Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 18,168 times

Advertisements

I do not live in any of these retirement communities, but I do have a home in Florida. I have friends at the Villages, and other locations close by. They sold everything outside DC in Maryland and became very unhappy and have been now for 3 years. Spend some time in the location where you plan to retire. Go with the Gut. I love where I live. Decide how you like to spend your time, and understand you will not be close to family in many cases. The other thing a lot of people don't realize when they come to Florida is: Many people head back North in April to Michigan where they have a place on the lakes, to DC where they have an apartment or home, or to NYC. It can be a strange feeling when people head off for their other home. Not everyone lives full time in Florida. Probably half go back to another home or location. Take that into consideration, and decide if you want to play Golf all day or burn up in the Summer time. I have a home in Maryland and in Florida, and now I have actually gone back to work for NASA again. Yes, it gets boring in paradise. I spent a year in Key West and the keys boating and diving. I spent another couple years on East Coast and missed family and friends up north. I love Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral area and the ability to bring a boat up to your back porch. Think about how you want to spend your life. You will not find museums or theatre, but you will find good restaurants and make some great friends. Thats my opinion....spend some time before you buy in the location where you think you want to live. We started out in Tampa and worked our way up. Then headed across Florida to the Atlantic coastline, and LOVE IT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 10:17 PM

12 posts, read 57,396 times
Hi everyone,

Well we closed on June 5th and our now official Stone Creekers.

We are back in Michigan now but hope to get back soon.

I apologize for not contacting anyone while we were there but the whole time was spent shopping for furniture, appliances, arranging to have hard wood floors put in, window treatments etc.

Hope to get a chance to contact some of you fellow Stone Creekers on our next visit.

Larry

Old 06-08-2009, 05:08 AM

49 posts, read 440,789 times
Haven't been back in a while. Have had delays in closing - title issues. Hope to close up here in NY next week and do the same for Stone Creek via Fedex.
If all goes well, I will be down there as a permanent resident the weekend of June 20-21.
I hope to get in touch with all the folks I've talked with here some time after I arrive.

JohnG

Old 06-08-2009, 03:19 PM

67 posts, read 236,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG_NYC View Post
Haven't been back in a while. Have had delays in closing - title issues. Hope to close up here in NY next week and do the same for Stone Creek via Fedex.
If all goes well, I will be down there as a permanent resident the weekend of June 20-21.
I hope to get in touch with all the folks I've talked with here some time after I arrive.

JohnG
John..I am closing 7/7 and will be in SC 7/9. I found a short term rental in Sebastian while waiting for my home in Arlington to be completed at the end os Sept.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:12 PM

12 posts, read 57,396 times
John

Did you move in this past weekend as you expected? How did everything go?

Larry

Old 07-04-2009, 03:29 PM

To all,

I arrived in SC on June 20 and am now a permanent resident in the Arlington section. Sorry for the delay in getting back but I've had to deal with a lot of (non-SC related) issues.

JohnG

Old 07-05-2009, 03:25 PM

67 posts, read 236,956 times
John...I will be in SC this week. Look forward to meeting you. Has anyone figured out an easy way to understand the street system in Ocala?

Old 07-05-2009, 05:09 PM

I can only speak for myself - nope.

Folks have told me that the numbering is logical and it might be. The big problem though are the streets that use multiple names, e.g. a SR (State Road) name and a regular street name. You are driving along and all of a sudden the street has another name. It makes return trips fun.

Luckily, most everything is available on 200 - just got to know left or right.

JohnG

Old 07-06-2009, 03:18 PM

15 posts, read 109,178 times
Default Stone Creek Resales

Ocalagala,

I have been reading all of these posts and see you bought a resale. Where did you find info on the resales?How do they compare in price with the new homes being sold now? My wife and I looked at SC a couple of weeks ago and really like the development as well as the location. We presently live in AL and upon returning home we put our place up for sale. We are moving back to FL again and we are pretty sure it will be in SC. Still checking things out at this point. Any info you would like to share with us would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mori and Sue

Old 07-08-2009, 07:42 AM

24 posts, read 142,359 times
Default Resale Info

If you want info on resales just contact a real estate agent - like me. Or pick up any one of those real estate books that are placed all over town. Or check the local newspapers. Best bet though is to work with a real estate agent. There are a lot of resales on the market now and the owners really want to sell. New home sales have really slowed down. I believe SC is currently building only one home. Summerglen is still selling and building new homes just not as fast as before. Spec homes here are selling below resale prices. Then there are short sales and foreclosures. Some very good deals can be had only it may be months before you close, if you close. Jake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala