U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 9,406 times

Advertisements

I owned a courtyard villa in the Rio Grande area of The Villages for 5 years, I finally had enough and sold my home and moved away 2 months ago. Many of my neighbors were shocked that I would consider living elsewhere and some tried to discourage me from leaving. The Villages has many fine amenities...however, there is The Villages mentality (la la land and that it is "always a beautiful day in The Villages") that exists and I found difficult. I would advise if you are considering about retiring to The Villages rent and experience the lifestyle before purchasing a permanent home. You might love it, but then again......The Villages is not always "the friendliest hometown".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 02:45 AM

49 posts, read 167,374 times
The Villages is awesome for retirees. It spans on the corner of the four counties and it's not really part of Ocala. They are their own City now: the city of the Villages. It is extremely overpriced so if you're on budget...don't do it. On the other hand, it's a quaint area. You dont' drive much and can get anywhere on your golfcart. Seriously...most people there don't drive b/c all the little subdivisions or communities all connect. There is even a little bridge that goes over the main highway so you can cross it on your cart w/o wasting much gas. They have their own hospitals, town squares (I think more than one depending on which section you live in), multiple golf courses. I think each section has their own restaurants, shops, etc.. There's publix, outback, longhorn, their own movie theater, lakes, golfing, and much, much partying at the squares every weekend. YOU need to be advised though...THERE IS A TREMENDOUS SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASE PROBLEM IN THIS AREA. I worked in Summerfield with a financial advisor and did all the p.r. for his seminars that took place in Lady Lake and the Villages and I would not dare pee in any of the restaurants. Many of the residents that move to this area and then end up being a widow tend to be a bit promiscuous. I have seen it with my own eyes. The square on a Fri or Sat night when there is a concert is all about drinking, smooching, and partying. They act worse than my teenager!

It is a great community though because you have everything at your fingertips. There's all kinds of clubs to belong to like the "Maryland Club, the retired Vets, the Red Hat Ladies, etc...." There's a club for every ethnic group and any place of previous recidence. They have block parties and pot lucks too. When I get older (I'm only 37), I would definitely retire to this are. Yes, the homes are pricey, but considering all the gas you're going to save and the huge social life you will inherit, I think it's worth it.

You may want to look into the Summerfield area for housing prices that are a bit more affordable. I lived in Ocala for five years, worked in Summerfield/LL/The Villages and loved it. My hubby was laid off work and we had to move out of there. To give you an idea....my home is fully paid off in Ocala, sitting across the street from a golfcourse and I can't even sell it for 1/2 of what I got it for. It's close the Villages and Summerfield too, but that doesn't help. The market there is doing very poor. I am not sure how this has affected The Villages.

Good luck...it truly is a retiree's paradise!!!

Old 06-14-2010, 02:50 AM

49 posts, read 167,374 times
Default you got it!!!!! not the friendliest people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager60 View Post
I owned a courtyard villa in the Rio Grande area of The Villages for 5 years, I finally had enough and sold my home and moved away 2 months ago. Many of my neighbors were shocked that I would consider living elsewhere and some tried to discourage me from leaving. The Villages has many fine amenities...however, there is The Villages mentality (la la land and that it is "always a beautiful day in The Villages") that exists and I found difficult. I would advise if you are considering about retiring to The Villages rent and experience the lifestyle before purchasing a permanent home. You might love it, but then again......The Villages is not always "the friendliest hometown".
You got that totally right!!! The folks that move to the villages are outsiders and they think they own the place. They are extremely rude and although some of them are very friendly and have that "country life attitude" some of the others think they are high rollers and look down on others.

I know that their sign says "The Villages....friendliest place" or something like that and I agree...it isn't always friendly.

ALSO...BEWARE OF THE INSURANCE AGENTS AND INVESTMENT "OPPORTUNITIES" THAT HOUND SO MANY OF THE ELDERS IN THIS AREA. You will receive calls day and night regarding "free luncheons w/ seminars to discuss your portfolio." A lot of them are scammers. If you have investments, check with the Florida Department of Financial Services for any complaints filed on that person.

I know, I worked for a financial advisor who claimed to be "18 years in The Villages" and I know I'm young, but I know the villages isn't that old!

Old 06-21-2010, 05:22 PM

4,111 posts, read 12,826,509 times
They have 4-day/nite stays or 6 or 7-day/nite stays which include staying in a home there, a golf cart, 2 bikes, several vouchers, they give you a pass so you can go to any rec club or pool there etc. Some people go once, others more than once to see if The Villages is a fit for them, the lifestyle visit is a great way to find out. They have apprx 76 restaurants, over 600 clubs, several Publix, Walmarts, Targets as well as some nice shops in the town squares, where they have the free entertainment each nite (various vendors too). It's a distance from the ocean which w/b a consideration if one likes the beach etc and it might be just too much hustle and bustle for some people too (although you can do as much or as little as you like).

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
The lifestyle visit seems rather expensive, I believe it's $700 or so + transporatation. Seems like one needs thoughtful consideration first, before spending a week of vacation and cash to check it out. I was there for an afternoon last May and there was NO ONE around. I mean the place was just about empty. I guess everyone who was living there in May was indoors. It was totally dead. The restaurant near the highway was full of old people with walkers and canes having dinner at 4:30 p.m. We did have a tour and saw all the amenities, which are many, although I don't think I'll have much use for the polo field.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:43 PM

140 posts, read 646,394 times
Flchic has it spot on correct. People who are snowbirds, and even those who aren't, can be terribly, i mean nasty rude. They think THEY own the place. They'll push ahead of you in line; yell at you if you take too long to check out in a store. Drive their golf car like maniacs and the area is rampant with golf car road rage...I mean really nasty stuff. Plus if you go out to eat at restaurants, expect long lines and waits...there's no such thing as getting sitting down at a restaurant. Plus, if you are comfortable seeing only old people, kind of in God's waiting room, with fbery few younger or even middle age people around, then The Villages may be okay for you. Certainly, it's not all that it's advertised to be....those adverts are posed. Think about Stone Creek in Ocala, OTOW, in Ocala, or SummerGlen in Summerfield, Florida. Good luck and really do your homework and think about the other possibilities I mentioned.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:34 PM

73 posts, read 116,833 times
dont go there run! run! run! away from ocala

Old 06-29-2010, 08:13 PM

213 posts, read 497,051 times
Loved reading all these posts, some very accurate, others border on idiocy.

The political scene is pretty bad, as it mirrors FoxNews and all that goes with it.

But, if there is a better retirement area anywhere in the country, please list it below.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Better is subjective.

I went to the Villages, visited friends. The more people went on about how we should move there, the more afraid to move there I became. I felt like I was walking around the Florida version of the Stepford Wives. The whole place really DOES have that Twilight Zone vibe.

Plus, if you want privacy, you have to live in a Villa. None of the other homes in the Villages allow privacy fences. So, if you want to sunbathe nude in your own back yard, you'll have to accept that all your neighbors can see you. And it's probably against their rules anyway. You're told what colors are approved to paint the outside of your home, and in fact you're not even allowed to paint a design on your own driveway.

The number and variety of activities is breathtaking. I love the IDEA of the Villages. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't love the idea of it. But the reality of it is cult-like. You either join the happy fun fun always on always smiling always cheery Borg, or you're somehow missing out and the unfortunate inferior being that just doesn't get it.

Thanks..I really love visiting, and hope to visit again. But if I won a free home and free amenity fees for 10 years, I'd still prefer to look somewhere else for my retirement home.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:15 AM

9,362 posts, read 22,334,554 times
The Villages IS like Disney for adults, but a right-wing Disney, which is what would be off-putting to me. All those conservatives in golf carts is a scary thought!

For anyone going to check out the Villages, I'd suggest that while there you also check out Harbor Hills Country Club. It's close enough to enjoy the Villages, but has a different vibe. Although many retirees live there, there are also professionals and families with children. Gorgeous homes. Conservative, too, though. Their FB page gives an idea of the cool sense of community at Harbor Hills. I fell in love with it the first time I visited.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:17 AM

1,443 posts, read 2,147,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
The Villages IS like Disney for adults, but a right-wing Disney, which is what would be off-putting to me. All those conservatives in golf carts is a scary thought!

For anyone going to check out the Villages, I'd suggest that while there you also check out Harbor Hills Country Club. It's close enough to enjoy the Villages, but has a different vibe. Although many retirees live there, there are also professionals and families with children. Gorgeous homes. Conservative, too, though. Their FB page gives an idea of the cool sense of community at Harbor Hills. I fell in love with it the first time I visited.
My folks live there, they are pretty strong democrats - they love it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala