U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-26-2008, 08:44 AM
 
8 posts, read 24,008 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi, My fiance got a job opportunity in the Ocala area and I would be transfering to a university (most likely florida U). We are in our mid 20s and moving from Long Island new york. I will prefer to be near shopping centers and with easy acces to the high way (so its easy for me to go to college) I really dont want to go far from the ocala area and dont want to be in a completely farm town with lots of retired people (I dont want to offend anyone but we are young and like to go out and meet new people our age). Can someone reccomend a good and safe town for a young couple that can later raised a family. Thank everyone for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-26-2008, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Ocala area in Central FL
627 posts, read 2,580,075 times
Reputation: 333
We are not a mass retirement town, it is very well mixed.

Ocala is full of goodies for young adults.

I will try to give you as much info as possible, and what areas to look into and what to possibly avoid.

Good Luck, I am sure you will find the experience of Central Florida to be a pretty nice treat!! Beaches are not too far (either side of the state) and there is plenty to see and do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2008, 03:25 PM
 
5,507 posts, read 9,008,596 times
Reputation: 2276
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnf0405 View Post
Hi, My fiance got a job opportunity in the Ocala area and I would be transfering to a university (most likely florida U). We are in our mid 20s and moving from Long Island new york. I will prefer to be near shopping centers and with easy acces to the high way (so its easy for me to go to college) I really dont want to go far from the ocala area and dont want to be in a completely farm town with lots of retired people (I dont want to offend anyone but we are young and like to go out and meet new people our age). Can someone reccomend a good and safe town for a young couple that can later raised a family. Thank everyone for your input.
By FL U I take it you mean University of Florida. UF is very tough to get into these days and they recently cut back on the amount of transfer students they take so be sure to look into the requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2008, 04:00 PM
 
8 posts, read 24,008 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
By FL U I take it you mean University of Florida. UF is very tough to get into these days and they recently cut back on the amount of transfer students they take so be sure to look into the requirements.
I am already accepted is more If I decide to go or no, as I mention before we first one to make sure of everything else before I decide or no, but for us is very important to find a nice place to live where the commute for me and my fiance is not crazy... I will really appreciate any type of feedback on what places to look and which one to avoid..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2008, 04:02 PM
 
8 posts, read 24,008 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHomeIsInOcala View Post
We are not a mass retirement town, it is very well mixed.

Ocala is full of goodies for young adults.

I will try to give you as much info as possible, and what areas to look into and what to possibly avoid.

Good Luck, I am sure you will find the experience of Central Florida to be a pretty nice treat!! Beaches are not too far (either side of the state) and there is plenty to see and do.
Thanks so much... I really need as much info as possible, my fiance must likely will move first and then I will follow in a couple of month but I want to like the place before I go down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2008, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 30,631,199 times
Reputation: 15560
Median age is 46.1 in Ocala. I am sure that will give you a clearer picture than the cheerleaders here.
If you stay in the southeast section of Ocala, you should be able to have some of what you require, there is a new mall being built west of I-75, and that should provide easy egress to shopping and Gainesville.
There are a lot of retirees here, the shopping is so-so, and not a lot to choose from as far as restaurants and nightlife. I dont know where others are hanging out, but all my 20-something friends are constantly bemoaning the lackluster nightlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Ocala area in Central FL
627 posts, read 2,580,075 times
Reputation: 333
Well I am NOT 40 something, so I can say that I do find things to do.

We have not lacked in having a good tome over the many years we have spent here. Granted, it is no NYC, that is a beast of a different nature!! hahaha

This is FLORIDA, trust me, retirees are all over the state. EVEN in Gainesville! LOL

The new open-air mall is not in the SE section of Ocala, it is on the SW side. It is well under construction and only has a Dillard's and a Dick's Sporting goods open (dick's is hiring, I think they are to be open soon).

My younger sister just moved down and she is amazed at all the things to do... but she is not a clubber either, so any lack of kiddie drinking clubs is not something either of us look for anyway. Plus, by the sound of your original post, you are not particularly looking for a wild night life, just friends with similar interests and goals. Granted, you could always go to Orlando for that.

So, you are going to FSU? It takes me about 1 hour from the Villages area to get to FSU. I would say something on the north side of town would shave about 20-30 minutes off that time.

I will try to get some pics up for you. I have to make a banner for my college club, so I will be out today getting a Polly Banner to apply my Vinyl Graphics on.

Y'all Have a Great Day!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 09:25 AM
 
8 posts, read 24,008 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHomeIsInOcala View Post
Well I am NOT 40 something, so I can say that I do find things to do.

We have not lacked in having a good tome over the many years we have spent here. Granted, it is no NYC, that is a beast of a different nature!! hahaha

This is FLORIDA, trust me, retirees are all over the state. EVEN in Gainesville! LOL

The new open-air mall is not in the SE section of Ocala, it is on the SW side. It is well under construction and only has a Dillard's and a Dick's Sporting goods open (dick's is hiring, I think they are to be open soon).

My younger sister just moved down and she is amazed at all the things to do... but she is not a clubber either, so any lack of kiddie drinking clubs is not something either of us look for anyway. Plus, by the sound of your original post, you are not particularly looking for a wild night life, just friends with similar interests and goals. Granted, you could always go to Orlando for that.

So, you are going to FSU? It takes me about 1 hour from the Villages area to get to FSU. I would say something on the north side of town would shave about 20-30 minutes off that time.

I will try to get some pics up for you. I have to make a banner for my college club, so I will be out today getting a Polly Banner to apply my Vinyl Graphics on.

Y'all Have a Great Day!!!
Thanks so much for everything... yes we are not the type crazy for clubs we are more like restaurant and hanging out with friends, movie nights etc... I will like a commute of no more that 45 minutes but priority is a safe and nice area I really appreciate if someone can tell me which town to look at.. I read that Marion Oaks (the north part) and belleview are good places (is this true) and also Inverness (but that town is further south for what I understant).... Thanks for all your imput
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2008, 10:47 AM
 
1 posts, read 3,328 times
Reputation: 10
Default heathbrook

I am older than you but also very close to relocating to Ocala. Did you consider (or hear of )ForeRanch and Heathbrook both are off 200 close to the new malls and when we drove through seem full of young people with families. We liked both but it is not quite what we are looking for. Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2008, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Silver Springs Florida
1 posts, read 3,305 times
Reputation: 10
Default Ocala

I'm 21 and currently reside in the outskirts of ocala. The Silver Spring Shores. Its about 13 minutes from college rd. 200 IF you take the scenory route without the stop lights. As of NOW they are building new and beautiful gated and ungated communities. You have a walmart being built right on the main road along with the current shopping plazas. Also you have access to the interstate if you travel through belleview and follow the I-75 markers. Gainesville, depending on which point in Marion county that you come from, is a good 30 minutes away...that is if you're doing about 85mph. I travel there a lot and do at least 90.

The night life....well, its tolerable. There are a lot of ordinances that control the night life. Depending on your personality , you'd probably enjoy down town ocala, which has a few moderate-upper class settings. Pool halls and a FEW night clubs. But be warned, they do close down a lot of times.

Luckly, in the silver spring shores, there's a nice little sociable club that has just opened, and you're 10 minutes away from S.R 40 if you want to go to Daytona beach. Wild waters and Silver Springs are 2 major places to visit in ocala for children, which is also 10 minutes away.

A lot of restaraunts are on S.R 40, along with a clear shot to ocala, college rd. 200!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top