Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:16 AM

6 posts, read 22,761 times

Advertisements

We're considering moving to Ocala. We live in Wisconsin and are sick of the cold. I would greatly appreciate any comments about Ocala. I have 2 young boys so need to know something about the schools also. How about the weather? Does Ocala get a lot of tornadoes/hurricanes? Is there a lot to do in Ocala for a family? What area in Ocala is the best to live in? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 11:47 PM

8 posts, read 44,892 times
I have grown up here in ocala and it is pretty much a quiet place to live. Lots of horses and retirment in the area and not a whole lot of activity relating to gangs. I have two children in elementary school and I am pleased with their school and progress. I honestly can't remember the last hurricane that has reached us...we are pretty far inland and mainly recieve the rain from any passing hurricanes. Of course in June and July it rains almost every afternoon for about an hour. Other than that the weather is great. Their is not much for the family to do here..local movie, skating, and bowling...oh silver springs and a water park also...but we are about and hour from Orlando and a little father to tampa...were there is lots to do there...people are nice and keep to them selves...the western part of Ocala near top of the world is a great place. Good Luck

Old 06-11-2009, 06:32 AM

Thank you for the information. Sounds kinda like the small town I live in now. Would you happen to know anything about Gainesville by any chance? Looks like it's a bigger city, but wondering if the weather is like Ocala? It's rigt next to Ocala right? How far way are the two from one another? Thanks again for the information, much appreciated!

Old 06-11-2009, 09:18 PM

36 posts, read 99,411 times
Gainesville and Ocala are about 45 minutes apart. There is more opportunity in Gainesville as far as white collar jobs. Marion County is experiencing a lot of decline in employment and store/restaurant closings. As far as the public school educational system, Florida is 50th in the nation in educational dollars. Your children are literally light years ahead of any public school down here.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:36 PM

63 posts, read 293,103 times
Do not beleive the person about the weather. It is very humid all the time except for two months in the winter. If they grew up there then they are used to it. I am from California and I was very very uncomfortable six months of the year. From what I saw, you run from your airconditioned house to airconditioned car to airconditioned work. All I said to myself was, its hot, my shirt is wet, I wish my a/c worked in my car, Is that a heat rash? I lived in Gainesville about 35 miles north for six years. And then its not cheap to run the ac all the time, most likely a $200 electric bill.

Last edited by Roccaluma; 06-11-2009 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-12-2009, 06:29 AM

415 posts, read 2,333,712 times
I lived in Ocala from 2003 to 2006, had a hard time with employment, not much money in Ocala, but I really enjoyed living there. Got a job offer in Columbia SC, moved here in Oct. 2006, bad move, sure miss Ocala. Would love to come back, just have to figure out what to do to make a living there. Jobs are scarce and don't pay very well.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:40 PM

Agreed. The weather is quite humid here . . . especially now!

Old 06-15-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwing View Post
I lived in Ocala from 2003 to 2006, had a hard time with employment, not much money in Ocala, but I really enjoyed living there. Got a job offer in Columbia SC, moved here in Oct. 2006, bad move, sure miss Ocala. Would love to come back, just have to figure out what to do to make a living there. Jobs are scarce and don't pay very well.
Curious, what is your field?

Old 06-15-2009, 08:22 PM

So is the weather humid in the winter months? I mean hear in Wisconsin it's humid July and August and then we get the cold weather already end of September. 20 - 30 degree below weather really stinks, so I'm not to worried about the warmth. Is their a market for construction jobs or plumbing jobs? How about in the financial field?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:27 AM

415 posts, read 2,333,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowcala View Post
Curious, what is your field?
I am in the moving business, primarily Sales, Outside sales, sales management. Worked for the Local United Van Lines office and the local Allied office for a few years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala