U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2008, 11:48 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,267,192 times

Advertisements

I tried this in the "orlando" forum and was recomended to post it in the general florida forum.
Well...........I think I've just about had all the snow I can handle here in Maine Since records have been kept 104" was most we got in one season...we smashed that 2 storms ago. So my DW and I are back thinking about a big move South. I know "some of you" may be jelous of our slow pace of life, low crime rate, and affordable housing.....and myself having lived in other places do appreciate these things.....but I cannot take the winters here anymore. So we are looking at Orlando, Ocala, and now since my DW heard about the schools in Gainsville....Gainsville.

Orlando: Crime, Growth, Costs, and schools are our major concern.

Ocala We still look at orlando as our base of operation not because of jobs or anything but mainly because that is the area we are most familiar with. We thought maybe In Ocala things may be a little slower...we could get more bang for our buck. our concerns are jobs, schools, and culture.

Gainsville I know nothing of Gainsville.....other than their HS is rated tops. So that is a new place we will be researching.

can anyone tell me pro's cons about these choices. Where can I find the best housing deals ( I now its a buyers market) and can someone please enlighten me on the home Ins. costs. I've heard estimates of 2k to 10k for a standard 4br 2ba 2000+ sq ft home. That could be a deal breaker for us. we also want low proerty taxes......here in Maine all of our taxes are out of control and just looking at the city of Orlando their property taxes are high.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 12:49 PM

23,417 posts, read 33,601,186 times
As far as Ocala, its expensive, and the traffic is horrendous in Ocala proper. Job market is very slow right now, and the wage base is low. Schools are not very good, my daughter goes to Lake Weir, so I can speak with some authority on that note.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:41 PM

Where would you reccomend then. We're looking for place less crowded then Orlando but still has life to it with things to do. Good neighborhoods for children, good schools, and affordability with low property taxes are also important.

Can someone talk about home ins. I have not seem to been able to get a clear picture. How much is it....where is it the cheapest and most expensve.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:00 PM

23,417 posts, read 33,601,186 times
I am sure you already know that Fl schools are waaay down on the totem pole, nationally speaking. If one can afford to put children into private school, then you might want to look at Marion County.
It really is lovely if you stay away from the SR 200 corridor, south and eastern parts of Ocala are growing, and congestion is not nearly as bad.
As far as homeowners ins, all I can tell you about is what I know that we pay, and some of my friends. We pay $1500 per year, with a separate policy on antiques and art, I inherited a lot of it, my friends pay about the same.
As far as culture, there is quite a bit to be had here, we have a wonderful museum, a civic theater, art alliances, etc.
Hope this helped a bit, if you have more questions, please feel free to ask!
oooppps, forgot property taxes, we pay $425 per year.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:12 PM

986 posts, read 3,304,357 times
Default hi

If your looking for a nice, quiet family area, then i would recommend Winter Garden, If you select the right areas, prices are very good, and taxes anre pretty reasonable. I have a 7 yr old and we are very happy with her schooling and with a new shopping center recently opened, we spend alot of time, shopping, going to Disney, We pay $380 i think per adult ticket to the 4 Main Disney parks for 1 yr, (Annual park tickets...thats with a florida resident discount although we get ours through our parents who are cast members). Ther eis a great bowlong alley which is family owned, and then you have all the touristy things to drive to like crazy golf etc

Great dog parks if you have a dog, we take our little Cocker Spaniel to one in Winter Garden. There is alot to do. Access is fantastic so even if you need to get somewhere its pretty easy with the roads located here.

Hope this helps

Old 03-02-2008, 03:49 PM

How about inverness.............someone else mentioned that on another thread. Is there anything in particular you have to watch for when looking at different communitites. I always look at schools, crime, cost of homes, kid friendly neighborhoods ect. I didn't know if there was other hidden things to look out for. Ex. water...are ther some towns that do not have enough water....particular bugs insect problems.....ect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala