U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 06:26 AM

31 posts, read 7,354 times

Advertisements

We will be shopping for a liveable fixer uppper m/h in the north central Fl area next spring. I am looking to learn all aspects of country dwelling. Where we live now is in a m/h sitting on a hill overlooking a stream. We have the normal rabbits,possum,skunks, squirrels and deer that come right up to the back door. The pests here that need to be sanitized(22 brand sanitizer) are the ground hog as they do a lot of damage. When we moved here we found that groundhogs got in the skirt, tore up the a/c ducts and burrowed so much out of the porch slab it cracked and I had to replace it.

I know from reading this forum there are nastier creatures down the there. I learned about fire ants while down there doing repair work after the four hurricaines crossed. I imagine I'll be clearing the grounds so what will I run into and what is the preferred method to neutralize it. Are there any laws reguarding pest/varmint control methods and property size ? I noticed a few properties had a pond or a canal that reached another waterway. Would it be safe to fish/kayak or are they more of a problem with snakes, gators and skeeters ? Last but not least. What breed of dog is best suited for that type of area as they will be out along side me as I work in the heat and among the critters. I know not all breeds are suitable for that enviornment. Thanks for any help/recommendations. God bless.

Last edited by Hiskid1973; 04-16-2018 at 06:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 09:01 PM

104 posts, read 35,216 times
Fire ants are not a challenge. Use Amdro pellets. They work fast.

You are going to run into gophers and moles. My solution was a device that hooks up to a car's exhaust pipe. Pump gas into the hole for a while, and the inhabitants will slip off to the varmint nether world.

Coyotes are a problem here, and so are coons. It's legal to shoot both. No season or bag limit.

There are wild pigs here. You can kill them at will. Traps are also legal. I haven't had to deal with this yet.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Hoarse View Post
Fire ants are not a challenge. Use Amdro pellets. They work fast.

You are going to run into gophers and moles. My solution was a device that hooks up to a car's exhaust pipe. Pump gas into the hole for a while, and the inhabitants will slip off to the varmint nether world.

Coyotes are a problem here, and so are coons. It's legal to shoot both. No season or bag limit.

There are wild pigs here. You can kill them at will. Traps are also legal. I haven't had to deal with this yet.
Can you use those pellets in a garden? I looked at youtube and a guy mentioned diamateous earth. Are the wild pigs edible ? .22 work for all pests. What about the poisoness snakes, 20 ga. ? Thanks.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:27 AM

371 posts, read 603,459 times
Possums and armadillos are also nuisances. Like your groundhogs, they can, and will, burrow under a/c slabs, sheds, and mobile homes. I have my way of dealing with them and you will do the same, I'm sure. Squirrels can be a problem if they decide to chew into your attic or the wiring under the hood of an underused vehicle, but a dog usually encourages them to seek shelter elsewhere. Speaking of dogs, the humidity and sand can play hell with them. Flea control is a must, and my poor German Shepherd was forever battling yeast infections in her ears, but I kept on top of it. The usual snakes, field mice, and such are always present but not a major concern. Termites are ALWAYS to be on your number one priority vigilance list.

An ounce of prevention.....
Dax

Old 04-17-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
Possums and armadillos are also nuisances. Like your groundhogs, they can, and will, burrow under a/c slabs, sheds, and mobile homes. I have my way of dealing with them and you will do the same, I'm sure. Squirrels can be a problem if they decide to chew into your attic or the wiring under the hood of an underused vehicle, but a dog usually encourages them to seek shelter elsewhere. Speaking of dogs, the humidity and sand can play hell with them. Flea control is a must, and my poor German Shepherd was forever battling yeast infections in her ears, but I kept on top of it. The usual snakes, field mice, and such are always present but not a major concern. Termites are ALWAYS to be on your number one priority vigilance list.

An ounce of prevention.....
Dax
German shepard that was my first dog as a kid. My dad was a plumber and worked a job at a police barracks and was offered one that didn't quite cut the muster. The rest was history. That dog was a playmate and chased after everything. Will a home inspector check for termites? What does a home inspection cost down there ? I'm guessing it would be better the realator route is the safest way. How was the german shepherd for the heat ? How was he with critters, poisonous snakes ect. What did you use for flea control down there ? Sorrry for all the ?? Thanks and God bless.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:43 AM

3,031 posts, read 5,541,205 times
One point to keep in mind about pests/vermin is that every area in the country will have some native species and/or environmental factor that can be considered problematic by some.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
One point to keep in mind about pests/vermin is that every area in the country will have some native species and/or environmental factor that can be considered problematic by some.
Like the scub jay types that i was warned about ?

Old 04-17-2018, 12:21 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,541,205 times
What about scrub jays ? I have been in the area since 1980 and have yet to hear of an issue with that bird species and people.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
What about scrub jays ? I have been in the area since 1980 and have yet to hear of an issue with that bird species and people.
It was my reponse to this in what you said here "native species and/or environmental factor that can be considered problematic by some". I was curious to have it explained more. Thanks.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:03 PM

104 posts, read 35,216 times
I use Amdro pellets everywhere. If you're worried about contaminating fruits and so on, you would have to consult the label, but you only need a spoonful per ant mound. It works in 24 hours. Amdro is great because the ants feed it to the queen, and then she croaks.

Diatomaceous earth works by cutting tiny slits in bug exoskeletons. They die from dehydration. I don't think it would affect a queen down in a hole.

I had a home inspection, and they charged extra for termites. I don't recall what I paid, but it was hundreds of dollars. Don't use someone your realtor recommends. You'll spend the rest of your life wondering who he was working for.

You will want a property survey, and the surveyors will need at least a couple of weeks' notice.

Inspection won't guarantee that your A/C system or major appliances won't kick the bucket soon after you buy. Ask me how I know. You can probably get an A/C company to check the system for you. I use a company called Priority, and I have not had problems with them.

Feral pigs are edible. I have not tried one, but people say good things about them.

I suppose a 20 gauge will work on poisonous snakes, as you suggest, but I would use a hoe. I'm happy to have the nonpoisonous ones. I like them more than moles, gophers, and mice. I wish they would kill the squirrels.

They have a giant bug here called the devil's walking stick. It's about 4 inches long. It can spray poison into your eyes, so if you see one, don't bother it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or