Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 06:48 AM

6 posts, read 19,943 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this area.....First, let me say that I love Ocala. It's laid-back, friendly, reasonably priced and has beautiful trees, less traffic, etc.

With that said, Ocala has a real homeless problem. What in the world is going on??? They seem to travel in groups and will have one panhandling while the overweight woman sits in bushes with her dogs while the man stands in the heat asking for money. Also, there is man that has a large dog that lays on the side of the road and pets the dog, while he looks at his dog that is most likely medicated, day after day, after day. There is garbage all over the ground where these people stand from food people give to them and they just leave it on the ground when they leave.

It is such a shame for such a beautiful place. My question is why is it allowed and why does the city not force these people to move along? There has to be place for these people to get help. It's such a black eye on this community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2022, 09:03 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Ocala is a relatively low-cost area to live in.

Don't be so quick to judge those who panhandle, many of them may not have a choice in the matter. To a certain degree, every city has to deal with this issue and forcing folks to move somewhere else doesn't magically fix anything. Do you want the city/county governments to turn a blind eye on the homeless/economically-challenged by relocating them?

I have lived in the area since 1980.

Old 08-19-2022, 10:35 AM

I am not a cold-hearted person. Just last week I was in SWFL and I saw a man in the Publix parking lot that was clearly homeless. Someone handed him a happy meal and he opened it up and immediately devoured it. He was dirty, lacking hygiene and clearly hungry. I got out of my truck and gave him the money I had emptied out of my wallet ( $45) and a milkshake. I also told him where to go to get services and help. Each year I work on a fundraiser to raise money for the homeless in the area where I am from. I think that any town that has homeless people has failed as a society. We have flung open our borders and care for people who did not enter here legally. They get everything free, including housing, medical, monthly cash,etc. and we have Americans sleeping on the streets, begging for money. I hate that and yes, we have failed. Seniors, Vets, Dogs and Children should never have to be begging for money. If the working age adult wants to waste their life sitting on the side of the road, pretending to limp, then it is their business but cities should not expect their residents to have to deal with this.

I am 100% against people sitting day after day pretending to be needy when they are young people that could be working to support themselves. Then when they have their kids and pets with them as props, it makes me angry. They toss the food that people give them, in a pile. I have seen bags of dog food and dog toys left at the spot where the man with the "sick dog" sits everyday. There is garbage all over where these people sit.

I am new to Ocala but I am willing to bet that there are government services as well as churches to help these people but these people don't want services, they want money for drugs/booze.

My heart breaks for the poor animals that they use as props as they lay in the heat. If there is nothing that can be done for them, then at least take the dogs or children from them for endangerment. They should not have to suffer because their "handler" wants to get free handouts.

Old 08-19-2022, 01:55 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,226,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeoffgrid View Post
I am not a cold-hearted person. Just last week I was in SWFL and I saw a man in the Publix parking lot that was clearly homeless. Someone handed him a happy meal and he opened it up and immediately devoured it. He was dirty, lacking hygiene and clearly hungry. I got out of my truck and gave him the money I had emptied out of my wallet ( $45) and a milkshake. I also told him where to go to get services and help. Each year I work on a fundraiser to raise money for the homeless in the area where I am from. I think that any town that has homeless people has failed as a society. We have flung open our borders and care for people who did not enter here legally. They get everything free, including housing, medical, monthly cash,etc. and we have Americans sleeping on the streets, begging for money. I hate that and yes, we have failed. Seniors, Vets, Dogs and Children should never have to be begging for money. If the working age adult wants to waste their life sitting on the side of the road, pretending to limp, then it is their business but cities should not expect their residents to have to deal with this.

I am 100% against people sitting day after day pretending to be needy when they are young people that could be working to support themselves. Then when they have their kids and pets with them as props, it makes me angry. They toss the food that people give them, in a pile. I have seen bags of dog food and dog toys left at the spot where the man with the "sick dog" sits everyday. There is garbage all over where these people sit.

I am new to Ocala but I am willing to bet that there are government services as well as churches to help these people but these people don't want services, they want money for drugs/booze.

My heart breaks for the poor animals that they use as props as they lay in the heat. If there is nothing that can be done for them, then at least take the dogs or children from them for endangerment. They should not have to suffer because their "handler" wants to get free handouts.
Hi There!

I can see you are genuinely concerned about the Ocala Homeless and the bad news it is going to get worst as our recession increases.

Lots of programs to help them are out of funds.

You already know about how ridiculous housing has been.

Maybe you can be the resident to change things. All it takes is 1 person to start the ball rolling.

We can sit around and debate the problem or find solutions.

Welcome to Ocala!

Angela

Last edited by AngelaRetired; 08-19-2022 at 02:20 PM..

Old 08-19-2022, 02:16 PM

Homeless in Ocala - YouTube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TBYmcPeRAQQ

Old 08-19-2022, 02:34 PM

453 posts, read 300,999 times
Quote:
I'm new to this area.....First, let me say that I love Ocala. It's laid-back, friendly, reasonably priced and has beautiful trees, less traffic, etc.

With that said, Ocala has a real homeless problem. What in the world is going on??? They seem to travel in groups and will have one panhandling while the overweight woman sits in bushes with her dogs while the man stands in the heat asking for money. Also, there is man that has a large dog that lays on the side of the road and pets the dog, while he looks at his dog that is most likely medicated, day after day, after day. There is garbage all over the ground where these people stand from food people give to them and they just leave it on the ground when they leave.

It is such a shame for such a beautiful place. My question is why is it allowed and why does the city not force these people to move along? There has to be place for these people to get help. It's such a black eye on this community.
Why do you think ANY "city" has the legal ability to make people "move along"???

Besides their OWN local politics and the liberal policies that got rid of all that during JFK and DEINSTITUTIONALIZED America, NOTHING can be done.

Liberals believe mentally ill people have the right to stay mentally ill, drug addicted, whatever they want and roam the streets AND even steal if "necessary".

Is this your first time living in a place with transients? Do you watch the national news? It's a complete national epidemic.

Old 08-19-2022, 02:42 PM

453 posts, read 300,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaRetired View Post
Hi There!

I can see you are genuinely concerned about the Ocala Homeless and the bad news it is going to get worst as our recession increases.

Lots of programs to help them are out of funds.

You already know about how ridiculous housing has been.

Maybe you can be the resident to change things. All it takes is 1 person to start the ball rolling.

We can sit around and debate the problem or find solutions.

Welcome to Ocala!

Angela
Oh don't worry. Biden gave out BILLIONS so local corrupt politicians have PLENTY to spend and brag about.

https://www.ocala.com/story/news/non...es/6417725001/

Ocala residents are being evicted to make room for an affordable housing complex for the homeless.

https://www.wcjb.com/2022/07/18/ocal...plex-homeless/

Old 08-19-2022, 05:16 PM

Default Thanks for the info

That is rich. Let's evict people to make room for the homeless. How does that even make sense??? Won't that just make a new group of homeless? I swear these politicians really need to be forced to live with the policies that they make the rest of us live with.

Thanks for posting this info. Since I am new here I am still trying to learn politics,etc. on the area. I moved here (part time) in March. So I really appreciate the info. I don't want people trying to hide the truth. We can solve anything with hiding the truth.

Old 08-19-2022, 05:29 PM

Angela,
I am not sure if this is responding to you. I am not seeing a "reply" tab on your comment??? I'm new on this forum so I am not sure how it works.

Thanks for posting that video. It was interesting. They are saying they get arrested but I had researched the homeless issues here and evidently, it was illegal and then the ACLU sued Ocala to allow the people to panhandle and they returned. So now they are back to being allowed to roam around and beg for money.

I will definitely figure out how I can make a difference.

While I do give homeless money and I do raise money for them, I know that is not solving the problem at all. A huge amount of these people have drug/alcohol problems and they are not interested in anything other than getting money for drugs,etc.

We, as Americans need to be helping these people before we are giving billions to people from other countries.

Old 08-19-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Angela,
I am not sure if this is responding to you. I am not seeing a "reply" tab on your comment??? I'm new on this forum so I am not sure how it works.

Thanks for posting that video. It was interesting. They are saying they get arrested but I had researched the homeless issues here and evidently, it was illegal and then the ACLU sued Ocala to allow the people to panhandle and they returned. So now they are back to being allowed to roam around and beg for money.

I will definitely figure out how I can make a difference.

While I do give homeless money and I do raise money for them, I know that is not solving the problem at all. A huge amount of these people have drug/alcohol problems and they are not interested in anything other than getting money for drugs,etc.

We, as Americans need to be helping these people before we are giving billions to people from other countries.
Hit QUOTE BUTTON on someone's comment to "respond" to their comment. Lol, we have all been there and the old timers came to our rescue. You are welcome!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala