan might do?

And I don't mind that it's slow there... I'm really tired of all the drama and basic B.S. from city life. Where I am now used to be a quiet little town... but now everyone is into everyone else's business - even to the point of checking to see if your dam* flowers match the trim on your house!

I think they don't have enough of their own stuff to do - maybe because no one here has a JOB!

Either way, I'm a potter (makes pottery, not smokes pot) and a horse & other animal type... I definately don't care about cooridinating my flowers with my house's trim.

Any suggestions about how/where to find an affordable smallish farm (5-15 acres) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Terri
Honestly, I would contact a realtor here, there are tons of them......also, there are lots and lots of properties for sale here, it all depends in what area you wish to live, you know?
I know people that just use box fans in their barns, too.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:34 PM

You sound pretty happy where you are - any suggestions? Since I have no idea of the different areas, I could use a little guidance.

Thanks,
T.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
You sound pretty happy where you are - any suggestions? Since I have no idea of the different areas, I could use a little guidance.

Thanks,
T.
I would be happy to help, let me ask a couple of questions first....
1) What breed of horses do you have?
2) Are you looking to breed, train, anything like that?
Or just ride and enjoy living in the country?
3) Forgive me, as I cant remember, do you have school-age children?

There are so many different areas, and people with certain breeds, etc to congregate around people raising similar breeds and so forth, it helps to have that info!
Also, how many acres are you looking for?

Old 06-28-2011, 04:42 PM

My son is grown and fortunately for me (on the selfish side ) does NOT like horses! My horses are mostly retired TB's that just hang out and eat, poop and keep me company. I will, however, be buying a horse that I can actually RIDE. I've always ridden dressage and still will, but I don't really care about showing any more and will also want to "just RIDE" - you know, pack a sandwich and go for a trail ride!

I'll ride and make my pottery and TRY to find some peace in my life.

Maybe I'll find an orphaned squirrel to foster, that would make me happy too What kind of squirrels do you have in Ocala?

Thanks,
t
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala