Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2007, 11:11 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I have a brother in orlando and have only been in and around the orlando area. Me and wife are researching the area and are looking at homes. would like a newer 4br 2ba 2000+sf w/screened in pool patio area for 300k+/- with reasonable taxes and ins.

Because of prices of Longwood and altmontesprings ect I was told to look at lake mary area. We are now considering Ocala area. Its a bit further out but we still want to be near a city. Any one ahve some ideas or the pro's and con's of Ocala.

Thanx.

P.S. have children so schools are important. We were told to stay in Lake brantly schools dist of possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 04:06 PM

555 posts, read 2,211,852 times
Maybe you should consider the Eustis/Mt.Dora area. It is about 35 minutes from Lake Mary, but home prices are cheaper in this area. We have a house in our neighborhood exactly like you described about 6 years old for 275K in Eustis. Eustis elementary Schools and Middle school are pretty good. Eustis High is OK. A lot of the rural areas around Eustis are zoned for Eustis schools so it has a small town feel to it. I love living in this area because we are about 18 minutes to the 429 beltway. We can be at Disney in 45 minutes, I drive/Sea World in about 45 minutes, and the Orlando airport in less than an hour. Mt.Dora has a really nice downtown.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:24 AM

631 posts, read 2,451,219 times
Ocala is quite the drive to Orlando. I'd say about 90 miles? In Central Florida time that would be about 3 hours? lol

Old 06-08-2007, 02:32 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
wow 3hrs, thats good to know. I do not need to be near orlando necessarily. It's really the only area I am familiar with. Ocala looked interesting to me because of the national park, home prices, and it is a still a metropolitan area. i don't really have a desire to be in the sticks. Not my thing. I'll check out Eustis.

I Thought Mt dora was expensive?

Old 06-08-2007, 03:30 PM

157 posts, read 854,477 times
I've heard only good things about Ocala, big but not too big, affordable, a tad cooler, unsure about schools, I'm looking out that way
mt. dora is more expensive

Old 06-27-2007, 06:38 PM

18 posts, read 87,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Hi all. I have a brother in orlando and have only been in and around the orlando area. Me and wife are researching the area and are looking at homes. would like a newer 4br 2ba 2000+sf w/screened in pool patio area for 300k+/- with reasonable taxes and ins.

Because of prices of Longwood and altmontesprings ect I was told to look at lake mary area. We are now considering Ocala area. Its a bit further out but we still want to be near a city. Any one ahve some ideas or the pro's and con's of Ocala.

Thanx.

P.S. have children so schools are important. We were told to stay in Lake brantly schools dist of possible.
We also came from the Lake Brantly schools. The schools in Marion County are not that great from my experience. The State of Florida offers Free Tutoring to schools that are failing, or children who have free or reduced lunch. Also schools not showing progress. This takes in much of Marion county.
If you do decide to move here from your area. This is one big culture shock. Not much to do for the children. We had found a church that was great for our children and they love going. We were never church goers. We are now, for the children. It is a very slow paced atmosphere. But sometimes that is a good thing. Up here you need to be involved with what your children are doing. Just to make sure they are doing the right thing. There is too much open area and children can get into trouble just because they are bored. This is horse country and not to many lakes. It is important that you do not move close to the the Big city of Ocala,(it is really not big)go into the suburbs and stay away from Silver Springs and those surrounding areas. The Villages are excellent and schools are fantastic. I myself miss my lakes of Citrus County. Excellent schools and a wonderful area to raise the children. You can find a beautiful home for the price you are looking for up here. You need to take several weekends and come up here and investigate on your own. The Realtors are not going to tell you anything. They cannot. If you work in Orlando see if you want to make that drive. It is a long one. Time you can be spending with your children. Have you tried Mt Dora! Good luck to you one more thing. It is very hard to make a living up here. And believe it or not food and what nots or much more money up here.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:38 AM

6 posts, read 25,535 times
Hi flycessna,

I am also planning to move in the Ocala area and i am wondering if you have made you move yet ? if so how do you like Ocala ? is it a great place to live ?
I know the weather will be nice but what about the neighbourhoods ...is it safe and how are the schools down there? please let me know
any info would be helpful
thanks
reshma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala