Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2006, 06:02 PM

34 posts, read 345,608 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We rent a home in Marion oaks. We moved from California to here about 2 months ago. We have our heart set on a home from a certain builder. They have been showing us Spec homes because they are already built and so much cheaper then starting from scratch.

When I asked to see a home on the list that had everythign I wanted the sales lady said it was a great home, "but" on the south side, not the north side.

Whats the difference? She made it seem like it was somewhere in the ghetto. We right now live I guess on the north side. So does anyone know the difference??

Again, it happened today when starting up trash service. When we said we lived in Marion Oaks, she said she needed to know if we were south side or north side. And when I told her i didnt know she said I would know if i lived in the south side, like if it was bad!

Anyone know anything about this!??

Thanks,

Clarissa
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 02:32 PM

29 posts, read 172,787 times
The north side seems to be the desirable side. I own a home on the south side (south of rt 484). It is nice there, also. There is an older section of Marion Oaks on the south side, and it is a bit more crowded there, and the houses are older and the lots are smaller. Some people associate this area with all of the southern side. Naturally, what most people consider to be the 'better' section is where the newer, bigger homes are being built. The closer you get to the bottom of Marion Oaks, it seems the roads get worse and some of the houses seem to be run down a bit.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:45 PM

34 posts, read 345,608 times
Default Belleview... can anyone tell me about it?

We were looking to buy in Marion Oaks, Ocala Florida but we are still deciding. The schools arent great over there. So I was thinking of Belleview. '

Can anyone tell me about it? How close is it to Ocala and Orlando? Shopping centers? Bugs? Is it like in the woods where Marion Oaks is?

Old 11-06-2006, 06:42 PM

627 posts, read 2,841,055 times
Belleview is a better alternative than Marion Oaks. Silver Spring Shores, right outside of Beleview, is not too hot (Marion Oaks is better than SSS).

Belleview is close to Ocala and the Villages, you are within minutes of either. You will not have to drive 20 or 30 minutes to shop and you will be pretty close to either of their two elementary schools, newer Middle and newer High school campus'. Plus you can also enroll your kids in Marion Virtual School as well.

If you are looking at homes, get the address' and check their Tax records for prior sales prices and taxes! Also check the Sex offender registry. ALL of these will help you make an informed choice and give you power to wheel and deal! I know I posted the links in another Ocala thread, but if you need them, I will post them here for you too!

Good Luck!!

PS: Marion Oaks (back yander in the woods) does NOT get Cable TV / Internet service, many areas do not get DSL... you will be stuck with dial-up and dish service. Phone lines are crackly sounding as well.

Last edited by MyHomeIsInOcala; 11-06-2006 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: PS

Old 04-26-2007, 07:46 PM

3 posts, read 17,110 times
I build homes in Marion Oaks. The North and South issue relates to which side of 484 you live on. The newer homes are mostly being built on the North side. On the South side construction is just beginning in Unit 11 near Timberwalk. It is relatively quiet there and is only just South.

I hear the rumors about the old section of Marion Oaks (South) and the crime problems although I have not witnessed anything of the sort. I have had occasional theft problems on jobsites but it is mostly the crews that are working on that particular job that walk off with material and tools.

Choose your builder very carefully and check out the boards for complaints. Good luck!!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:05 PM

627 posts, read 2,841,055 times
We have been in Marion Oaks for a few years, I see NO real difference in the North or South sides of 484... the worst section is the old, cluster home neighborhood in the center of this Sub Division.

The roads are no better or worse on either side (all bad IMO).

It is OK, but, there are nicer areas of Ocala to consider.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:41 PM

18 posts, read 87,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarissairene View Post
Hello,

We rent a home in Marion oaks. We moved from California to here about 2 months ago. We have our heart set on a home from a certain builder. They have been showing us Spec homes because they are already built and so much cheaper then starting from scratch.

When I asked to see a home on the list that had everythign I wanted the sales lady said it was a great home, "but" on the south side, not the north side.

Whats the difference? She made it seem like it was somewhere in the ghetto. We right now live I guess on the north side. So does anyone know the difference??

Again, it happened today when starting up trash service. When we said we lived in Marion Oaks, she said she needed to know if we were south side or north side. And when I told her i didnt know she said I would know if i lived in the south side, like if it was bad!

Anyone know anything about this!??

Thanks,

Clarissa
We didnt know the difference when we first moved here. Well we learned very quickly. I would not even allow my children to ride there bikes on the south side alone. I went with them. And they spent most of the time in the house. It is terrible. I now live on the north side of Marion Oaks, still renting. The schools are poor, I am not happy with them. But they do offer after school tutoring which is free for our children. And I do not let my children take the bus. I drive them. Living on the north side is much better. During the day it is not bad, but take a ride up by the basketball courts at nite. You want some crack. There is alot of that stuff going on. There are many nice familes over on that side. The biggest problem is that the police dont patrol alot over there. They are too busy taking care of rt 200 by wallmart. Do not buy a house anywhere on that side.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarissairene View Post
We were looking to buy in Marion Oaks, Ocala Florida but we are still deciding. The schools arent great over there. So I was thinking of Belleview. '

Can anyone tell me about it? How close is it to Ocala and Orlando? Shopping centers? Bugs? Is it like in the woods where Marion Oaks is?
I live in Marion Oaks. And the schools are not that great. The principle is trying very hard. A new middle school is going up a few blocks away. I live on the north side of 484 and am very happy. Very quite and no one bothers me. My children are just meeting friends at school and miss it. They now are both AB Honor roll students. Thats after free tutoring that Marion County offers. The shopping is better down here. And I feel safer I do not like Belleview at all. And I do not like the schools. I would rather keep my children in Marion Oaks then Belleview

Old 06-27-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHomeIsInOcala View Post
Belleview is a better alternative than Marion Oaks. Silver Spring Shores, right outside of Beleview, is not too hot (Marion Oaks is better than SSS).

Belleview is close to Ocala and the Villages, you are within minutes of either. You will not have to drive 20 or 30 minutes to shop and you will be pretty close to either of their two elementary schools, newer Middle and newer High school campus'. Plus you can also enroll your kids in Marion Virtual School as well.

If you are looking at homes, get the address' and check their Tax records for prior sales prices and taxes! Also check the Sex offender registry. ALL of these will help you make an informed choice and give you power to wheel and deal! I know I posted the links in another Ocala thread, but if you need them, I will post them here for you too!

Good Luck!!

PS: Marion Oaks (back yander in the woods) does NOT get Cable TV / Internet service, many areas do not get DSL... you will be stuck with dial-up and dish service. Phone lines are crackly sounding as well.
You are very imformative. And that is true. We are on the north side of 484 in Marion Oaks. And we do have DSL but no cable and we do not have Dish due to the fact we would need it on our house and we rent. We are in the back of the woods. But my kids enjoy it. Comming from Long Island my kids get to play in the woods and discover things we had never seen. Imagine seeing a family of Peacocks hanging out in a new home just walking around.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:09 PM

102 posts, read 553,869 times
wjhats wrong with silver spings shores

the area im in i dont see anything bad

Maybe you knwo something i dont???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala