Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 02:11 PM

10 posts, read 18,563 times

Advertisements

Background: Just purchased home on 10 acres rural levy county. I apparently am FPC10 (meaning I'm more than 5 miles from a fire department and there are no fire hydrants) I have a site built home. Built in 1942 but electric, roof, and AC all updated. The realtor/previous owner helped me before closing as things were hectic and yes I was stupid I didn't go get my own quote. This policy he got was $1600 a year. 2 weeks after moving in I got a cancellation notice. I called to see why they stated because I have planted pine trees (which I didn't plant and don't intent to harvest for at least 20 years). It is 6 acres so not like I can just cut them down. So, now I have called 5 different agents and only got two quotes back one at $4100 the other at $4500-$5900 (depending on deductible). I really dont know what to do. I"m scared if I get lender placed insurance it could be upwards of $10,000 per year which is INSANE. We have chickens and goats which apparently causes another issue. I wouldn't have bought out in the country if I didn't want to have farm animals. I just don't understand a) how the policy was written to be cancelled two weeks later. I feel like I was duped and they knew it would be difficult to get insurance and b) how I can't find a policy under $4000 a year. I don't care if coverage for animals is excluded and the pine trees aren't a business to me. Does anyone have ANY suggestions on where to go or what to do in this situation????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 07:35 AM

6 posts, read 23,051 times
try peoples trust insurance after being screwed by allstate like everyone else here>i went hunting,small company but if you read the bio you'll understand why they exist'peoplestrustinsurance.com/hope they can help/we have great coverage live 15 miles from you

Old 04-29-2015, 07:35 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,351 times
Sad to hear, wish you the best though, that is one reason I have decided not to buy in Ocala, and in FL in general.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:48 PM

6,475 posts, read 10,343,886 times
My best advice is to consult an independent insurance agent to research policies.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:53 PM

I've consulted 5 independent agents three of whom couldn't help at all the other two $4600/$5900 a year quotes. Original policy was $1600

Old 04-30-2015, 01:06 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
What do those pine trees have to do with Ins?

Old 04-30-2015, 07:50 AM

6,475 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Sadly, insurance companies are complete dirt bags. There hasn't been a major disaster resulting in major private insurance claims in this state for several years.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:00 PM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
I would write the state insurance commission and ask for help. Both with understanding what went wrong with the first policy and what price range you should be in.

I think your problem is that you live to far from a fire department and a source of water. Thus if a fire starts you could have more damage than if you were close to a fire station. The risk is higher and thus the premium. You could be in a flood plain.
Do you have a pond that water could be taken from if there was a fire? This may help your rate.

The state has an extension service that may help since you have farm. try Local Offices - UF/IFAS Extension: Solutions for Your Life

I think I would take the lowest price insurance you can find to avoid the lender placed insurance. But having said that can you as the lender for help in locating a company that you can deal with directly?

My guess is that it will be very hard to solve the problem before you insurance ends so you are stuck.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
What do those pine trees have to do with Ins?

They told me that they are "business exposure"

Old 05-02-2015, 12:54 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,351 times
So they are looking at the pine trees as a business exposure? As in intending to sell pine trees as it were a part of a home based business? I don't get it. Sounds crazy to me. I looked it up, and read something that homeowners insurance was not designed to cover business exposures, as it is not something covered in premiums.

AAIS Perspective—Business exposures and HO insurance 10/07

http://www.quora.com/Work-at-Home-Wh...er-my-business

just educating myself on this I guess....this whole homeowners insurance thing is the scary part about buying in FL....imo...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of: