U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 839 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to Ocala, I am a midlevel management exec., he is a large equip. operator, and experienced with large animals and farm work- cattle horses, etc.
We like a rural existence, but want to get out and do things on weekends, we are by no stretch retired.
Can anyone give me the pros and cons of living in or around Ocala, there are a couple of positions in the area that I have submitted resumes for that have been offered to me, and we are considering the move.
We don't plan on buying, but would like to rent a rural property, our drawback is we have a large dog (german shep.) that we wont give up. And how is the flea market business in the area

any thoughts, we like to fish, hunt, snorkel, bike, and kayak, flea market shop, and farmers market shop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 02:15 PM

508 posts, read 819,913 times
Jobs are usually the #1 issue with Ocala. It's dominated by low wage service sector geared to retirees and horse/equine industry with thoroughbred racing. Though they are aggressively diversifying Into logistics with a number of huge warehouses for Fed Ex and Chewys neat i75. Having the job situation taken care of is half the battle. Your selection of rural properties to rent will be fairly limited. You might have to think about that. The inventory is low right now for buying and lots of people end up buying land and building a home to suit because of that.

North Central Florida has springs, rivers, national and state forests, within an hour to the gulf for boating and fishing. You won't have any problems finding things to do with nature. It's also 45 minutes from Gainesville and 75 minutes to Orlando for theme parks and the airport.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:38 PM

3,829 posts, read 3,132,132 times
You will be looking for property in Marion County. Be sure you have your jobs lined up before you move.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:37 PM

4,506 posts, read 4,360,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoades65 View Post
My husband and I are considering a move to Ocala, I am a midlevel management exec., he is a large equip. operator, and experienced with large animals and farm work- cattle horses, etc.
We like a rural existence, but want to get out and do things on weekends, we are by no stretch retired.
Can anyone give me the pros and cons of living in or around Ocala, there are a couple of positions in the area that I have submitted resumes for that have been offered to me, and we are considering the move.
We don't plan on buying, but would like to rent a rural property, our drawback is we have a large dog (german shep.) that we wont give up. And how is the flea market business in the area

any thoughts, we like to fish, hunt, snorkel, bike, and kayak, flea market shop, and farmers market shop
Are you in Dade City right now? You'll do just fine up here, Ocala is Dade City on steroids. Haven't been to the flea markets yet, I think there's one up in Reddick and another in Webster, you've probably been to the Webster one. I'm sure you can find a rural property to rent that will let you keep the dog. Northern sections of Marion, either east or west, should be good for you. Or the Dunellon area. My opinion is that people who rent rural properties are looking for people just like you, folks who can look after the place. You're like an answer to their prayers and I've seen ads where people are willing to do a reduced rent to get renters like yourself. I'd encourage you to make the move, everything you want is here.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:53 PM

1,456 posts, read 943,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoades65 View Post

Logistical concerns you'll want to remedy:
  • You may consider renting other property for a period of time, as the prospects of renting a rural abode presumably in line with your lifestyle amount to slim pickings.
  • Please ensure that your respective financial situations are taken care of prior to the move. As mentioned previously, the county's employment caters/skews heavily towards comparatively low wages and the local government takes pride in ensuring this remains the case.
So long as the aforementioned is not an issue, you'll likely do well here -- particularly once you've purchased a property -- and will be within comparatively short driving distance to the activities you've stipulated as being desirable.

Insofar as flea markets are concerned, there's the Market of Marion off of 441, which is fairly large (100's of vendors) and draws a big crowd virtually year-round from Fri-Sun, early morning through mid-afternoon, is under roof, and replete with electricity. Offerings span everything from local produce and pets to tools, coins, collectibles, etc.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:50 PM

152 posts, read 56,709 times
I checked out Markets of Marion. I got there early in the afternoon, so maybe it was already shutting down. Anyway, it was mostly new stuff. If you like cheap new Asian merchandise, you will like it. I didn't see a lot of the quality older stuff one hopes to see at flea markets. The tool offerings were not good.

Great snowcones, however.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Hoarse View Post
I checked out Markets of Marion. I got there early in the afternoon, so maybe it was already shutting down. Anyway, it was mostly new stuff. If you like cheap new Asian merchandise, you will like it. I didn't see a lot of the quality older stuff one hopes to see at flea markets. The tool offerings were not good.

Great snowcones, however.
He-he, betcha we'll be seeing a lot less of that cheap new Asian merch shortly, and good riddance to bad rubbish.

On another note, I went with a friend to an eye doctor's office in the Paddock Mall area. Got to see a good cross-section of the local population today, at least in that area. Fattoo city. People don't look very healthy, including the kids, which is sad. And I saw the weirdest lower lip piercing I've ever seen. Looked like something out of Hannibal Lecter.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:05 AM

152 posts, read 56,709 times
The people here are fantastic, but they are very sickly.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I concur with your entire post. These are decent people who have been beaten down practically into oblivion. I admire that so many are still trying to put a brave face on it and carry on.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:03 PM

225 posts, read 87,813 times
Quote:
How do you mean "sickly?" How can you tell by looking at them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or