Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2008, 03:20 PM
1JP 1JP started this thread

6 posts, read 16,538 times

Advertisements

Another Yankee tired of the cold and looking into parts of Florida. I've been through a lot of areas in Florida and the ones I'm pretty much not interested in, are the East Coast and the Pan Handle. I like the "non-city" life and would rather be somewhat inland. Lake County has some nice areas and I'm just looking for more areas that might peak my interests.

I've read some comments about Rednecks, not scared of them Do I care of the area not being diverse, no. I don't mind being a white male in an all white area. It's the thing I'm used to and not looking to change that.

I've seen some talk about HOA's, not interested. I'm buying a house, I don't want to be told what I can and cannot do with my property. I'm not into having crap all strewn about the yard, but I do not like being told what I have to do or not to do with my investment. I like my freedom.

I'm 39 and single, but I'm not into the "Bar Scene" or the lights of a city. I'm very content with myself and I'm not looking as if I have a biological clock ticking I read here about dating and Ocala scene that it's not all that great. No big deal. Ocala is just one area in Marion I would be up to looking into.

I'm into outdoorsy things. Fishing, photography, Cummins powered Dodges with that sled pulls/dragging, quads and 4 Wheeling. That will most-likely be dropping off the list, I believe your State lacks rocks. If anyone knows where there are some, let me know. I'm not talking rocks to skip along a body of water, I'm talking rocks that can roll a Jeep.

So, I'm looking for some insight from some of you that frequent this forum and have the knowledge of your County.

Oh yea, how Yankee of me My name is JP and a big HELLO to all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 10:54 AM

174 posts, read 624,402 times
I'm not sure what point your were trying to make but Ocala is not an all white area, there is a mix of people that live in Ocala that represent many different nationalities. Outdoorsy types seem to really like Ocala and the adjacent forest. Finding quality affordable housing is tough to do in Ocala, all the relatively reasonably priced housing is 'reserved' for retirees. Check www.wearefla.com for area housing and pricing as there are many non deed restricted communities to choose from. 90 minutes to three major metro areas, tampa, jax, and orlando. 45 minutes to the gulf, 75 minutes to the atlantic and about 10 minutes to the country....sounds like you might enjoy it although its not for everybody....cheers

Old 10-03-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSweetWorld View Post
I'm not sure what point your were trying to make but Ocala is not an all white area, there is a mix of people that live in Ocala that represent many different nationalities.

Check www.wearefla.com for area housing and pricing as there are many

ounds like you might enjoy it although its not for everybody....cheers
What point? When it comes to the racial portion of the demographics? I believe I was referring to Marion County as a whole, not Ocala specific, but here is your racial makeup:

The racial makeup of the city was 72.86% White, 22.14% Black, 0.36% Native American, 1.22% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.81% from Other Races, and 1.59% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.74% of the population.

And this is the Counties:

The racial makeup of the county was 84.16% White, 11.55% Black, 0.45% Native American, 0.70% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.69% from Other Races, and 1.44% from two or more races. 6.03% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

When relocating, demographics are an important aspect to view. Demographics in its entirety from school, to employment, age, to makeup, etc. It's important not to just dive right into an area being unaware of everything. Doing your homework and making the best decision for yourself is paramount. I'm well aware that there is no place in the United States that is strictly white. I come from a predominately white area and I'm not looking to change that aspect of it anytime soon. I will not be settling in major metropolises which do not hold any of my interests.

I go through crime reports, police blotters and getting a feel for people surfing the Web and gracing the pages of forums such as this. First hand perspectives in real time.

Thanks for that link, I have also found other sites that have proved very helpful in the real estate area. This one when compiled with the others will prove very helpful. Again, thanks.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:28 PM

26 posts, read 120,515 times
I think Ocala would be a good fit for you based on your interests. There's fresh water fishing but its a good 90 minutes to the ocean. Plenty of outdoorsy stuff, but realize summer down here is like winter up there, the weather is too crummy to go outside, you will be dripping sweat from May-Sept. But October through April it is perfect down here. There's a ton of bugs, cockroaches are everywhere, the women are subpar, but there are alot of great looking girls up in Gainesville, 45 minutes up the road, but thats a college town so most of the women will be college age. I think the biggest issue for you will be finding a job and one that pays decent. There's not much business related jobs. If you are fine doing manufacturing or working retail or restaurants there is plenty of that.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:52 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,818,072 times
Mod edit: removed unnecessary remark There are great bargains to be had as far as property, and no one will tell you how to live, or how your lawn has to look.
There are bargains to be had on SE 1st ST RD, and others in the area, please Google the area, good luck!

Last edited by cmj_fla; 10-05-2008 at 08:46 AM..

Old 10-07-2008, 12:34 AM

Thanks Sord for that info. I don't mind driving, 90 minutes to salty water wouldn't bother me at all. Fishing the fresh is just as relaxing

95girl Mod Cut Thanks for that info

Last edited by cmj_fla; 10-09-2008 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: can not discuss moderators actions

Old 10-07-2008, 08:16 AM

20 posts, read 31,769 times
the property my family has sounds like the perfect place. Its off the main road pavement ends about 1/4 mile from their home. It is a 2004 model 3br/2ba 1783 sq ft. With a fishing pond in back. They are bass and lots of other fish i dont know the names of .almost 2 acres with partial privacy fence. Nice location close to shopping,hospitals and the ocean is about a hour away.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:14 AM

30 posts, read 182,377 times
You can find many places to fit you bill just figure out how much you want to spend on a house.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:40 PM

Any more info Pat? Pics, price?

Old 03-02-2009, 06:24 PM

37 posts, read 56,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JP View Post
Another Yankee tired of the cold and looking into parts of Florida. I've been through a lot of areas in Florida and the ones I'm pretty much not interested in, are the East Coast and the Pan Handle. I like the "non-city" life and would rather be somewhat inland. Lake County has some nice areas and I'm just looking for more areas that might peak my interests.

I've read some comments about Rednecks, not scared of them Do I care of the area not being diverse, no. I don't mind being a white male in an all white area. It's the thing I'm used to and not looking to change that.

I've seen some talk about HOA's, not interested. I'm buying a house, I don't want to be told what I can and cannot do with my property. I'm not into having crap all strewn about the yard, but I do not like being told what I have to do or not to do with my investment. I like my freedom.

I'm 39 and single, but I'm not into the "Bar Scene" or the lights of a city. I'm very content with myself and I'm not looking as if I have a biological clock ticking I read here about dating and Ocala scene that it's not all that great. No big deal. Ocala is just one area in Marion I would be up to looking into.

I'm into outdoorsy things. Fishing, photography, Cummins powered Dodges with that sled pulls/dragging, quads and 4 Wheeling. That will most-likely be dropping off the list, I believe your State lacks rocks. If anyone knows where there are some, let me know. I'm not talking rocks to skip along a body of water, I'm talking rocks that can roll a Jeep.

So, I'm looking for some insight from some of you that frequent this forum and have the knowledge of your County.

Oh yea, how Yankee of me My name is JP and a big HELLO to all
Welcome abord from a yankee to another yankee.. I have been in ocala now for 7 years i moved from NH And yes the same reason to get away from the cold..LOL ocala is ok I guess..it has plenty of shopping places.the only thing i don't like about Ocala is all the cars..but i guess you have to take the bad with the good right?? And yes I do miss those big rocks to..LOL And the mountains..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala