U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 09:11 PM

97 posts, read 184,871 times
Default R U thinking of moving to OCALA,FL?

I have been in Ocala,Florida (Marion Co.) for 10 years. Wow. Man I wish I never moved here.
Ocala utilities are one of the nations highest electricity companies.
I live about 8 min. from Silver springs attractions.
My wife and I own a house and have (OUC ) Ocala Utilities Comp. And in the summer we pay $585-$630 MONTHLY for electric.
In the winter we pay $520-$596 MONTHLY.
Everything else here is high. We only have Walmart here for groceries, well we have WinnDixie but they run a very high race with Walmart as far as high food.
If you dont have millions in the bank or own horse farms...working here well...there is no work.
I am a certified welder and fabricator in which I have been for over 13 years and I have not worked since October this year.
There is no jobs here.
In June 2010 I plan on moving out of here mabe to Houston. That seems like the place for welders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 10:16 AM

7 posts, read 48,940 times
wow did not know it was so expensive! what other town in fl. would you move to ?

Old 12-26-2009, 10:43 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,328,959 times
How old is your house? You might have some air leaks around the windows and such that is effecting your energy effeciency. How old is your hot water heater, AC unit, refridgerator, washer and dryer? These may be also using too much energy by today's more energy efficient standards.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:44 AM

11,502 posts, read 7,733,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGELLSMEGASTORE View Post
I have been in Ocala,Florida (Marion Co.) for 10 years. Wow. Man I wish I never moved here.
Ocala utilities are one of the nations highest electricity companies.
I live about 8 min. from Silver springs attractions.
My wife and I own a house and have (OUC ) Ocala Utilities Comp. And in the summer we pay $585-$630 MONTHLY for electric.
In the winter we pay $520-$596 MONTHLY.
Everything else here is high. We only have Walmart here for groceries, well we have WinnDixie but they run a very high race with Walmart as far as high food.
If you dont have millions in the bank or own horse farms...working here well...there is no work.
I am a certified welder and fabricator in which I have been for over 13 years and I have not worked since October this year.
There is no jobs here.
In June 2010 I plan on moving out of here mabe to Houston. That seems like the place for welders.
You have lived in Ocala for 10 years and did not know the cost of living before now?

Texas jobs are slowing and people are having hard times finding jobs even in Texas now.

Being a welder you are in a specialized field and you need to move to an area that needs welders.

Even think of working for the new pipeline that is being built in the midwest?

Those welders are making 30 bucks+ and hour working on the pipelines.

By the way, we pay 400-600 per month for heat in central Ohio several months a year.

Just make sure you check the COL before you move so there wont be any surprises down the road.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:20 PM

215 posts, read 554,472 times
I live in Ocala and have a 3300 sq ft house and pay no where near that much in summer or winter. Maybe 300. tops! This time a year, this months bill was $159.00. I am on the south west side and we have all types of shopping, a mall, several public grocery stores, plenty of restaurants, and 3 area hospitals. I dont know about jobs, but I guess thats tough all over!

Old 12-26-2009, 01:20 PM

Default cost of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenkate View Post
wow did not know it was so expensive! what other town in fl. would you move to ?
10 years aga was a very long time ago. Working here wasnt too bad. But when all this hard times hit 1-2 yrs. ago it demolished this place.
Now there is nothing.
1-8 years ago you could go and find a job. But what you dont understand is, that when a small place like this gets hit...we get hit hard.
All the bigger plants now have all gone, and the only few that are left will not hire.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:22 PM

Default Seco or ouc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue717 View Post
I live in Ocala and have a 3300 sq ft house and pay no where near that much in summer or winter. Maybe 300. tops! This time a year, this months bill was $159.00. I am on the south west side and we have all types of shopping, a mall, several public grocery stores, plenty of restaurants, and 3 area hospitals. I dont know about jobs, but I guess thats tough all over!
If you have SECO your bill will be much less. Do you live in the city? If you dont then you wont pay their high cost of electricity.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:34 PM

2,510 posts, read 1,132,217 times
I am visiting with my children in Ocala but I am from New Jersey. Taxes here are nothing.....New Jersey has the highest property taxes of all 50 states and is very unfriendly tax wise to residents and business and forget about being able to retire there. If your a welder and fabricator then stop waiting for someone else to give you a job....start your own business doing something with your skills. And....yes....I am self employed in my own business and the sole employee......if I can do it in New Jersey you can in Florida too where the tax atmosphere is much more business friendly.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
I am visiting with my children in Ocala but I am from New Jersey. Taxes here are nothing.....New Jersey has the highest property taxes of all 50 states and is very unfriendly tax wise to residents and business and forget about being able to retire there. If your a welder and fabricator then stop waiting for someone else to give you a job....start your own business doing something with your skills. And....yes....I am self employed in my own business and the sole employee......if I can do it in New Jersey you can in Florida too where the tax atmosphere is much more business friendly.
Tell me Mr. Business man if a person like has been unemployed since October like I have , and drawing unemployment like myself then how can I start anything.
I am going to C.T.A.E getting more welding certs so I can get a much better job and maybe save enough to start something later on but.... right now is so impossible.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:42 PM

3,378 posts, read 4,104,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Really Flyers Fan? So visiting your children in Ocala you feel qualified to advise him to "stop waiting for someone else to give him a job." How condescending of you. When youve lived in Ocala as he has -then perhaps you can advise as to the feasibility of him opening a welding business. I would not move to Ocala but am familiar enough with the area to know its not a hotbed of employment opportunities.

OP - I think your utility bills are a real problem, and understand your frustration. Do what you have to - including relocating - just do your homework on realistic employment opportunities and cost of living. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala