Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:01 AM

83 posts, read 185,333 times

Advertisements

I am in California and want to move to Ohio, after reading and visiting the state. I have NOTHING against ANY race, I will make that clear. I am however, tired of all the problems of illegals and what they have done to a once nice town here. What is the feeling of most Ohioans on the issue? Being that Ohio isn't a border or near a border state I noticed you don't have the influx like we here in CA. Just curious! We are looking to a place in a country setting maybe with a good size town 10-20 miles away. And of course, low crime, nice people and recreational opportunities Thanks!

Old 06-17-2010, 09:30 AM

72 posts, read 115,245 times
Um....I don't know any Ohioans that are for illegal immigration. There might be differences in opinion on how best to curb the situation but being that it is illegal most are against it.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:56 AM

It's interesting. I thought of originally moving to Oregon. but it seems too liberal of a state for me and my freind. Also ran into alot of unfreindly people who just don't understand there IS a big problem with illegals. And it is an AG state. Ag loves illegals, cheap labor, but it's me and you who pay the real cost. I won't go into that, but I sure seemed like I was in America, I also loved the small towns and the people I met were very nice. We aren't totally conservative, but we lean more to that side of the coin. Thanks for the reply! Have a great day out there!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:46 AM

498 posts, read 1,507,418 times
the western part of the state has more people of your political leanings. a random farm town outside of cinci would probably be optimal for what you want.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:54 AM

Hi, I have thought about Cinci, columbus and Amish country rural areas. My best freind is a copier tech. I noticed there are some Ikon dealers around Ohio and that is where he needs to transfer to so he won't lose his benefits and hopefully the wage he gets here will be the same in Ohio.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:30 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,092 times
Ohio is pretty balanced politically, but that does not means it's competent. Although certainly not worse than California.

You will not find many illegals in Ohio. There is basically no Mexican population to speak of compared to the western states. Hispanics are only in a few areas and they are mostly from Puerto Rico. Coming from California you will notice that Ohio has a lot more working class white people (or black people in certain areas) that still do the work that immigrants are doing in California.

As far as towns go, there are decent small towns all over the state. There are also small towns that are very run-down and economically obsolete, so do your homework when looking for a place to settle.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Ohio is pretty balanced politically, but that does not means it's competent. Although certainly not worse than California.

You will not find many illegals in Ohio. There is basically no Mexican population to speak of compared to the western states. Hispanics are only in a few areas and they are mostly from Puerto Rico. Coming from California you will notice that Ohio has a lot more working class white people (or black people in certain areas) that still do the work that immigrants are doing in California.

As far as towns go, there are decent small towns all over the state. There are also small towns that are very run-down and economically obsolete, so do your homework when looking for a place to settle.
I don't think ANYPLACE in Ohio could be worse than California,lol! The cost of living in Salinas and most of Cali is 30-35% over the national average. I will research the areas. Been doing alot since my first trip to The Amish country and stayed in Dellroy last OCt. I kinda like that area. There is a Ikon dealer near there. Been looking at a rental in Wooster, a gorgeous log home for under $1300! You couldn't touch a cheesy run down 2 bedroom here in Salinas for that price! Thanks for the tips!

Old 06-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
You will not find many illegals in Ohio. There is basically no Mexican population to speak of compared to the western states. Hispanics are only in a few areas and they are mostly from Puerto Rico.
The last time I visited my hometown in Central Ohio, I saw Spanish-language magazines in the checkout line at the grocery store. I doubt the grocery store would put them there if there wasn't demand for them. There may be more recent immigrants than you think in Ohio.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:20 PM

What city or town were you in at that time?

Old 06-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotwine? View Post
What city or town were you in at that time?
Newark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio