Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:52 PM

10 posts, read 26,808 times

Advertisements

My mother originally moved from Maine to Ocala 15 years ago, but had a stroke 10 years ago and had to move in with family. She is now on her own again, working at a daycare in West Palm Beach, but my sister has moved from WPB to GA and I live in NH which is too difficult for her to live here due to snow, so she is now alone there. She would love to move back to Ocala. I am worried that things may have change in Ocala in the past 15 years since she last lived there and she can no longer drive due to visual impairment from her stroke at age 50. I have done some research about On Top Of The World, as I noticed that people can get around by golf cart and sounds like most daily needs would be within walking distance... does anyone know if that is true? She also needs to be able to work... as she is young.. 60 and has been denied from SS Disability. Does anyone know about costs of OTOW... I found a condo / house for $39,900 but wondered about the real costs... condo fees, utilities, etc. Also, what is the employment options around the area, if there are any. Any other info. about safe moble home parks or other communities offering safe independance for a 60year old who needs to work and can't drive. Any info. would be much appreciated!!!

Last edited by nhbizz; 10-26-2009 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: Correct wording
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 07:58 AM

12 posts, read 57,555 times
We bought a second home in Stone Creek which is right next to OTOW. I don't think she will be able to walk to anything from there as there is not much there. She would have to get (by auto) to Highway 200 and then go east from there and she will find what she needs, but to think she can walk it would not be feasible.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:02 PM

Thank you for the Info. Is there a bus system that services that area? I know very little about the area, as I only visited my mother 2 times while she lived there 15 years ago and she drove then, so a very different experience when you are more limited with travel. I am trying to help her search for a place that she can retire and be independent and have a social life again. She is very outgoing, but feels isolated in West Palm Beach... people are not as down to earth and friendly there and not the safest place to have to walk around. Are there areas of "downtown" that are safe and appropriate for a 60+ who relies on public transportation?

Old 10-29-2009, 06:29 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
There is a shopping center right next to the entrance to On Top Of The World that a lot of the residents drive golf carts to. OTOW also has buses that take residents to Dr appts, etc.
Here is a link to the website. I have done a lot of design work out there, its a nice place for someone like your mom, hope this snippet of info helps.
Active Adult 55+ Retirement Community in Florida - On Top of the World Communities

Old 10-29-2009, 07:43 PM

Thanks! I have seen their website, while trying to research the area, but was unsure about what was actually built now there and what was just outside the community gates. It sounds like the next info. I would need to get is the costs associated with living in OTOW ... most likely in the older area of the development where she would be able to afford to live. I have noticed some rentals listed on Realtor.com and other realtor sites from Ocala. Does anyone have any info. they could provide regarding ways to find reasonable year rentals in that area or other communities that match the above mentioned criteria? She would most likely need to be $700 or less monthly... assuming she can find employment there.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:15 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Would prob. expand your search to other 55+ communities (there's several in the area), apartments and trailer parks and see what's affordable and what's near daycare centers, stores, offices etc (places where she'd seek employment). Prob. the best way for her to get a feel for it is to visit for a few days in person with someone knowledgable about the area, transportation etc, she needs to get the 'lay of the land' and see if she even likes it. Maybe a roommate situation w/b doable (assuming they're compatible), a lot of ppl are looking to economize these days. She prob. has to take the bull by the horns (easy to say, I know). The Villages is also a golf-cart community (prob. there are others) but realistically, if she couldnt pass a regular drivers test, she prob. shouldnt be behind the wheel of a gc, it's just too chancey.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:59 PM

Thank you for your input. I would assume that if there are places close enough to community living that can be accessed by golf cart, than she should be able to access the same easily by bike, but I agree with your comment about it be chancey! Unfortunately, our country is made for people who can drive... unless you want to live in a large city, then you have to deal with crime, crowds and cost! It seems like there has to be a safe option in a warm state where you don't have to deal with snow or ice and can get around by safe public transportation. Unfortunately public transportation seems to be one of the first things cut back on when times get tough... at the same time that more people may have to rely on it, as they can't afford to drive, if they are lucky enough to be able to. I'm sure my mother is not the only one out there looking for this and maybe my hopes are unrealistic, but we will keep looking! Any other's advice on specific places and community names to start looking at would be great. It is quite a drive from West Palm Beach to Ocala area and I would have to fly to FL from NH with my two toddlers to make the trip to visit the area with my mother, so I want a general area and ideas of places to look at before I make the trip. I am planning on trying to take her to look in January, with her hopes of moving somewhere different when her lease is up in June. Any other info. would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Old 10-30-2009, 07:08 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
There is public trans, will post the link, there is also a Senior Services van, will ask my Mom about that, and then post the link for that as well.
The bus system is rather limited, but its better than nothing!
City of Ocala and Marion County Suntran (http://www.ocalafl.org/suntran.aspx?id=264 - broken link)

Old 10-30-2009, 07:26 PM

Thanks,
As I stated before, unfortunately, that is the song for most places... limited bus service! Make's it almost imposible for someone who has to rely on it to get to and from work.. many times it does not start early enough, or last stop is too early to get home from work, or with most lower paying jobs, weekend work is almost imposible to rely on just public transportation. Any info. on other transportation options in the area would be greatly appreciated. In West Palm, my mother used to use their van service for people with special needs.... that was until the driver ran a light and got in an accident, which gave my mother neck issues to go with her stroke issues! Hopefully Ocala's senior services van is safer and better managed than the one in WPB, but don't think it can be worse! Thanks for any follow up info you may have!

Last edited by nhbizz; 10-30-2009 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 10-30-2009, 07:36 PM

I did look at the Public Transportation site you provided me... it does help Thanks! I noticed that the map date is 2008... does anyone know if that is the most recently updated version?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala