Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 11:50 AM

4 posts, read 6,447 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Could you please tell me what it's like in the Ocala area regarding mask requirements? Do kids have to wear them in school? Can you walk around downtown freely? What about shopping? Also, could you please comment on the general culture or vibe around this issue in Ocala? I can tell you California is horrific and getting worse by the day. Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 12:47 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Ocala requires masks. Almost all stores and restaurants will not allow entrance without wearing a mask. While I don't have kids, I imagine they are and should be required to wear masks while at school. Yes, you can walk around downtown freely but don't forget to mask up first. Ocala is in Marion County and the # of infections and deaths are high (not especially higher than some Florida counties)

Old 01-26-2021, 01:16 PM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
The masks protects others in the case you are sick. To respect your fellow citizens you should be waring you mask. If you don't then you do not care about the health of others.

Old 01-26-2021, 08:19 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat22 View Post
Hello everyone,

Could you please tell me what it's like in the Ocala area regarding mask requirements? Do kids have to wear them in school? Can you walk around downtown freely? What about shopping? Also, could you please comment on the general culture or vibe around this issue in Ocala? I can tell you California is horrific and getting worse by the day. Many thanks in advance!

It's certainly much more relaxed here than in California. OK, there's the city of Ocala, and then there's the surrounding area of Marion County, much of which is designated "Ocala" by address. The city of Ocala may "require" masks, but there's no teeth to the "requirement". Our great governor Ron DeSantis has seen to that. Now, private businesses are a different matter. They may or may not have a mask requirement, it's always best to check first. Certainly doctors' offices do require it. I was downtown not too long ago and I didn't see anybody out and about wearing a mask. The business we were patronizing did not have a mask requirement, but the owner put a mask on as a courtesy if a customer came in wearing one.

Outside of the city, in the surrounding areas of Marion County, it's pretty much mask-optional, unless the business requires it. And even then, if a person claims medical exemption, usually no one will bother them. It's all very silly, anyway. The only truly effective mask is the N-95 mask. Anything less than that has been compared to putting up a chain link fence to keep out mosquitoes. At my dentist's office, that is what the employees all wear, with a paper mask over it as an extra added layer.

The sheriff of Marion County requires that office personnel DO NOT wear masks and that anyone entering Sheriff's offices may not wear a mask. Deputies in the field may wear a mask when dealing with the public.

I can't speak to the schools, as I have no idea what their policies are. But the schools are open here in Florida.

I keep a mask with me just in case. The good news is, Covid has all but eradicated the flu in Florida.

Old 01-27-2021, 09:23 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I have a mask on all the time when in public places, I have since March. I live alone I moved here just as things were getting ready to shutdown. I don't know many people and have not been visiting anyone. I really only go shopping at Walmart and thats early in the morning, Planet fitness and the trails in Dunellon. Yet I started getting sick in late Oct and tested Negative. I then got very sick in Early Dec was told I most likely had Covid and tested Negative again. I was then given a test for Covid Antibodies and another one that looks for an infection or inflammation in the body. I tested Positive for both tests and have since tested Negative for the virus. My health has returned for the most part. I was told I most likely developed covid in Oct and it lingered in waves thru Dec.

My point is I didn't have the exposure to family friends and visitors or coworkers as many do. I always have that mask on. I have a number of them. Yet I contracted Covid and it has been no picnic. It is a horrible Virus and Im concerned will my breathing ever completely return to normal. I only recently really got my taste and smell back to Normal.

Though most people in stores have a mask on. I can't complain there. it's that damn Planet Fitness that if there is 50 people in there 3 have a mask on. It's beyond irritating to see it, and I have no use for these people, that would come in there and not wear a mask. I asked about it since members are supposedly required to wear them in PF nationwide. I was told it can't be enforced in states that haven't mandated masks in public places. Florida as can be expected does not. Of course not its the no interest in peoples safety state. It's the we only care about how much money we can make off of you state.

I enjoy my workouts and I need them I would be lost without them. So to deal with their lack of masks there. I could sense I was probably in danger there of getting Covid, so yes that's my fault for going there. I started going there only 2 days a week vs 4. I go to the trails the other days so I'm outside and don't really worry about the virus there. If they had an outdoor gym in this region. I think I would go to that and never go to another indoor gym in Florida. I wouldn't be surprised at all if I picked up Covid at Planet Fitness. I could say just don't go, but I'm not going to let people ruin an activity I have enjoyed all my life. So I workout with a mask on and see the 0ther 97 percent not wearing one. Believe you me I clean every single piece of equipment I use before I use it in that setting.

So Ocala literally stinks on the masks wearing in some places but not all. Places without them are more locally owned places, Barbers for one. I've walked in and out when I saw they were not wearing masks. It's the mindsets that don't care about others in high numbers in much of Florida that are the problem. They feel a mask is beneath them, not comfortable. It is against their rights to freedom. Well I say screw their freedom. I don't give a rats rear end about their freedom. Its been an Int'l Emergency. You have no rights at that point when people are dying. You wear a damn mask. Perhaps when one gets a serious case of Covid, they might see things differently.

Sorry to sound so angry, but in many ways I am. I haven't really felt safe here from this disease at all in Ocala. I wasn't prepared for some of the thoughtless mindsets, that i have seen in high numbers on this mask subject in this area. Thankfully though most stores enforce having it on. Believe me when you get sick with this virus you get an entirely different picture, and have less tolerance for people that don't seem to care.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 01-27-2021 at 09:31 PM..

Old 01-28-2021, 04:35 AM

529 posts, read 1,173,585 times
Good morning, Jimrob. I completely agree with your post. Marion County, and most of Fl, are comprised of those “salt-of-the-earth” folk. You pretty much have to limit your dependence on others and do your own due diligence on damn near everything here. I lost my best friend to COVID. He worked for MCPublicSchools. I did as well. No longer. It all rolls downhill, doesn’t it? The ignorance is astounding. I love Florida but the herd is another story.

Anyway, there are a few trails in the area with fitness stations along the way. Have you looked into those? I know there is one at Jervey Gant, and possibly at Tuscawilla. Not exactly climate-controlled, but may be an option.

Hope you can make your way back to being healthy again.

Dax

Old 01-28-2021, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
Good morning, Jimrob. I completely agree with your post. Marion County, and most of Fl, are comprised of those “salt-of-the-earth” folk. You pretty much have to limit your dependence on others and do your own due diligence on damn near everything here. I lost my best friend to COVID. He worked for MCPublicSchools. I did as well. No longer. It all rolls downhill, doesn’t it? The ignorance is astounding. I love Florida but the herd is another story.

Anyway, there are a few trails in the area with fitness stations along the way. Have you looked into those? I know there is one at Jervey Gant, and possibly at Tuscawilla. Not exactly climate-controlled, but may be an option.

Hope you can make your way back to being healthy again.

Dax
Thank you for your kind post. That was very nice. I didn't know about the trails you mentioned. I will definitely look into them. I.ve been using the Dunellon Trail and the Witlacoochie Trail. I really enjoy those 2 trails and it's great being outdoors there. Those trails don't have fitness stations though.

I'm sorry about your friend passing from Covid. Sadly there have been several, in the large community subdivision I live in.

Do stay safe you just never know what's going to happen in today's world.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:35 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
I would like to share another park/trail worth mentioning. In the SW area, just outside city limits, there is Shalom Park which is adjacent to the On Top of the World community. It is free, very beautiful and well maintained.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I would like to share another park/trail worth mentioning. In the SW area, just outside city limits, there is Shalom Park which is adjacent to the On Top of the World community. It is free, very beautiful and well maintained.
Thanks for that info. I forgot about Shalom. I go there quite frequently. The grounds are so well kept. Great place to go to relax, and get away from the hectic world
Nice place for a walk.

Stay Safe

Old 02-09-2021, 11:58 AM

4 posts, read 6,447 times
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
It's certainly much more relaxed here than in California. OK, there's the city of Ocala, and then there's the surrounding area of Marion County, much of which is designated "Ocala" by address. The city of Ocala may "require" masks, but there's no teeth to the "requirement". Our great governor Ron DeSantis has seen to that. Now, private businesses are a different matter. They may or may not have a mask requirement, it's always best to check first. Certainly doctors' offices do require it. I was downtown not too long ago and I didn't see anybody out and about wearing a mask. The business we were patronizing did not have a mask requirement, but the owner put a mask on as a courtesy if a customer came in wearing one.

Outside of the city, in the surrounding areas of Marion County, it's pretty much mask-optional, unless the business requires it. And even then, if a person claims medical exemption, usually no one will bother them. It's all very silly, anyway. The only truly effective mask is the N-95 mask. Anything less than that has been compared to putting up a chain link fence to keep out mosquitoes. At my dentist's office, that is what the employees all wear, with a paper mask over it as an extra added layer.

The sheriff of Marion County requires that office personnel DO NOT wear masks and that anyone entering Sheriff's offices may not wear a mask. Deputies in the field may wear a mask when dealing with the public.

I can't speak to the schools, as I have no idea what their policies are. But the schools are open here in Florida.

I keep a mask with me just in case. The good news is, Covid has all but eradicated the flu in Florida.
Thank you for all the information! Really appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala