U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 10:45 PM

389 posts, read 634,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Yes, 200 is quite the corridor. We've been travelling a bit in the Ocala area recently. I can tell you that it IS on the radar of retirees from...FLORIDA! Folks who live further down the state and are not happy with skyrocketing costs and getting hemmed in on all sides by more development.

LOL, one older couple I know is selling their property in a retirement community south of Tampa and have already purchased something in OTOW.

Marion County is gaining a good reputation among the older crowd down here. Dunellon may not yet be on the radar, but it will be.
Back in 2004, Marion county was on everyone's radar south of here, due to the 4 hurricanes. ( Not to mention the wave after Andrew)That was the start of the explosion of growth along 200..After the crash, it died. Now FL is in a boom again, but the people who have been here long enough, know that urban areas are at a tipping point vis-a-vis sustainability, affordability, and quality of life. With ****-poor investment in aging infrastructure and public transportation, rising taxes and rising waters, climate-changes, and such, it only makes sense to move to a more inland area with newer infrastructure and roads, and lower taxes. And you are still close enough to visit the fabulous St Pete/ Tampa area anytime you want. That had always been the draw of Marion County. ( well that, and the WONDERFUL fall/winter mornings.)

Dax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 05:31 AM

RE: post #10 of this thread
I said Timberwood was part of Marion Oaks. I meant Timberwalk

Apologies
Dax
who tries to be objective AND accurate

Old 09-03-2017, 06:53 AM

4,506 posts, read 4,360,020 times
The whole Marion Oaks phenomenon really messes with my head. And judging from some of the threads in this forum, I'm not the only one. From a distance, it looks like a great place to make an entry into the area on a budget, with nice modest but livable older homes in neighborhoods that look attractive in a modest sort of way, via google earth. And then when you talk to locals, it sounds like a no-go zone, unless you're north of 484. Cognitive dissonance sets in, and the temptation is to think "Well, it can't be THAT bad." I wonder how many people have moved there and found out that yes, it IS that bad.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:05 AM

11,525 posts, read 8,114,296 times
It was a great place back in 1981 as that was the last time i was there on the river.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
It was a great place back in 1981 as that was the last time i was there on the river.
The river and springs are gorgeous, that's for sure.

Anyone know how phone and internet service is in the area?

Old 09-03-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:

Not too sure about the city proper but much, if not most of that area is serviced by a variety of satellite services. (Prism, Dish, DirecTV, etc) Landlines (actual LL) are largely available but internet is not widely available through actual cable. FiberOptic, FIOS, Spectrum etc. are not. I am not sure how far they got with the Greenlight project that caused the banks to call the loans. There are also pockets of spotty cell phone service in the area but it is getting better. An acquaintance of mine out towards the back of RLE can now reliably use his ATT cell phone on his back porch. Inside is touch and go. The further east you go, the better it gets.

Dax

Old 09-03-2017, 07:56 AM

11,525 posts, read 8,114,296 times
Quote:

My parents had friends that lived on the river and we go visit from the 60's to around 1981. The sky was so dark back in the 70's that i was in heaven using my telescopes. Not sure about anything there now as i would think it is all built up and you can't even see 50 stars now.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
The whole Marion Oaks phenomenon really messes with my head. And judging from some of the threads in this forum, I'm not the only one. From a distance, it looks like a great place to make an entry into the area on a budget, with nice modest but livable older homes in neighborhoods that look attractive in a modest sort of way, via google earth. And then when you talk to locals, it sounds like a no-go zone, unless you're north of 484. Cognitive dissonance sets in, and the temptation is to think "Well, it can't be THAT bad." I wonder how many people have moved there and found out that yes, it IS that bad.
Agreed. I looked there myself many years ago and was discouraged by the Marion County Sherriff's Office. The flight of early residents in the boom years who are just now possibly above water or able to take the hit continues. MO is the west Marion version of The Shores. Can you find a nice home? Sure but no man is an island.

Think of Marion Oaks as you would Spring Hill. I actually remember Spring Hill as a 55 and older community when it first went up.

Dax

Last edited by Dax13; 09-03-2017 at 08:13 AM..

Old 09-03-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
Not too sure about the city proper but much, if not most of that area is serviced by a variety of satellite services. (Prism, Dish, DirecTV, etc) Landlines (actual LL) are largely available but internet is not widely available through actual cable. FiberOptic, FIOS, Spectrum etc. are not. I am not sure how far they got with the Greenlight project that caused the banks to call the loans. There are also pockets of spotty cell phone service in the area but it is getting better. An acquaintance of mine out towards the back of RLE can now reliably use his ATT cell phone on his back porch. Inside is touch and go. The further east you go, the better it gets.

Dax
So, doesn't sound like a good place for someone who works from home and depends on reliable phone and internet. The land line thing is good for me for the phone, though. Internet is another matter.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
My parents had friends that lived on the river and we go visit from the 60's to around 1981. The sky was so dark back in the 70's that i was in heaven using my telescopes. Not sure about anything there now as i would think it is all built up and you can't even see 50 stars now.
Kinda like me remembering your neck of the woods. 19 + Alt 19 were 2 lane roads that passed through sleepy Old Florida towns. A stop light in NPR, PR, and an RV dealer in Holiday. But yes, you can still see the stars in Dunnellon.

Dax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala