Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 04:34 PM

6,623 posts, read 7,333,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefpc View Post
This has been a valuable thread to me. I just discovered OTOW last week with a huge two page spread in the Sun Sentinel here in Coral Springs FL. I am so tired of the crime, noise, traffic and just about anything else negative you can find. I really am very impressed with all I have read about OTOW but of course am also looking at other communities near by. I understand the lease and deed differences. I am very interested in the Indigo East section as well as the Candler Hills sections. I have two Cocker Spaniels, well behaved, but will this be a problem. There does not seem to be any fencing anywhere on any homesite. How possible is it to erect the temporary black iron fence panels you see at home depot for say a 10 X 10 area? Also, being a Canadian transplanted to FL years ago, and not really being "legal" I guess you could say to stay here year round (which I have done for 15 years anyways), what are the repercussions when it comes to HOA applications? How strictly is this enforced? Also, Blanco111 brought up a point which I also was told about but didn't really understand, OTOW is offering savings if you have them assist is selling your current home. Does this only apply to a new home purchase in OTOW? I am more interested in the resale properties. I am open to both deeded and leased, but leaning more to Indigo East as I love doing my own maintenance outside. Only exercise I seem to get lol! Any input here is very much appreciated. I am hoping to drive up to OTOW next month but also would like to see Summerglen and Stone Creek as well. Thanks!!
Very low crime.Check the Sherif web site for crime map of county, facebook posting of crimes etc.

Indigo and Candler are similar except that Indigo pays a much lower HOA fee as they do not have access to most of OTOTW admenties. But you can pay an extra monthly fee and use them. This (pool only) is a good option for someone that just wants a pool and club house.

The dogs should not be a problem. In Candler their are fences for dogs. Note this may not be the case in Indigo as the HOA rules maybe different. You have to get approval for a fence. In Candler the ones I know of are white 4 feet tall (not higher) and must be behind the house. You can not fence in your whole back yard. I would push for getting the approval for the fence before you buy but this may not be possible. Would not surprise me that approval may not be given for all lots. I think they want the fence out of sight.

No one will care what country you are from. There are Canadian citizens who own homes here. I do not think you will have to mention the subject. I assume you have a drivers license etc. Do not know if you can qualify for the homestead exemption. But again, OTOTW is not involved in these items.

You will have to document your age and the drivers license will do that.

I do not know if they will ask for a social security number. Seems like everyone does but it should not be needed for buying a home. Selling a home is different. The SS# will probably be needed at closing for tax reporting to the IRS. There is a title company in the Square that is partly owned by the attorney that represents OTOTW. I would stop in and ask them if you would have any problems selling your home due to being a Canadian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 08:49 PM

51 posts, read 221,949 times
You can definitely have fences (must be white) in some homes in Candler Hills, as we have one. However, there are some lots where you can't have them (i.e., if your house backs up to the golf course). I'm not sure if there are other restrictions besides golf course lots. You also can take care of your own lawn in Candler Hills if you are so inclined.

Stone Creek also allows black aluminum fences on some lots. I know if your house backs up to a street you can't have one. Not sure about other restrictions there.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:37 PM

3 posts, read 11,703 times
Thank you folks, your responses were most helpful. I didn't see much in the way of fencing in any real estate listings and was a little concerned. I am older and like to let the kids out for a few minutes in the am without having to suit up and get leashes out etc. Sounds silly to most I suppose, but at my age, having that 10 minute reprieve is important first thing in the morning. Also, rjm1cc, would you be kind enough to pass along the name of the lawyer/title company in the Square, I would like to touch base with them to get some more answers before driving up there in a few weeks. Sounds like Candler Hills is ideal for me. Still will keep an eye on Indigo but the more I am hearing about Candler Hills east and west, I am thinking this part of the community shines. Thx again for your help.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefpc View Post
Thank you folks, your responses were most helpful. I didn't see much in the way of fencing in any real estate listings and was a little concerned. I am older and like to let the kids out for a few minutes in the am without having to suit up and get leashes out etc. Sounds silly to most I suppose, but at my age, having that 10 minute reprieve is important first thing in the morning. Also, rjm1cc, would you be kind enough to pass along the name of the lawyer/title company in the Square, I would like to touch base with them to get some more answers before driving up there in a few weeks. Sounds like Candler Hills is ideal for me. Still will keep an eye on Indigo but the more I am hearing about Candler Hills east and west, I am thinking this part of the community shines. Thx again for your help.
I do not recall the name of the title company. The web page for the attorney is Gerald R Colen Florida Elder Law Attorney, Asset Protection, Estate Planning Attorney
I think you could call the OTOTW sales office and they could give you the name of the firm. The title company address is probably SW 80th St or SW 79th Street Rd. The OTOTW resale office is probably within a couple of hundred yards of the title company.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I do not recall the name of the title company. The web page for the attorney is Gerald R Colen Florida Elder Law Attorney, Asset Protection, Estate Planning Attorney
I think you could call the OTOTW sales office and they could give you the name of the firm. The title company address is probably SW 80th St or SW 79th Street Rd. The OTOTW resale office is probably within a couple of hundred yards of the title company.
Just saw an add for the title company, Marion Title & Escrow Company is a full service title company located within the On Top of the World Community in Ocala, FL.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:11 PM

3 posts, read 11,703 times
Thank you rjm1cc, I will give them a call tomorrow.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:55 PM

67 posts, read 238,007 times
I was at OTOW yesterday. I am trying to figure out why, upon purchase, I would need to pay Title Insurance on land I don't own? The land is a lease in their "Windsor" section of new homes.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:45 PM

529 posts, read 1,173,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintrps View Post
I was at OTOW yesterday. I am trying to figure out why, upon purchase, I would need to pay Title Insurance on land I don't own? The land is a lease in their "Windsor" section of new homes.
Good question. I would have never thought of Title Insurance on something I didn't own. PLEASE. PLEASE..Post what you find out. Thanks

Dax

Old 09-19-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintrps View Post
You should be able to buy without buying title insurance.
My assumption is the title insurance covers your investment in the home if it is determined that OTOW does not own the land and thus you have to move. The land owner would keep the house or maybe ask you to move it.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:37 AM

67 posts, read 238,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
You should be able to buy without buying title insurance.
My assumption is the title insurance covers your investment in the home if it is determined that OTOW does not own the land and thus you have to move. The land owner would keep the house or maybe ask you to move it.
I can't imagine a scenario where OTOW does not own the land. After all, the land these homes are being built upon was purchased by OTOW in 1975. If they did not own the land they have already built thousands of homes on, since 1982, someone would have noticed by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala