Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 01:13 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,317,556 times

Advertisements

We're still searching for the "perfect spot" to live when my hubby semi-retires. We're really partial to SC and Fl. I noticed that the Silver Springs area has some really good concerts and that is something that we really enjoy. Are the two cities connected and are just one city? Real estate doesn't seem as bad there as a lot of Fl, but what about homeowner's insurance on a small condo? Is it a nice, friendly place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2006, 09:27 PM

61 posts, read 207,539 times
Default Silver Springs Shores

I'm also considering the Silver Springs Shores area and I'd be interested in hearing what anyone who lives in that area has to say about it.

Someone from Ocala told me the best areas were the Northwest of Ocala and the Southeast of area (Silver Spring Shores)

Old 06-25-2007, 01:38 PM

6 posts, read 41,654 times
Smile Ocala/Silver Springs

Ocala is the center city of the area and Silver Springs is a city about 2 miles east of the ocala city limits, but they are basically contiguous now, thanks to the development in-between. Real estate prices are MUCH lower than most of Florida, the average price of a 3/2 home here is about $185,000, compared to about $300,000 in Orlando. The best areas in the city are the southeast near the historic district down to about 31st street, or for older people the SW area. Outside of the city the NW area off of US 27 is a good area. Silver Springs Shores is cheaper, but you get what you pay for(it's a pretty bad area for the most part, and rush hour traffic on Maricamp and Baseline is horrific). I should also point out though that the Historic district is quite a bit more expensive than the rest of the city, for example, a 3/2 home typically goes for about $600,000, and bigger 5/4 homes always go for over $1,000,000unless you get a fixer-upper, and your still looking at $300,000 for a house that could be falling apart. As for the people, Ocala is a pretty good place to live. It's definately friendlier than major cities like Orlando, Tampa, and Miami, and even similarly-sized cities like Gainesville, Lakeland, or Daytona. Crime isn't really a problem here except for the west end area of the city which is pretty much the area between US 27 on the north, US 441/Pine Avenue on the east, SW 10th street on the south, and interstate 75 on the west. It is almost entirely below-poverty level, annd most of Ocala's crime takes place there, but efforts are beginning to redevelop that area. Overall Ocala really is a great place to live, it's central to both coasts, Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville, and new development is coming, such as the new mall-Market Street at Heath Brook

Old 06-25-2007, 02:47 PM

627 posts, read 2,840,937 times
You can find homes in SSS for under $150K (I have seen them at $115K in the past weeks).

Old 06-26-2007, 08:26 AM

9 posts, read 53,067 times
I live in Silver Springs Shores, and I don't have a problem with traffic at all!! There's one intersection that jams up during rush hour (Baseline Rd and Maricamp), but that's everywhere! The Shores is very affordable, and there's many new, beautiful homes for sale at great prices. There are some areas of the Shores that are nicer than others. For example, the area called Porter Shores which is located off of Baseline Rd. is nice. Also, the newer area off of 64th Ave. Rd. is nice. I've heard to stay away from the South side of the Shores - the older section - because of crime. I live close to Lake Weir High School, and there's a huge area of vacant lots off of Lotus Rd. that developers have just started building brand new homes. It's a nice, quiet area, but it's about 12 miles away from town. That's my complaint anyways. I've never had a problem with crime here, but I heard some kids just got arrested for breaking into cars somewhere in the Shores. This is a very large neighborhood, and some areas are a better choice than others. You're sure to find somewhere nice and affordable here. Good luck!

Old 06-26-2007, 03:53 PM

7 posts, read 30,162 times
My parents are retired and living in a new house in Silver Springs Shores and they like it, and shopping and food are close by as well as Silver Springs Park.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 9,038 times
Default empty lot

I also have a lot in silver springs 150 by 75 ?.I wanted it for retirement.But now all my family is in Jersey.And I dont want to go there.I got one empty lot on my left side And and Houses all around.I am the third lot from 64th ave which is a main artery to Marycamp road. 3 miles south of Ocala.If you are interested let me know.And we talk.Sam

Old 01-22-2014, 03:25 PM

10 posts, read 16,514 times
I'm pretty sure I live towards the beginning of silver springs shores it doesn't seem too bad,its got a post office, winn dixie, publix,dominos,they just built the new Walmart here is that the area I hear about?, or do they mean further down it doesn't seem to be that bad to me

Old 01-22-2014, 05:24 PM

6,391 posts, read 10,184,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeytots23 View Post
Ocala is the center city of the area and Silver Springs is a city about 2 miles east of the ocala city limits...
Silver Springs and Silver Springs Shores are not the same community. Siver Springs is E of Ocala, but SS Shores is SE of Ocala.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:54 PM

3,231 posts, read 2,070,228 times
As a rough generalization, Silver Springs Shores is nicest in the following sections:
  • West of Midway Rd & North of Maricamp Rd (34472)
  • Off of Baseline & South of Maricamp Rd but West of Pine Rd (34480 & 34472)
Though as 'dontaskwhy' mentioned, Silver Springs and Silver Springs Shores are different communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala