Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 01:04 PM

521 posts, read 870,209 times

Advertisements

How come nobody mentions Gainesville on the posts? Rarely read reviews on the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 06:43 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,935 times
I have seen a lot of posts recently about people moving there.

Its a nice place. Great colleges, great healthcare, nice natural areas nearby to get out and about.

I love me some Gainesville.

It certainly isn't forgotten....

Old 03-28-2013, 10:44 AM

39 posts, read 74,106 times
I've wondered the same thing. As Gainesville is over twice the size, population wise, as Ocala, I'm surprised it doesn't have a City-data listing. Oh well, after bouncing around the state we ended up here and could be happier.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:27 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey7beard View Post
I've wondered the same thing. As Gainesville is over twice the size, population wise, as Ocala, I'm surprised it doesn't have a City-data listing. Oh well, after bouncing around the state we ended up here and could be happier.
Gainesville is twice the size of Ocala like you stated, But Gainesville is practically all there is to Alachua County. Marion county winch Ocala lies in, On the other hand has over 80,000 more people than Alachua. I also do think the thread should be called Gainesville-Ocala not just Ocala-Marion County. Gainesville is certainly not a forgtten city maybe people are just thrown off by there not being a thread that states Gainesville on it.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:16 AM

39 posts, read 98,424 times
So if you had to chose to live in Ocala or Gainsville, which would it be? Also, anyone know much about the St. Mary area? My husband and I are retiring to Florida within the year and had targeted Ocala for its country setting. We are coming from rural northern Maine and want out of winters. We would like a place with a smallish town feel. thank you.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy parker View Post
So if you had to chose to live in Ocala or Gainsville, which would it be? Also, anyone know much about the St. Mary area? My husband and I are retiring to Florida within the year and had targeted Ocala for its country setting. We are coming from rural northern Maine and want out of winters. We would like a place with a smallish town feel. thank you.
Well since you are retiring then Ocala would be the place to be it is one of the retirement meccas. I have never been to Maine so i do not know what a small town is like up there. I was raised in the outskirts of Ocala horse country,And whenever we talked about Going to Ocala we referred to it as town. Back then i thought it was pretty big now i live in Orlando whenever I tell people I am from Ocala. They think of it as the country as do I, But it no longer feels like big place i used to know. Population wise it is very comparable to Portland Me. It is a little bigger. But as soon as you leave the Ocala city limits is pretty much is A country place where everyone has tons of land and have horse farms.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:44 PM

thank you for the info.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:52 PM

You are welcome, and Good luck on your move!

Old 03-31-2013, 10:31 AM

39 posts, read 74,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy parker View Post
So if you had to chose to live in Ocala or Gainsville, which would it be?
Gainesville for me, obviously, but I'd be happy in either city. I like being as far north in Florida as possible and this gains a tad. I like the friendly educated atmosphere. I see Gainesville as being a bit more trendy, youthful and vibrant, Ocala is more rural farm town. You really can't go wrong with either.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey7beard View Post
Gainesville for me, obviously, but I'd be happy in either city. I like being as far north in Florida as possible and this gains a tad. I like the friendly educated atmosphere. I see Gainesville as being a bit more trendy, youthful and vibrant, Ocala is more rural farm town. You really can't go wrong with either.
Rural farm town sounds good. Any reliable realtors you would recommend in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala