U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-21-2017, 04:45 AM
 
3 posts, read 7,447 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Are there any clean swimmable beaches near Lady Lake that you could go to for daily visits. We have dogs and donkeys so it's harder to get out overnight. But some mornings would love to drive and spend day swimming and relaxing on a clean beach.
Next weekend beach would be nice. I am new to Florida missing our beaches on East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-29-2017, 10:58 AM
 
427 posts, read 701,333 times
Reputation: 456
Nothing is truly nice close to Lady Lake. You can head east on 40 to hit Daytona, pick up the Turnpike to Orlando and head east another 45/60 minutes to the east coast (Satellite or down to Cocoa ), or head down towards St Pete. I personally think Ft. DeSoto ( dog-friendly ) or Pass-a-grille are the best and fastest return on your buck as the cross-town traffic from I75 to the North Pinellas County beaches can be brutal. ( not to mention I refuse to be shark-bait on the east coast. )

Dax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2017, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Ocala, FL
3,239 posts, read 6,087,410 times
Reputation: 2787
Crystal River, Homosassa Springs and Cedar Key on the west coast are closer and are very nice for the OP. Don't forget about Lake Weir which is even closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2017, 04:45 PM
 
427 posts, read 701,333 times
Reputation: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Crystal River, Homosassa Springs and Cedar Key on the west coast are closer and are very nice for the OP. Don't forget about Lake Weir which is even closer.
Crystal River would be Ft Island Beach. Not bad this time of year but small and shallow. Once the hot weather sets in, it has a tendency to get stagnant, stinky and prone to being closed due to bacteria counts. Cedar Key is many things but a desirable swimming beach does not exist there. Fishing is the preferred activity in that area. Shallow, brackish, and nasty at low tide. Any of the springs are nice, (I suggest Rainbow Springs for swimming) but cold and freshwater. Lake Weir is just that. A lake. Potential for alligators and snakes and bacteria. Not my cup of tea, but perhaps the OP would disagree. If a lake is acceptable, perhaps Carney Isle would be an option. Very close to Lady Lake. By all means, get out and explore. Florida is awesome.

Dax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2017, 02:49 PM
 
128 posts, read 284,792 times
Reputation: 58
Carney Island is a nice area, and near there is Hampton Beach. I'd say beware once the water gets warm because of bacteria, as mentioned previously, but I've seen a lot of families enjoy those areas over the years. Both are maybe 20 minutes away from Lady Lake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2017, 03:56 PM
 
3,552 posts, read 6,174,470 times
Reputation: 3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by dconley1 View Post
Are there any clean swimmable beaches near Lady Lake that you could go to for daily visits. We have dogs and donkeys so it's harder to get out overnight. But some mornings would love to drive and spend day swimming and relaxing on a clean beach.
Next weekend beach would be nice. I am new to Florida missing our beaches on East Coast.
One thing to remember is that it is not always safe to swim in clean swimmable beaches in Florida because of the amoeba during the hot days of summer so you might actually want to think of a pool for everyday swimming. Even then if you don't cage it, look before you dive in every morning. They do this at the water parks before they open and then even during the day sometimes have to remove various forms of wildlife from the lazy rivers etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 07:59 AM
 
3 posts, read 7,447 times
Reputation: 10
Ft Dedora and Pass a grill sound as places to start. Familiar with Cocoa Beach and Daytona both nice but looking for something maybe less crowded. Coming from MD the smell and bacteria at some places here in FL I wasn't aware of but sure don't want to fight. We have enclosed pool I love but there is just no comparison to finding that perfect beach for me. My dogs would like the dog friendly beach. Those two I think we will start with. I thank you all for all your suggestions it's hard to look online etc at places if u don't know the areas. And I don't want to fight the gators and wildlife either. Lol. Thank you everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2017, 06:05 AM
 
427 posts, read 701,333 times
Reputation: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by dconley1 View Post
Ft Dedora and Pass a grill sound as places to start. Familiar with Cocoa Beach and Daytona both nice but looking for something maybe less crowded. Coming from MD the smell and bacteria at some places here in FL I wasn't aware of but sure don't want to fight. We have enclosed pool I love but there is just no comparison to finding that perfect beach for me. My dogs would like the dog friendly beach. Those two I think we will start with. I thank you all for all your suggestions it's hard to look online etc at places if u don't know the areas. And I don't want to fight the gators and wildlife either. Lol. Thank you everyone
You're very welcome. I am curious to know if you have had the chance to go and what you thought of the places I suggested.

Dax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2017, 06:39 AM
 
3 posts, read 7,447 times
Reputation: 10
I haven't been able to go yet. But I plan as asap. Will post when I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:36 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top