Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 02:51 PM

83 posts, read 266,197 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving lock, stock, and barrel from Vermont (land of cheddar cheese, maple syrup, moose plops and no work or industry,) to the booming Marcellus Shale Gas drilling region around Houston, Pa. It's strictly a work/career related decision and I was wondering if anyone can help me in deciding which would be the better of the 3 states to reside in.

Pa., I'm sensing has a higher tax base, more stringent regulations, etc.
Ohio is an option, although I know little to nothing about Ohio life. If I did consider Ohio, it would be around the Stubenville area, close to well drilling in Houston, Pa.

Finally, West (By God) Virginia. I would consider the upper panhandle around Weirton, or down around Dallas Pike, Moundsville, Wheeling area.
The focus is to stay within a 30 mile radius of Houston, Pa. for work.

Anyone have any good, solid advice on which state would be the better of the 3 in which to move to and spend the rest of our adult life in? Jobs for myself (although I am not worried about me,) but mostly for my wife, 16 yr. old daughter and 21 yr. old son who is also capable of landing work fairly easily.

My main concerns would be: Lowest property tax costs.
Excise taxes on vehicles (don't have 'em in Vt.)
Property values, rental costs, just basic cost of living expenses in comparison to the 3 states mentioned...

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by LowboyTZ; 07-24-2010 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,094 times
Default Furnished housing near Weirton Medical Center

I am looking for furnished housing within 30 miles of Weirton Medical Center in Weirton, West Virginia. I am a traveling nurse on a 13 week assignment. I need 2 BR, prefer 2 BA as I have a friend traveling with me. Need washer/dryer, full kitchen, utilities included, any extra amenities a bonus.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,797 times
Bumping this as I need the same info. Moving (back) to the Tri-State Area in a few months and have the same questions as the OP! Thanks!

Old 05-18-2011, 08:52 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Porter View Post
Bumping this as I need the same info. Moving (back) to the Tri-State Area in a few months and have the same questions as the OP! Thanks!
If it were me moving to this region as an outsider b/c of a job...I'd lean towards the western suburbs of Pittsburgh that has easy access to US-22. Although you are familiar (I assume you are from the area since you say moving back) w/the region so you may fit in better in either Steubenville or Weirton, but both cities have really gone downhill the past few decades. Wintersville to the west may not be a bad option either, guess it depends what you want - small town or big city amenities.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:14 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times
Weirton may have gone downhill but it looks to me to be going back uphill, has a ways to go it is true but definately moving in the right direction.

We are from MA and were living in CA for a couple years due to DH's work and while there I was looking for a home to retire to. The area I was concentrating on was MD, WV, VA, PA area.

I found the homes in Weirton to be supper inexpensive and extremely low Prop. taxes. My MA home I pay about $3500 a year in tax. Anyway without ever going there except husband went on one day trip to buy the house I had found online, we did buy it, taxes on it are under $300 a year.
It is a brick Foursquare with 5 bedrooms and 2.5 baths full cellar and brick 2 car garage. Got it for $36K.

We have made a few trips there so far and all the people are very friendly. There is shopping and medical facilities in the area within 5 miles tops, plus it is 25 min to PIT airport and about 1/2 hour to Pittsburgh
There are good town facilities, library community center banks post office and grocery are all within walking distance of our house there.

They just filmed the movie Super 8 there, they have lots of community activities etc. and are constantly striving to clean up and improve the town.

I think it is a wonderful place to retire.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:15 PM

86 posts, read 72,126 times
Curious about Wintersville vs Wheeling with amenities, population, cost of living, crime, traffic....thanks!

Old 09-12-2020, 10:18 AM

527 posts, read 319,956 times
Quote:
Curious about Wintersville vs Wheeling with amenities, population, cost of living, crime, traffic....thanks!

I see you posted this earlier in the summer, but if it still matters, Wintersville is a suburb of Steubenville. It's not a city. The comparison would be Steubenville vs Wheeling.

Neither have traffic. These are small places. Both struggle economically, but Steubenville has easy access to Pittsburgh, especially the western suburbs and airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: