Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2014, 07:07 AM

135 posts, read 258,032 times

Advertisements

I moved into a house that was supposedly completely renovated. I discovered that the heat did not work, and my landlord admitted he had let me move in thinking he "had time" to fix it. He installed an electric central heat unit which I could have told you at first sign was not sufficient to heat the 728 sf of this house. The heater is in a hall closet, and he did not install the door, so most of the heat goes up into the attic. I have tried to get him to install the door, but he is claiming back problems and not being able to get in touch with his handyman, who I'm sure is just sick to death of his crap and not answering his phone.

Anyway, I tried leaning the door up in the opening and covering the holes around it as best I can, but I really don't think this heater is sufficient to heat this house. Last night it went down to 25 here in Gainesville and the heater ran all night long on 70. When I awoke, the house was at 58 degrees. I don't know if it's because the heat is going up into the attic or a too-small unit but I suspect it's a bit of both.

So what I need to know is the letter of the law on heating. I know landlords are supposed to provide sufficient heat, but what is "sufficient"? I can't find that anywhere. In most states, heat to bring the residence up to 70 F is standard. I just can't find that in the FL laws.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 11:23 AM

35,666 posts, read 21,030,020 times
it mentions they have to provide a working HVAC that meets the sq. of the house. - efficiency wise ? How about insulation? I own a electric blanket and a small space heater- land lords will only do so much.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:40 PM

6,623 posts, read 7,333,260 times
They have to provide heat but I do not know the temperature they have to meet.I think you will have to call the local building code officials to see what the custom is.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:34 PM

7 posts, read 7,124 times
If you were given written information that included information regarding AC and heat in your rental and it does not exist. The land lord has violated the law and you may file a complaint with the DBPR to receive a full refund of your deposit and void your contract.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:40 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,497,944 times
Sorry for bumping a slightly-older thread, and you may already have the issue resolved. In any case, this is from FL Statutes Chap 83, section 51, subsection 5: "Functioning facilities for heat during winter, running water, and hot water." Now, as you've already seen, there's nothing that gets too specific on the details of how well that's supposed to work. Honestly, I don't really want my government getting too involved in my affairs, and I think that's likely why it's written as vague as it is.

The beauty of being a tenant is that you are not obligated to lease the property for any longer than the written lease acknowledges. So if, at the appropriate time in your lease term, the landlord has not remedied the situation to your liking, you can simply give them notice that you're not going to renew for another term. Then, you can go find another property to rent. I realize that moving is a pain in the rear, but unless you want to spend the money to purchase your own property and so become the only one responsible for maintaining your house, then you'll be subject to less-than-desirable landlord practices. It's just the nature of things.

I sincerely hope it works out for you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of: