Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2021, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 34,754 times

Advertisements

Thinking about Ocala for retirement, but the high crime rate has me concerned. Can anyone comment on that? The crime rate seems high compared to many other smaller Florida cities. Why is local law enforcement not able to get it under control?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 04:18 PM

6,391 posts, read 10,181,986 times
Nobody can answer those types of questions easily. There is quite a bit of information available online, you just need to do a search for it. One source of information online I can suggest is Home (Florida Department of Law Enforcement).

Old 01-03-2021, 05:27 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,237,864 times
What is the source and how serious are the crimes?

Old 01-03-2021, 06:14 PM

6,391 posts, read 10,181,986 times
Personally, I have lived in the Ocala, FL area for almost 40 years. I don't see a high crime problem. Every community nationwide will have some element of crime and the bigger the city, the higher potential.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
What is the source and how serious are the crimes?
The source I used is the Crime Rates from the Ocala Page here on City-Data.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Personally, I have lived in the Ocala, FL area for almost 40 years. I don't see a high crime problem. Every community nationwide will have some element of crime and the bigger the city, the higher potential.
Thanks for your reply. That's good to hear.

Old 01-04-2021, 10:48 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,237,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davel99 View Post
The source I used is the Crime Rates from the Ocala Page here on City-Data.
Did not realize they printed them. They do look bad. I would go to the city police department site and face book page to see what they are reporting. The city is different from the county. The Sheriff's department (County) also has a web site and Facebook page you can review. I am about 10 miles outside of the city and the reports of crime I see reported in the papers or word of mouth do not seem to be a big problem.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:29 AM

14 posts, read 23,592 times
The crime rate here in Ocala is very bad but I guess it depends what your used to. We have lived in 4 different states and are originally from New England and Ocala, FL is the saddest place I’ve ever lived. A lot of unfortunate souls here with very little money or education. I understand most of the schools are really bad. The face of Ocala is changing a bit though. The World Equestrian Center opened recently and that alone is bringing in a lot of new development although to many large gas stations like Race Track in my opinion. We’ve been here for 5 years and probably have seen and heard more than most of my neighbors but we believe in doing our research. We knew it wasn’t the best place to be but there just aren’t that many good places to live anymore. Being a 3 year volunteer with the Humane Society I can tell you that FL is one of the worst places in the country to be a dog or cat. Too many pets who are neglected, abused or dumped. I’ve never seen anything like it. I personally (along with the help of several others) recently rescued a dog who was on the run since Christmas because she was apparently dumped at a mobile home park. She turned out to be one of the sweetest dogs I ever met. Happens everyday here. A few years ago we enrolled in the Citizens Academy which is a 13 week course put on by the Sheriff’s Department. It was very enlightening but disturbing at the same time but we always feel it’s better to have knowledge than not. Shortly thereafter we starting listening to a scanner but had to stop after a few months because it was too depressing. There were calls every 30 seconds for everything you could imagine. The crime is not in your face but instead depends what neighborhood you live in. There are a lot of drug and property crimes here. We live in one of the many very nice over 55 communities which have become so popular here. We have had a few car break ins but still I feel safe within my own community. In general you can go about your day in town without any problems but we never go out at night and would never go to a gas station at night. The website Neighborhood Scout rates Ocala a 4 out of 100 in crime. One hundred being the best. That’s the bottom of the bottom. We are only here for the weather and tax incentives and have recently become snowbirds so we can get out of the horrific summer heat and get away from the political nonsense and desperation that exists here. It’s not all bad of course. I’ve met plenty of great people here and have good neighbors for the most part. They have a great horse culture here and you can take tours of the beautiful horse farms and your not to far from the beaches and sightseeing.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:48 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,070,623 times
Probably the lack of real high paying jobs keeps the crime rate high. The influx of non working retirees probably can not offset the local population income.

Old 02-12-2021, 02:50 PM

157 posts, read 850,839 times
Perhaps consider retiring near or in The VIllages. Crime rates are really low here. It's safe, clean, affordable and caters to seniors. Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala