U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:43 PM

621 posts, read 674,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phospho View Post
lol, my whole family is exactly like that... I can never understand how you guys tolerate the winter. I've never really experienced any other winter, and I still can't get used to it. It's funny though because I can't see myself living anywhere else but Ohio.
There are several reasons why I tolerate winter better than summer. I hate (I can't emphasize that word strongly enough) the humidity that is so common with Ohio summers. It's sticky (your clothes stick to you, your sheets stick to you)...it's uncomfortable...you sweat to death when you're outside for a few minutes...when you take a shower, you are drenching wet again 1 minute after drying off...the biting insects are annoying as hell...it's ugly as hell with all the overgrowth of weeds, bushes, and trees...the heat makes me feel sick at times...I can't stand the smell of fresh-cut grass...my allergies act up...everything stinks (as in smells putrid)...etc etc etc.

The ONLY things I like about summer are the smell of wild roses, and the sound of cicadas. That's it. Seriously.

Just curious...why do you like summer so much better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Are you saying all towns and cities of ohio are suburbs of Cleveland?
I think what WeSoHood is saying is that the suburbs of Cleveland are better than the ones you find anywhere else in Ohio.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:25 PM

3,357 posts, read 3,036,719 times
Quote:
IMO NO - more crime, lost jobs, closed factories....just because I'm from there I can face the truth, and it doesn't mean I'm bashing it.
You can "face the truth" from 3000 miles away and by a decade departed? The truth, as those of us who live in the city or within 10 miles of it, know it to be much different. Please don't attempt to insult us with cherry-picked statistics, hearsay, and half-truths. The economy and subsequent employment is down everywhere in the country while crime is up virtually everywhere. Yet, the Greater Cleveland Metropolitan Area still has a $125 billion GRP and a per capita income rate 10% above the US average. All the while, the cost of living here is about 90% of the US average. It's also one of the safest larger metros to live in. The factories closed years ago and Cleveland has been transforming its economy away from bulk manufacturing and towards more diverse, higher-tech areas (including high tech manufacturing). It has been a slow process but it's happening, regardless of what some nay-saying ex-pat and her yokel husband might think. But, with that, I truly hope you do stay where you are and wallow in your obvious ignorance. We have enough of your kind here already and most of us are actively trying to convince them to leave as quickly as they possibly can. Here's to hoping they all go to Alaska.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:08 PM

25,619 posts, read 32,446,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
I think what WeSoHood is saying is that the suburbs of Cleveland are better than the ones you find anywhere else in Ohio.
Yes, the open end of the > symbol means 'greater than'. Hey, there's one thing I learned in fourth grade math! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
The factories closed years ago and Cleveland has been transforming its economy away from bulk manufacturing and towards more diverse, higher-tech areas (including high tech manufacturing). It has been a slow process but it's happening
I lived in Cleveland in the early 80s when so many factories were shutting down. Tough times. Thanks for the good news -- Cleveland rocks!

Old 07-17-2010, 10:55 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,036,121 times
Quote:
OH you are such a genius--you made it to 4th grade?? You could have fooled me. Fools make it so easy to insult--don't reply, you are one of the mental midgets with blinders.

The burbs of Cleveland---he should have said 'better' NOT greater than.
Using < > is pretty common internet lingo. I never said 'greater than'. It can apply 'better'. Not sure why I'm even discussing this, it's a stupid debate.

Quote:
IMO NO - more crime, lost jobs, closed factories....just because I'm from there I can face the truth, and it doesn't mean I'm bashing it.
More crime? Actually, the Cleveland metro is the 10th safest:

Full List: America's Safest Cities - Forbes.com

This is the list of the safest cities in the country by metro area. There are more detailed statistics on the site, but they wouldn't paste over here correctly.

1. Minneapolis
2. Milwaukee
3. Portland, OR
4. Boston
4. Seattle
6. Providence
7. San Jose
8. New York City
9. Cincinnati
10. Cleveland
11. Denver
12. Detroit
13. San Diego
14. Phoenix
15. Chicago
15. Austin
15. Dallas
18. Pittsburgh
19. Los Angeles
20. Washington DC
21. Philadelphia
22. San Antonio
23. Atlanta
24. Sacramento
25. San Francisco
26. Baltimore
27. Virginia Beach
28. Tampa
29. Las Vegas
29. Columbus
31. Charlotte
32. Kansas City
32. Riverside, CA
34. St.Louis
35. Orlando
36. Indianapolis
37. Nashville
38. Houston
39. Jacksonville
40. Miami

Closed factories? :

Cleveland is NOT a manufacturing based economy anymore. In the 80s, manufacturing jobs contributed to about 30% of all occupations, now? It's around 12%.

I'm not sure why people still think that. Cleveland is healthcare, headquarters, scientific and technical services, biomedical, etc.

Team NEO report indicates diversifying industries positively impacting Cleveland Plus

Lost jobs? The region actually has a lower unemployment than the national average.

Unemployment in most Northeast Ohio counties down from same time a year ago | cleveland.com
Cleveland Plus Quarter Regional Economic Reviews of Northeast Ohio, including Akrong, Canton, Cleveland and Youngstown

So again, maybe you should take what I posted and know the REAL truth. It's sad, because this the 2nd or 3rd time I've posted this information.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:37 AM

3,357 posts, read 3,036,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
So again, maybe you should take what I posted and know the REAL truth. It's sad, because this the 2nd or 3rd time I've posted this information.
C'mon now!! This information is factual. That would decimate her argument and she simply can't be having any of that!

Old 07-19-2010, 03:34 AM

53 posts, read 183,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post

Just curious...why do you like summer so much better?

hmm, I don't really know for sure. I think it's mostly the sun. We have so much overcast throughout the year, and it's just refreshing to see the sun a bit more during the summer. I've noticed I'm in an overall better mood. Just yesterday my mom was like "you've been happier these days, is everything ok?". I think it's because of the weather.

I also tend to stay home more often during the winter. So during the summer I get out a lot more. That definitely puts me in a better mood. I love hiking, so I've been spending quite a bit of time outdoors. Getting out of the house seems to be quite uplifting if you were to ask me.

I'm with you on the humidity though. It took me about 30 seconds earlier today to get sweaty after my shower

Old 07-19-2010, 12:26 PM

621 posts, read 674,400 times
Quote:
hmm, I don't really know for sure. I think it's mostly the sun. We have so much overcast throughout the year, and it's just refreshing to see the sun a bit more during the summer. I've noticed I'm in an overall better mood. Just yesterday my mom was like "you've been happier these days, is everything ok?". I think it's because of the weather.
I would probably appreciate summer more if I were able to escape the heat and humidity better than I can right now. For the past 20 years, I've lived in places that either didn't have air conditioning, or the people I was living with didn't like to run it much. So I would have to put up with being hot and sticky inside the house. I'm not an absolute die hard summer hater, because there are times when I think it's nice...but just not here in Ohio. Ugh.

Quote:
I also tend to stay home more often during the winter. So during the summer I get out a lot more. That definitely puts me in a better mood. I love hiking, so I've been spending quite a bit of time outdoors. Getting out of the house seems to be quite uplifting if you were to ask me.
Oh, I absolutely agree with you on that. It's funny you would say that, because I just recently commented to my mom that I feel so much more relaxed when I get out of the house where I can clear my head.

I also love to hike...well, that is when my hip, legs, and lower back aren't arguing with me about it. So it's nice to get out and do that...for me, preferably when the temps are in the 70s, not this muggy stuff in the 90s that we've been dealing with all summer so far. I like to get out and take pictures of different things. Have you ever been to Clifton Gorge in John Bryan State Park? Awesome place to go hiking...especially in Fall when it's cooler and the trees are all in color.

Quote:
I'm with you on the humidity though. It took me about 30 seconds earlier today to get sweaty after my shower
Yep, I feel your pain. Even standing in front of a fan doesn't help much at times.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:36 PM

245 posts, read 305,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan58 View Post
First, I am not a Native Ohioian, but my wife is, I am origanally from NYC. After we got married we decided we both hated where we came from and would give Alaska a try. Well, ten years later she wants us to live in Ohio, to be close to family. Needless to say I am not what you would call thrilled about this idea. We spent a few months last year in a rural area in eastern Ohio (Carroll County). It was a disaster, I would rather live in a third world country then there again. We also spent time in Cleveland, no thanks to there either. It has all the problems of a city, with none of the charm or advantages of one.
Well, my question is, can anyone recommend an area of Ohio that is liveable?
Ohio is not that bad.
I live 12 miles from the Ohio state line and I travel over there frequently.

At this time,however, the economy statewide there is very poor.
If you don't have a profession or a job in advance of moving there,you might have a difficult time at the start.

What I see as being an issue is your wife wanting to move home in difficult economic times and w/ your have expressed concerns about moving.
Alaska is a long way from Ohio,but at least there are some jobs there.

If your wife is going to make not returning to Ohio into a deal breaker,then I would suggest immediate counseling. If she isn't interested in going,you should go yourself and start getting ready for what will come next in your marriage.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:53 PM

12,546 posts, read 18,459,698 times
Thread has been cleaned up. I will read back through it tomorrow to make sure it makes sense. I think that this thread has run its' course. Thread closed.

Last edited by Beretta; 07-19-2010 at 10:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio