Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,435 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I have a question and figured that you folks would be able to best answer it. Thanks in advance for any help.

I am planning on moving to Ohio to be closer to my family (my father's job recently had him relocate from out west). Anyway, due to poor vision I am unable to drive so where ever I move needs to have some sort of public transportation or at least decent sidewalks so I can walk around.

So city-data nation, what are some places in Ohio I should look into? If at all possible, I'd like to be in the northeastern part of the state, but I would be willing to check out any place that is recommended strongly.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 02:11 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
I'm also a non-driver due to poor vision. Your best bet, from everything I've read, would be the Cleveland area. But, if you study the transit system and choose your location carefully, any of Ohio's larger urban areas could probably suit your needs.

Here are some transit websites for NE Ohio.
Akron: METRO RTA...Not a Pain in the Gas!!!
Cleveland: Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
Canton/Massillon (Stark County) SARTA - Stark Area Regional Transit Authority - Canton, Ohio
Youngstown/Boardman (Mahoning County) WRTA - Western Reserve Transit Authority
Kent (Portage County) PARTA

Old 06-20-2010, 02:28 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I am glad to see two kindred spirits who do not drive. As I was being taken around Cleveland by friends, they told me I couldn't live there without a car and I should learn to drive. Yeah, right. At age 64 I am going to do that. I chose to live car-free all my life. Now I am also having sight problems and it wouldn't be safe.

I have managed to find a great neighborhood walking distance from everything I need in Portland and I am sure I can duplicate that elsewhere. Thanks for the information.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:00 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
Definitely look into Cleveland or some of the inner ring suburbs.

Cleveland: Ohio City, Tremont, Edgewater, Detroit-Shoreway.
Suburbs: Shaker Hts., Lakewood, University Hts.

Cleveland has the best public transportation system in the state that includes a rapid rail line and 2 light rail lines, along with the health line. There are also many neighborhoods in the area that are very walkable and you have nearly everything you need without walking distance.

This is a great tool to use to see how walkable any address is:
http://www.walkscore.com/

Old 06-21-2010, 11:02 PM

498 posts, read 1,507,334 times
based upon those demands, cleveland is the only option. sure, columbus and cinci have public transportation, but they are not as good as cleveland's. as far as the other cities in the northeast, unless you really truly only want some sort of transit system, with an emphasis on the 'some', the other systems will be relatively lacking. avoid youngstown at all costs.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
avoid youngstown at all costs.
lol!

Old 06-22-2010, 06:03 AM

458 posts, read 1,222,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
based upon those demands, cleveland is the only option. sure, columbus and cinci have public transportation, but they are not as good as cleveland's. as far as the other cities in the northeast, unless you really truly only want some sort of transit system, with an emphasis on the 'some', the other systems will be relatively lacking. avoid youngstown at all costs.

PARTA, which services portage county, has a very limited fixed route service. Unless you only want to go from Kent to Ravenna, I would avoid Portage county as well. They only run 6 days a week and only have 2 main lines. The best covered area is Kent State by the Campus Bus Service.

It is in the country, so there is not much to service anyway.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flee to the Cleve View Post
PARTA, which services portage county, has a very limited fixed route service. Unless you only want to go from Kent to Ravenna, I would avoid Portage county as well. They only run 6 days a week and only have 2 main lines. The best covered area is Kent State by the Campus Bus Service.

It is in the country, so there is not much to service anyway.
Yeah, I didn't think there was much to PARTA. I only provided the link because I knew there was a system present, and thought it would have some merit because of KSU.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:29 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
If you're looking for good public transportation around Cleveland you should stay in Cuyahoga County. I believe Summit County is okay, but I know that Lorain County has horrible public transportation now. The LCT (Lorain County Transit) was decent up til about 2 years ago but now they've completely stopped service except for 2 routes, I believe there was once 15 routes which went all around Elyria and Lorain. They were actually going to shut LCT down completely because they had no money but they got some to borrow which allowed them to keep 2 routes open. Even before that they shut down many routes and switched to show up every hour or 2, the same thing was done in parts of Cuyahoga County also but they've been able to keep most of them.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:52 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
I'd say it'd have to be Cleveland.....

Here's the train map (plus BRT Healthline): http://www.riderta.com/pdf/maps/System_Map_Rapid.pdf (broken link)
Here's the system map (includes buses): http://www.riderta.com/pdf/maps/System_Map_Main.pdf

Trains, Bus-Rapid Transit, Trolleys, and Buses: http://www.riderta.com/maps-schedule...hopperShuttles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio