U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 08:21 PM

946 posts, read 1,139,001 times

Advertisements

I'd focus on Levy and Gilchrist county west and southwest of Gainesville. Places like Williston, Bronson, Chiefland, Trenton. Chiefland has a fair amount going on for a rural city. Super Walmart, a number of chain restaurants, car dealership, Winn Dixie. Even a hotel if I remember. It's right near Manatee Springs State Park which is very popular with divers.

But anything outside of the basics you'll want to go to Gainesville which is at least 45 minutes from Chiefland. All major medical, hospitals, and shopping will be in Gainesville. There's lots of cheap land, lots of older trailers that need work in Levy County. It's a poor county but I think you might be disappointed in your price range. $50K is very low for Florida. Land is about $3-$5K an acre depending on improvements. You'll want to see if the lot has to be cleared, septic, power installed, fencing, driveways....all add up. It would be good to find land with a lot of these improvements done already.

About old trailers that you might think of fixing up. They will be impossible to insure and might fall apart in a hurricane. Basically a death trap in a hurricane or if a large tree fell on them. You are better off buying a new trailer with all the latest safety requirements or at least one built after 2001 when the hurricane codes were tightened up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 10:35 PM

31 posts, read 15,176 times
Thanks. I found this one: https://www.homes.com/property/5731-...1000016942195/

It's older and needs some TLC but I can do all phases of construction. The value for me is in the land. Up here building lots are 20k and up with an acre starting at 30k. As for wind/trees, we live partway in the woods with large trees. Our mobile is a 1980 and it's not even tied down I called and made sure our homeowers covered that. We just had 50-60 mph go through and they were really swaying. I can only imagine higher winds. Never know what a year will bring. GBY

Old 04-06-2018, 07:14 AM

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I think Chiefland area could be good fit for you. I don't know if an 80's trailer is insurable. If you go into it with the idea of fixing it up, forget the cosmetic stuff and focus on structural. Hurricane tie-downs to the roof, windows, the foundation. You might need to consult with an engineer or some of the local builders to figure out how to get it up to current code.

These old trailers are not built for 100mph winds. Now, it's unlikely that'll happen in any one year. Chiefland is inland and in an area that historically doesn't get direct hits but there have been Category 3 hits in the area in history coming in from Cedar Key and Crystal River and that 80's trailer without a retrofit would probably be totaled in such a storm. So you need to be aware of that.

I suggest you take a trip down and visit. You really need to drive around and see the area with your own eyes to make a decision.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:38 AM

Thanks for that. We have a one year plan (Lord willing a "mild" winter that I don't have to shovel the roof). Eliminate misc. debt, suspend future remods. and finish started ones. Found a ABS/pack ship reciever storage unit in Inverness so we though it would be a base camp(for now). We've spent time in tent camping so either that find a camper/mh/studio that's cheap to rent. Find a used Fl owned Subie station wagon and wander the two lane roads from town to town.
We would put our m/h for sale next March and proceed as the m/h sells with getting the ship container.
Fly in to somewhere close and uber to Inverness(that could change). Questions : Are those roof straps attached to concrete piers you pour or anchor screws in the sand ? Best way to purchase a used car when we arrive. Out of state vrs. having Fl address.

Thanks. GBY

Last edited by Hiskid1973; 04-06-2018 at 08:54 AM..

Old 04-06-2018, 12:28 PM

142 posts, read 157,479 times
It looks like you have a solid plan in place. I used to live in Inverness and know the Citrus County are fairly well. It's a low cost of living with attendant low level of jobs available in the area. Citrus still gets *a few* hard freezes in Jan or Feb, but not as long or as cold as Gilchrist and Alachua counties. I believe it's in the 9A growing zone.

There are a few mobile home parks that might allows short-term rentals just so you can have a home base and start scouting from there. They're not fancy, fair warning, but much of the Citrus population are seniors with very limited incomes, and the MH parks cater to them. For "fancy" MH parks, you have to get to the Brooksville area.

Hope this is helpful, and good luck with your move!

Old 04-06-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatkay View Post
It looks like you have a solid plan in place. I used to live in Inverness and know the Citrus County are fairly well. It's a low cost of living with attendant low level of jobs available in the area. Citrus still gets *a few* hard freezes in Jan or Feb, but not as long or as cold as Gilchrist and Alachua counties. I believe it's in the 9A growing zone.

There are a few mobile home parks that might allows short-term rentals just so you can have a home base and start scouting from there. They're not fancy, fair warning, but much of the Citrus population are seniors with very limited incomes, and the MH parks cater to them. For "fancy" MH parks, you have to get to the Brooksville area.

Hope this is helpful, and good luck with your move!
Thanks much. We should fit as we are seniors with fixed incomes... What is a "hard freeze" down there ? Our last one was in Jan. and lasted a bit over two weeks (high was 30 and low was -10). I made the porch of our m/h into a "Florida" room heated with a pellet stove. I had the stove on 3 and the funace at 73. The furnace came on every hour to keep the back of the house and belly warm. The cold just sank through and cooled the metal femur I have from a ladder fall. Between that an having to shovel snow off a a two spot parking lot and sometimes the roof, Im tired of the long cold months. We came down to FL to repair roofs and remove trees with church groups after the 4 hurricaines went through. Lived in a tent for 4 months and loved it. Lived in a m/h park like you mentioned and went home the next July.

BTW. It's not fancy here but we sit on a hill with trees on out front and side and overlook a creek. Nice place but we're tired of the long cold months, frozen snow/ice coated vehicles and bitter winds..

Old 04-06-2018, 01:26 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,163,357 times
Can you use your daughter's Father in Law's address to purchase the car, and get your initial Florida license?

Old 04-06-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Can you use your daughter's Father in Law's address to purchase the car, and get your initial Florida license?

I guess I could ask. Would it be easier or cheaper to do that to purchase a car ? I imagine they have a good website in Fl like Pa to do vehicle services online.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:31 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,163,357 times
I'd think so. The title transfer, tags/registration, etc. would be more costly without a Florida address. Getting a Florida license is a must. Bring your old license with you, and 2 or 3 forms of ID. This state now requires it, (Real ID state) stuff like your birth certificate, marriage license, and the out-of-state license, as a form of photo ID. After that, if you never let the FL license expire, you won't have to bring all that ID in again.
After getting your real address, just go into DMV and have the address updated.

I'm sure he'd accommodate a relative, even if distant?

https://www.flhsmv.gov/driver-licenses-id-cards/

*If he'd allow it, I'd also get my mail transferred to his address at USPS at first too.

You had asked about 'hard freezes' earlier. As far as I know, they are nothing compared to the hard freezes I remember up north. The panhandle is the only part of the state that may see snow, and the edges that kiss Georgia,
Alabama, and Misssissippi.

Of course there are exceptions, some years are worse than others. But all in all, if it's Zone 9A as someone mentioned earlier, you can bet it's a frost, light freeze that the sun usually kills off in a few hours. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch about

http://trumpetflowers.com/enlargemen...l-zone-map.htm

Last edited by TerraDown; 04-06-2018 at 02:54 PM..

Old 04-06-2018, 03:10 PM

The "typical" worst it gets in the winter in north central florida is highs in the upper 30's/low 40's and lows in the low to mid 20's for a few days here and there after a cold front.

Occasionally, it gets into the teens for lows every few years. You might get snow flurries every decade or two and I think the last time the area got any real snow (half an inch to an inch) was 30 years ago.

You'll probably laugh at this winter.

Most of the time the highs are in the 60's/70's and lows in the 30's/40's but quickly warms up with the sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala