U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 03:37 PM

4,506 posts, read 4,360,020 times

Advertisements

Lol, I was just thinking, there is definitely a sort of pecking order among the various retirement communities here in the Ocala area. Stone Creek is up there at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisinet View Post
We liked Del Webb Stone Creek the best and put a new construction house under contract. Stone Creek wants your business and went out of their way with service and incentives to earn ours. As far as the community, it sold itself.

I may write a post in the future about what drove our overall decision process if readers want to hear it.
Raisinet, I think readers will want to hear it, especially people who are looking in the area. I would recommend a post in one of the 55+ community threads here in the Ocala forum. Did you also look at Summerglen? I think that's one of the new build communities, but not sure.

People are definitely looking for retirement info in the area. I get DMs from time to time regarding a post I made a while back on a comprehensive site that a local realtor has that pretty much covers all the communities in the area. Unfortunately I can't post the link in the public forum because it would be considered real estate advertising, which is not allowed by the TOS, but judging from the DMs I get, people are looking for information.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:37 PM

148 posts, read 109,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Raisinet, I think readers will want to hear it, especially people who are looking in the area. I would recommend a post in one of the 55+ community threads here in the Ocala forum. Did you also look at Summerglen? I think that's one of the new build communities, but not sure.

People are definitely looking for retirement info in the area. I get DMs from time to time regarding a post I made a while back on a comprehensive site that a local realtor has that pretty much covers all the communities in the area. Unfortunately I can't post the link in the public forum because it would be considered real estate advertising, which is not allowed by the TOS, but judging from the DMs I get, people are looking for information.

Okay, you asked. I'll try to go ahead and write while stuff is still fresh in my head. I think I'll do my own thread instead of piggybacking on existing stuff.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisinet View Post
Okay, you asked. I'll try to go ahead and write while stuff is still fresh in my head. I think I'll do my own thread instead of piggybacking on existing stuff.
I look forward to it, but don't do it on my account, lol. You'll actually be a hero to all the 55+ people and future retirees who read this forum and are looking for information. There are a lot who register but don't post for whatever reason, and this is a forum for research in their efforts. Most of the 55+ forums I've seen on the internet are kind of pathetic and often the information is outdated, or sponsored by realtors looking for business. It's great to have an objective point of view.

I admire what you just did, you were so focused, knew what you wanted and determined to "git 'er done". I advise most people to rent in an area before they buy, but clearly, you didn't need to do that.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:14 PM

3,829 posts, read 3,132,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
Just a question. Upon looking up Ocala on Area Vibes. The crime is F. Many said it is very safe with little or no crime.

Does anyone have any idea why Ocala would show F for crime if it is a safe area.

I am looking into OTOW and want to be sure I'm not moving into a crime ridden area. Crime or little crime.

Thanks for your replies.
What part of the city? OTOW is about 10 miles outside of Ocala. You will find a little shop lifting at retail stores, a little domestic violence in the area but OTOW is very safe. You want to look at the sheriff's face book site for a better idea of crime. You are looking for Marion County and the county is about the size of the state of Vt. Probably pay attention when SW is in the address or route 200.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:21 PM

3,829 posts, read 3,132,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Lol, I was just thinking, there is definitely a sort of pecking order among the various retirement communities here in the Ocala area. Stone Creek is up there at the moment.
Be sure to pay attention to where shopping is and if you want to use a golf cart where can you go.
OTOW and stone creek do share some facilities. You need a car to get to them from stone creek.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:19 AM

132 posts, read 705,318 times
I live in The Villages and love it. It's like living in a large resort with all services readily at hand. My biggest problem with Ocala (OTOW etc) is the congestion and traffic. It's always horrid and you have to get into it to get anywhere outside of the subdivision. Just my opinion. When I visited Del Webb, I asked the sales rep "who is your largest competitor" and he replied "The Villages, people either love it or hate it". I've been here 10 years now, I love it.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I live in The Villages and love it. It's like living in a large resort with all services readily at hand. My biggest problem with Ocala (OTOW etc) is the congestion and traffic. It's always horrid and you have to get into it to get anywhere outside of the subdivision. Just my opinion. When I visited Del Webb, I asked the sales rep "who is your largest competitor" and he replied "The Villages, people either love it or hate it". I've been here 10 years now, I love it.
It's a matter of choice. The Villages is not for everyone, it wouldn't be my choice, but the important thing is that people like where they live. You have found a community that works for you, and that's great!

I don't see why The Villages would be a competitor of any of the Del Webb communities. The Villages is really a town of its own, just that all the residents are 55+.

Are you saying that 441 is less congested than 200, where OTOW is?

Old 06-25-2018, 09:24 AM

148 posts, read 109,028 times
It wasn’t my experience either that there was little traffic congestion in The Villages after just visiting. And if they are only at 50% occupancy during the summer months, then the traffic situation is certainly not good during the peak winter season. I cringed watching a couple from Stone Crest crossing the huge highway in the NE quadrant.

I also studied the various villages on Google maps and if I remember correctly it was something like 15 miles from the southern areas to the northern ones. So really, just like any other retirement community, it’s what you are specifically near. It’s too big for any sort of close knit community at anything more than the neighborhood level.

I also wasn’t convinced that everyone in The Villages was just a short golf cart ride away from entertainment, shopping and medical care. But they’re all on the hook for CDD bonds and supporting numerous golf courses, regardless if they play golf or not. From the looks of the map I wasn’t any further from an emergency room in Stone Creek than I was in some of The Villages neighborhoods.

The thing sounds good in all the news articles but my experience on the ground said otherwise.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:45 AM

152 posts, read 56,709 times
It's funny to see people complain about the traffic. I moved here from Miami. This week, I went to pick up some of my belongings. I got to the end of I-95, about 6 miles from my old house. The GPS said I still had over 20 minutes to go!

So many reasons to hate Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or