U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2018, 05:04 PM
 
152 posts, read 57,120 times
Reputation: 118

Advertisements

I have been looking for ways to get rid of the kudzu-like vines that cover a lot of my property. Today I found out something that surprised me. They're grapevines. They produce muscadine grapes.


Do people here eat these things? I find the vines a nuisance, but I don't know if I should obliterate them if they're going to produce something useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2018, 05:42 PM
 
4,507 posts, read 4,366,694 times
Reputation: 3245
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Hoarse View Post
I have been looking for ways to get rid of the kudzu-like vines that cover a lot of my property. Today I found out something that surprised me. They're grapevines. They produce muscadine grapes.


Do people here eat these things? I find the vines a nuisance, but I don't know if I should obliterate them if they're going to produce something useful.
Well, dang, Hoarse, muscadines have a number of health benefits, one of which is bowel regularity, and with the number of older folks in these parts, you could become a mini-mogul for those looking for a constipatory remedy. Seriously, check out the info on google. You might be on to something good here.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...cadine-grapes/

Bring those muscadines over to the farmer's market at OTOW and you'll be a hit!

BTW, how's Dad doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2018, 05:58 PM
 
152 posts, read 57,120 times
Reputation: 118
I went out and found a few grapes. Either most of my vines are males, or I missed the season, because I saw almost no grapes. They are very small. Less than half an inch in diameter. They are mostly seed and skin. I feel like I should salt the property with a better variety.


Thanks for asking about my dad. He's doing better. Got him a recliner that lifts him to his feet.


I'm not too impressed with his doctor. He had a cardiologist here in Ocala, and that doctor was also his primary care physician. He left, and he handed my dad off to another cardiologist who agreed to do primary care. We only had one appointment with her, and she didn't even show up. We got a nurse practitioner. Then they called us and told us she wouldn't do primary care. Strange. Back in Dade County, he saw a highly regarded cardiologist once a month, got primary care from the same guy, and never got a nurse practitioner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2018, 06:24 PM
 
4,507 posts, read 4,366,694 times
Reputation: 3245
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Hoarse View Post
I went out and found a few grapes. Either most of my vines are males, or I missed the season, because I saw almost no grapes. They are very small. Less than half an inch in diameter. They are mostly seed and skin. I feel like I should salt the property with a better variety.


Thanks for asking about my dad. He's doing better. Got him a recliner that lifts him to his feet.


I'm not too impressed with his doctor. He had a cardiologist here in Ocala, and that doctor was also his primary care physician. He left, and he handed my dad off to another cardiologist who agreed to do primary care. We only had one appointment with her, and she didn't even show up. We got a nurse practitioner. Then they called us and told us she wouldn't do primary care. Strange. Back in Dade County, he saw a highly regarded cardiologist once a month, got primary care from the same guy, and never got a nurse practitioner.
Check out this thread from the Tampa forum on finding good doctors. Sounds like what you are going through.

Where the heck are all the good doctors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2018, 07:59 AM
 
152 posts, read 57,120 times
Reputation: 118
Seems like all the doctors are from China, India, and the Middle East. It's as if we get the people who can't find jobs in major markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2018, 10:08 AM
 
4,507 posts, read 4,366,694 times
Reputation: 3245
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Hoarse View Post
Seems like all the doctors are from China, India, and the Middle East. It's as if we get the people who can't find jobs in major markets.
Don't get me started. I'm OK with some of the old school doctors from India.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2018, 02:03 PM
 
152 posts, read 57,120 times
Reputation: 118
A BBC article says we get Asians because American doctors don't want to work in rural areas, so I was right.


My problem isn't that they're not American. It's that they're not the cream of the crop. They're not in the country because they want to be. They're here because they couldn't find work anywhere else. It's not just American doctors who are working in cities. Cities also snap up the best overseas talent.



I kind of miss my dad's old doctor. Big university building named after him. Lots of staff. Honors and awards. Diploma I could read.


And he came and talked to us every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2018, 03:39 PM
 
4,507 posts, read 4,366,694 times
Reputation: 3245
I prefer an American doctor myself, it's a matter of communication and the Hippocratic oath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2018, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Gainesville, FL; formerly Weston, FL
972 posts, read 884,883 times
Reputation: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Hoarse View Post
A BBC article says we get Asians because American doctors don't want to work in rural areas, so I was right.


My problem isn't that they're not American. It's that they're not the cream of the crop. They're not in the country because they want to be. They're here because they couldn't find work anywhere else. It's not just American doctors who are working in cities. Cities also snap up the best overseas talent.



I kind of miss my dad's old doctor. Big university building named after him. Lots of staff. Honors and awards. Diploma I could read.


And he came and talked to us every time.
I know it's a 45 minute drive to the north, but I can't say enough good things about the health care here in Gainesville. Once my PCP retired in SFLA, it was all down hill. I've used services from UFHEALTH and North Florida Regional--both impressive. My new PCP spends an hour with me during my annual physical. And I wait, if that, in the waiting room for barely a minute.

Anyway, just a thought. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2018, 08:37 PM
 
152 posts, read 57,120 times
Reputation: 118
Thanks for the suggestion. My only concern is that he might not be able to get someone from Gainesville to see him if he had to go to a hospital in Marion.


This is why I never go to the doctor. My hope is to have relatively good health for a few more years and then get hit by a meteor. With all of my credit cards loaded up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top