Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 05:00 PM

219 posts, read 893,904 times

Advertisements

Tax rates are very high in Ohio. You'd find similar rates in Wisconsin, Texas, New York, and some other states. Most Southern states have much lower taxes. You really can't escape high tax rates in Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 03:05 PM

4 posts, read 15,497 times
We are hoping to accept employement at Wright Patt too. 2 young kids, can afford up to 300K for house. Which is the best?
-Centerville
-Beavercreek
-Bellbrook
-Springboro
Especially concerned about staying away from crime and any drugs/gang activity at high schools.
Thanks in advance for any info!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-06-2007, 04:20 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,539 times
You could send your kid to Dayton Christian or to Alter, the suburban Catholic school.

Then it wouldnt matter were you live, and zero worrys about drugs and gangs.

But if you are WPAFB, neearly all the WPAFB people live in Beavercreek, and you should, too!

Old 11-06-2007, 04:35 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,881 times
In line for the best place to live while working at WPAFB:
-Beavercreek
-Centerville
-Bellbrook
-Springboro

As far as schools go, Centerville probably has the best of the four with the other three tied for second. Bellbrook (Sugarcreek Local Schools) is the smallest of the four if size matters. All have growth issues, meaning that there is overcrowding which tends to be a good sign as long as the community supports new construction.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:58 PM

3 posts, read 7,813 times
Well OK all you Beavercreeker's, I'm in the Burbs, north of Dayton, near the airport. Close to everything and almost no crime at all. Bigger yards, more privacy, and one of th highest rated school systems in 5 Counties! Housing from the $60's to the Millions and everywhere in between. Friendly people, close to I75 & I70 and pretty quick to wright Pat. , without the traffic, and never any "out of water" problems. Although I believe Beavercreek may have that issue solved nowadays. Still, the Vandalia/Englewood area, especially outside of both, offer a wonderful environment at, I believe, a substantially lower Tax rate. Good Luck! John R

Old 11-06-2007, 05:19 PM

PS... I just checked... I'm paying $1,215.02 a year on a $125,000 home in Butler Twp. That's pretty near half of Centerville & Beavercreek! Property values rise at appox. the same levels, so that's a wash. And did I mention we have almost NO crime and NO traffic Jams? Beavercreek & Centerville are nice though if you like going to the Malls every day. I mean it takes me 20 minutes to get to one of their Malls. But I never have to go because there's almost everything within 10 minutes of where I live. It is about 8 miles furthr than Beavrcreek to the Base though, but then again It's a fast 8 miles cause it's straight up I70.... and a lot less traffic!

Old 11-06-2007, 05:22 PM

PSS... I should add that my property includes 1.5 acres of which 4/5 is wooded with a stream. I cut down a couple of tree's every year.... cause I heat my house with it for free.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:22 PM

4 posts, read 15,497 times
What school system is it?

Old 11-06-2007, 07:59 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,881 times
Vandalia is part of the Vandalia-Butler school district. Englewood is a part of Northmont Schools (includes Englewood, Clayton, and Union). Both are respectable districts again on the same level as Springboro/Beavercreek/Sugarcreek. While there is no official rivalry, I believe many would say that there is a difference in personality between the north and south/east suburbs. If you do look north, also check out Tipp City. Again with the good schools, little to no crime/drugs.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:07 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
I've seen places on the internet in Vandalia that definately spark my interest. (I'm a recent move to WPAFB'er renting) but......I just don't like the idea of taking I-70 everyday. Don't really like highway driving to begin with then I70 has tons of trucks and perpetual construction with narrow lanes made with cement barriers - I just can't quite get past that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio