Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 07:58 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbizz View Post
I did look at the Public Transportation site you provided me... it does help Thanks! I noticed that the map date is 2008... does anyone know if that is the most recently updated version?
I think there is a phone # on the site? If so, they could tell you if that schedule is accurate...... I would hope its current!
Will talk to my Mom tomorrow about SS van, and then will post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 09:09 PM

10 posts, read 26,823 times
Thanks a bunch kshe95girl!

Old 10-31-2009, 09:16 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbizz View Post
Thanks a bunch kshe95girl!
Just got back a bit ago from Jax, last minute chance to go to the Gator game........ still working on senior services info for you...... Mom said theres no one around on the weekends to ask for info (of course!)

Old 11-06-2009, 05:32 AM

509 posts, read 1,680,280 times
Is Gainesville an option for you? I guess because of the University, there is a pretty good public transportation system there.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:47 AM

Could be! Don't know much about Gainesville, except that it is a college town.... my mom is 60... and does not want to be in a big city again, making the move from West Palm Beach, but would welcome any suggestions about where to look. Does Gainesville have a over 60 population, 55+ housing options... things for non-college folks to do... my mother likes Country music, NASCAR, sports (new england fan), horses, used to like to dance? She currently works at a daycare, and will need to continue to work for several years, so how is the employment in that area for entry level jobs? Probably not worse than Ocala it sounds like. How is the crime rate, safe to use public transportation? Thanks for any and all info. you can think of!

Old 11-06-2009, 11:09 AM

509 posts, read 1,680,280 times
I like Gainesville alot - work there and live in a nearby bedroom community. There are retirement communities there and excellent health care because of Shands Hospital and its associated clinics. It is as safe as any community of its size. There's always something going on because of the university and Santa Fe Community College - museums, community theatre, concerts, etc. Changing jobs anywhere in Florida is a challenge right now and I imagine will be your biggest hurdle. In addition to working in childcare, she might also consider working as a home health aide/adult sitter as there are several home health agencies in Gainesville, in addition to Shands. Sometimes the hospitals hire people to just sit with some of the patients. You will find people who will say negative things about Gainesville, just like you've heard about Ocala. If your mother is more comfortable in Ocala because she is familiar with it, that is a significant factor. Gainesville is an easy city to learn your way around because of the way the streets/avenues are laid out.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:23 PM

5 posts, read 13,111 times
We visited Sun City Center outside Tampa and that community may be what you are looking for. A highway splits Sun City there and along the highway is most any kind of store one might need. Most everything is golf cart accessible on both sides of the highway and there are four locations where golf carts can cross the highway. Just a thought since it is so different from any Sun City we have visited.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:40 PM

Does anyone have info. on Sun City Center... as far as living expenses, condo or HOA fees, etc. and what is included in the fees. What I have found on the chamber site does seem to be of interest. Any other areas that we sould consider would be appreciated as well!!! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala