U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-31-2006, 06:55 PM

3 posts, read 27,855 times
Default Best place to live around Ocala?

Would love to relocate the family from the North East to Florida. Just came back from the Ocala area and loved it! Would love to own a small ranch, but don't know anything about jobs, housing or schools. I am currently working in the Facilities Maintenance in a Supervisor level, stronge construction background, is there any work in Florida? Any input from anyone on areas of Ocala or surronding areas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 21,315 times
I would love to live in Ocala, currently live in Tampa and have a 25 mile drive to work everyday. i cant help you with the part of Ocala to stay away from but I can help in jobs. Marion County has a website that has links to current jobs http://www.marioncountyfl.org/ also dont forget the ocala economic development council website, it has a list of all major businesses in Ocala http://www.ocalaedc.org/

Good luck.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:28 PM

2,141 posts, read 4,759,887 times
OK. Here's the inside information. Most of the data you'll find online is outdated. Usually from a 2000 census. A lot has happened since 2000! If you pull up your'e own town you'll see it first hand. Ocala is horse country, it's quite beautiful. It's one of the only areas of Florida you'll get a change of seasons. Horses up there are a big thing. Where you normally see sports on tv in resteraunts, there you'll see horse shows. The owner of the New York Yankees owns a Ramada Inn there, and if you like the Yankees you'll love this place. Lots of sports memorabelia. The bad points. There are two prisons on gainseville rd., and a lot of mining quarries so you may hear rock crushers through the night. When you get there you'll see what I mean. If I had to choose a place in Florida, I would choose Ocala! There are some beautiful lakes. Silver Springs is a theme park just outside of Ocala. It's really a beautifal place. A lot of the posting you'll find on these blogs are factual and appear to be negative. And yes some people are jaded. A lot of information are due to sales of homes and developements and they'll tell you what you want to hear to close the deal. When I post here I try to be as accurate as possible and most of the time it sounds like negativity, but it's just the unfortunate truth. The most accurate information you can get are from the natives and the long term residents. Wev'e seen the change first hand and know the history of most areas. My wife and I are both natives we are from So. Florida. My brother lives in that area along with our families. we can tell you quite a bit about the history. Wer'e not trying to sell you anything or keep you from buying anything.

Last edited by firemed; 11-04-2006 at 05:36 PM..

Old 11-05-2006, 09:44 AM

627 posts, read 2,048,234 times
Hmmm.... Depends.

The median income is still low here and unless you want a wee tiny house in cluster home community, with taxes averaging $2500+ a year, you will be paying over $200K (anything over 1200 sq ft) for the same home you could have bought in 2003/04 for less than $100K.

[CENTER]Always check the TAX RECORDS for Prior Sales on ANY home you buy or rent!
Marion County Tax Records: http://216.255.243.131
FL Sex Offender Seach: http://www.fdle.state.fl.us[/CENTER]

Rent if you can, you will save up to 50% of a traditional mortgage on a newer home.

As home prices will continue to drop, Foreclosures and Short-sales are also something to keep your eyes open for over the next 24+ months. That will be the best time to buy… If buying a new home, demand a lower price, Do not fall into the trap of "free upgrades" like appliances, landscape, window treatments and so forth, because in reality your are paying for these things for 30 years in your mortgage… that is builder / investor ploy. You are not getting those things as freebies; you might as well buy high end sub-zero appliances, pick your own landscape, etc. and call it a day, it would actually be cheaper in the long run.

If you want or are used to High-speed internet and Cable, they are unavailable in many areas here. Check First!!!

Doctor visits are impossible to get in a hurry if needed. I have cancer and had to wait over 6 weeks to see a physician, my kids had to wait a week and were sick! What a joke!

But if you like Bugs, Bad Drivers, Traffic Woes, Over-Crowded Schools, Overpriced Homes, Grossly High Tax Assessments, Bumpy / Pot-holed Roads, Waking up to Fresh Smoky Air (from “controlled” burning at night), Lots of Sex-Offenders, and you do not need to go to the Doctor or ER, you will LOVE Ocala!

[CENTER]Oh, but I do love the Flea Markets![/CENTER]

Old 11-05-2006, 09:57 AM

13,496 posts, read 24,907,857 times
Wow, so many people seem interested in that area. We're also interested in the Marion/Lake C0. area.

Thank you for providing the links. I definitely want to check them out.

My question is this~does anyone know anything about living in the Ocala Forest area? What type of homes are there? Cabins, condos, etc?

Old 11-05-2006, 10:07 AM

627 posts, read 2,048,234 times
Look in
  • Trulia.com
  • Zillow.com
  • Realtor.com
under the zip codes of 32179 (Oklawaha / Ocala Forest town, just north of Weirsdale) or in 32784 (Umatilla)… both in that area and Umatilla is in Lake & Marion.

Hope it helps!

PS, I like Trulia better because it gives the address and you can look up tax info and sex offender info!

Old 11-05-2006, 10:25 AM

13,496 posts, read 24,907,857 times
Thank you so much for that info. I just got a BIG shock. I followed your link of sex offenders and put my brother's addy in there in central Fla. He has a LOT of offenders within 5 miles of his house.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:02 PM

4 posts, read 19,087 times
I was born in Marion county and have lived there off and on. Its a beautiful place but of course there are bad parts! As for living in the forest area it varies I guess...just depends on where you live! Out there you have horse farms and really nice homes including(john travoltas) than you have honkys spread out!! The historic district is nice but I havent been there in the past few years so who knows how things are now!!! Theres not much to do there unless you are into the outdoors or horses!! Marion county has a town square(I guess thats what you call it) with restuarants and shops..with horse statues all over!! Tho most resturants are located off of 200 but I've heard most have closed due to thee econnomy. People who have lived there or visited refer to ocala as "slow cala"!!!!!!!! I live in miami and know first hand about bad areas and not all of florida has "bad areas" like miami but ocala is one of them!! Theres alot of drug activity there LIKE MOST PLACES!! YOU just have to research where you really wanna live there!! I was raised in Ocala park estates and it was once a beautiful neighborhood but now im told more houses are being built and more and more of the bad are moving in!! Do lots of research never go by one persons opinion to each his own!! And make sure the info you are getting is up to date!! Good luck

Old 06-07-2010, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 21,007 times
Is there any cities that you will recommend closer to tampa that has a good atmosphere but mainly family oriented and low in crime? We are a young family and could transfer our jobs to Ocala but we would like more family oriented suburbs but again closer to the tampa area. Thanks !

Old 06-09-2010, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 18,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeiry08 View Post
Is there any cities that you will recommend closer to tampa that has a good atmosphere but mainly family oriented and low in crime? We are a young family and could transfer our jobs to Ocala but we would like more family oriented suburbs but again closer to the tampa area. Thanks !
North i would suggest any of the communities located north along SR 589. like the spring hill area, odessa, Lutz. its a direct toll road to tampa. if you like ocala, you might want to check out Citrus county, but beware of the reitrement communities everywhere. granted there are young people here, you just gotta find them. oh and you would have to travel to ocala (40 minutes) or tampa (75 minutes) for a good paying or decent paying job.

hoped that help a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala