U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-09-2007, 05:50 AM

56 posts, read 116,422 times
Where are those new homes for $145k?

The problem i see with Ocala is that it wasn't built or has been designed to allow for the growth.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,994 times
Default Ocala

Hello, I moved to Ocala 2 years ago. Known loaclay as Slocala...i agree.

No planning for growth, poor education and low wages.
And did i say no planning for growth. Its too late now....ugly for keeps.

The city of Deltona aside Volusia is a well run county with better wages and qualified leaders.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:17 PM

1,775 posts, read 5,431,967 times
I live about 30 minutes from Ocala and travel there quite often. Ocala believe it or not on their city welcome sign says Horse Capital of the World (which i didn't even know until i read it) though most of the horse farms are out of sight. you have to travel the back roads to see them. It is a beautiful ride though to see. Ocala has quite a few high end retirement communities and more going up. It is a big city though i have never really explored the residental areas and i'm not sure about the cost of living there. I live in Inverness which is a quiet little town and has great schools always looking for new teachers as student population increases. I don't think i personally would want to live in Ocala. To me it's quite a busy city and i'd rather live in a smaller town as well. Check out Citrus County. Afterall we are Manatee Capital of the world and what better to do than swim with a manatee. Just stay away from Crystal River, that's the high end price of the county because it's on the coastline.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglewing8 View Post
we are thinking of moving down to FL. from IL. we have 2 children 10 and 17. We are looking at Marion County or Citrus County. We come from a small town about 23,000. Of those 2 counties which one would be better for kids? And what about the schools. I'm more concern with the younger one.
I live in Inverness in Citrus County and as far as the schools, well i have a 14 year old BLIND daughter in public school since 3rd grade who is now in 7th and i am so very pleased with the way the school has helped her along. For me to be so satisfied with her school is saying something huge as in her first few years of school in another county, i was furious with them. Inverness is not too big of a town. i think total County population is just over 120,000. It has the necessicities of life with shopping, groceries etc. Beutiful parks along the lakes as i live right by one of the lakes smack dab in the middle of the town. Fishing, boating, swimming all right here intown. Marion county is nice too but if i had a choice, i'd pick Citrus County over Marion.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:32 PM

13 posts, read 37,735 times
Silver Springs has a problem with sink holes. In fact, there used to be a movie theatre in Silver Springs but a sink hole developed underneath it so it is closed. This was in the last two weeks.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:37 AM

11 posts, read 23,885 times
hi I really had never done one of these forums before so I just now saw your reply Sorry! I hope you are still in the forum.
Well I am not Panamanian but yes I agree it is a beutiful country I have been very furtunate to have lived here the last seven years and mu kids have loved it.
I bought in Meadowood Farms, I am looking foward to moving there. but the house needs a lot of work and I need to start findinding the right people for the different jobs.
do you know the area and can you tell me anything about West Port high school
thanks

Old 02-10-2007, 09:04 AM

5,701 posts, read 17,113,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nina View Post
hi I really had never done one of these forums before so I just now saw your reply Sorry! I hope you are still in the forum.
Well I am not Panamanian but yes I agree it is a beutiful country I have been very furtunate to have lived here the last seven years and mu kids have loved it.
I bought in Meadowood Farms, I am looking foward to moving there. but the house needs a lot of work and I need to start findinding the right people for the different jobs.
do you know the area and can you tell me anything about West Port high school
thanks
Welcome to the forum....

Old 02-11-2007, 02:27 PM

56 posts, read 116,422 times
Just got done speaking with our friends that live next door. They live in a 3/2 1800 sq ft home with a pool. The house was built in the mid 70's. They have bought a new home and are currently asking $280k for it. My wifes aunt lived in this prior and sold it 5 years ago for $145k. This is a decent home, but it absolutely blows my mind of the price. He does real estate on the side and he is pricing it to sell since he has already bought another home.

He also told us the house that is behind us that burnt 3 years ago and got refurbished is selling for $339k and has an offer on it. I suspect with some remodeling of our home that we could easily ask above $230k and have it sold. Our home is a 3/2 built in 74. This house was appraised at $120k 3 years ago when i started nursing school and we got a second mortgage.

You tell me what the market is here. Our home is nice, but i can assure you the price we now know we can look at is really ridiculous. The wife and i were absolutely shocked when he told us this.

So please tell me again where new homes are being built for $145k.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:11 PM

13,496 posts, read 24,916,730 times
What part of the state do you live in? It seems there are so many conflicting stories here and I think it depends on what area of the state you live in and not people seeing things differently or getting different info. Since this is an "Ocala" thread, do you live in that area? From the things I've been reading, that area has just had a population explosion this past year.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
What part of the state do you live in? It seems there are so many conflicting stories here and I think it depends on what area of the state you live in and not people seeing things differently or getting different info. Since this is an "Ocala" thread, do you live in that area? From the things I've been reading, that area has just had a population explosion this past year.

I don't live in ocala but about 30 minutes from there and i do quite a bit of shopping out there as it's the closest mall to me but yes, it definately has had a population boom the past year or even 2 and it's still growing. They are now expanding south with restaurants, shopping center, medical centers etc and it's just getting crazy. You could probably find every restaurant in that town and it's amazing, they are always full to capacity with a 30 minute wait anyday of the week. Ocala's main road just finished widening the road from 4 lanes to 6 lanes and it's still a busy road. Also gated retirement communities are big in Ocala. It's a beutiful area but very busy if that's what your looking for. I prefer to live the next town or so over and be in the country and not in the middle of all the commotion. Not to mention I-75 runs right through Ocala and oh, what a mess I-75 is with all them semi's. I actually live in Inverness which is a much smaller town but tolerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala