Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:25 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times

Advertisements

I'll leave the thread to you then... So far the worst issues we've had with Ryan is that it has been too rainy for them to grade.

I KNOW the electrical was done right - because I took pictures every day and know where the wire was run, how it was hooked up. Same with the plumbing. Same with the insulation.

I know the framing was done well enough because my husband, myself, and my brother all looked at the home throughout the framing stage (taking pictures and videos) and my brother ( a home inspector ) said they were doing things properly.

Now - do I claim its the best built house in America? No. It is a mid-priced upper end tract home. That is what I paid for, and what I got.

I also fully support your statement that Ryan is out to make a buck. Of course they are - they are a large national company.

I just do not support your statement that every house they build is crap - which seems to be what you are implying.

Will we have to deal with them on small minor annoying isssues (broken window trim we didn't find until after we moved in, crack in our driveway, etc..). Yes. They may or may not be pleasant to deal with, I don't know yet. But as far as major structural or safety violations - my house doesn't have them. Sorry that yours do.

I also would bet that for any national builder you will be able to find people that suffered the same types of horror stories as you did. Even a perfectly average builder can hire corrupt individuals.

Good luck to all, Ryan home or otherwise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 11:46 PM

18 posts, read 128,568 times
Well If I had it to do over again I would have one built in a factory. Where I could sit in a nice chair (Maybe) bring my cooler and snacks and watch my house be built on an assembly line. Now some factory built homes are just a glorified trailer and some are fantastic. We found one of those in Indiana and I really wish we had gone that way. I wouldn't have nearly the misery I have now... Oh found out tonight that they put siding over the outside wall (homasote) ..(sp?) I just call it CRAP. So now I have to take off the siding and replace the wall with OSB before some animal moves in!
I am living in HELLS KITCHEN!!! I am going to call the county inspectors office and find out who was working back in 1979. Then I am going to look them up in the phone book and see if they are still alive. THEN I am going to give them a call and ask how much money he got in pay offs to look the other way! I am sure it put his kids through college.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:56 AM

30 posts, read 257,152 times
Default Sorry to hear

I'm afraid if I put web links on here they'll get deleted. Type Ryan Homes, or Ryan Homes defects in most any major search engine, and the site is usually on the first page or it will be a number 1 hit in the latter search example titled 'Ryan Homes defects and damages 1-14'

I don't have a blog page. I had been sent so many viruses through the site, and once the site was crippled by spam overloading the server, that I don't feel comfortable managing an open forum. To just vent might be better on HOBB forums, as that's what they are designed for, though I would gladly set up your own page(s) on my site if you feel a need to go that far. I'm also making bumper stickers with my site's name if you want one, no charge of course. We can work either option out through PM if you really want.

Again, sorry about your home's problems. Thank God we still have free speech, mostly. As we seemingly become the Incorporated States of America, even that is being threatened. Sorry, this drifted so far off the Incentives topic, but that's pretty well covered in this thread.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:29 PM

18 posts, read 128,568 times
Well this week I am taking bids on a new back wall for the house. We replaced about 8 ft of sill plate due to termites. Seems they put the treated lumber floor joists on the second floor and the untreated ones on the first floor!!! IDIOTS !!!! Not sure how much damage is done. The Homasote board they used for outside walls is deteriorating and I am going to have to get it replaced with OSB. We have found drains that are draining up hill...all the wiring looks like it was done by a blind monkey (monkey could have probably done better job) Oh and they sided over the attic vents for the garage and now I have rotten ceiling joists in the garage. However this could also be caused by them only putting TWO downspouts on the house. When we get a lot of rain it comes off the house roof to the garage roof and then down another trough and then the downspout. Those all have to be redone too. Today we went to my parents home (they are both deceased too) and stripped it of anything that could go to the recycling place. I am hoping to get enough cash to help pay for the damage at my house. My parents house will be torn down by a developer. But I must say it was built by my father and mother, daddy did everything by hand even dug the foundation with a shovel. As bad as the house is it is STILL made better than the one I am currently living in. It is really sad that American companies can't take pride in their work. Build a quality product and sell it for a reasonable price.
Ryan Inc should be ashamed of themselves for bilking the public into thinking that they actually have a quality product. Yes these days they may have more bells and whistles like granite counter tops or tile floors but it is the guts of a house that count and when you count every nail and board and hire people that only have rudimentary carpentry skills you are not giving the public a quality product.

Like I said before if I were building a new home I would have it done in a factory. I found a really good one in Indiana and they actually made a house not a glorified trailer.

Oh and to the original poster.... You really don't want to move to Brimtucky (as the locals call it) I drive past that new development all the time ... I don't see a quality product going up.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:15 PM

8 posts, read 41,207 times
Thumbs up THeyre great!

We built a Ryan home in Concord ohio, and we love it! It is about 2 years old and it still looks great! the development is in really good shape! We have many incentives. we recieved a morning room and our neighbors recieved $20,000 in upgrades.. I would definantly go with Ryan!!!!

Old 07-19-2008, 05:24 PM

Post Dissatisfied with criminal negligence

We all know people are happy with Ryan Homes. They spend millions making sure we know that in a variety of ways. If we just had a shoddy built home, I would just not buy from the again or recommend them, not write a whole book about the experience and the system failures that will allow it to continue to happen.

Ryan Homes was guilty of criminal negligence, not just shoddy work. It's documented and undisputed. They destroyed our home and health through negligence. The home was made uninhabitable from negligence. Ryan Homes was made fully aware through documented proof while the home was under warranty.

Ryan Homes reply: even if we "found" (while looking at documented proof) we were guilty of any mistakes in the home's construction we will take no action to correct any issues caused by building errors. They advised us to abandon the defective home, as per our doctor's advise. They otherwise were not helpful, apologetic, remorseful, or concerned about the harm they caused in any way beyond their legal position and cost avoidance.

Whoever said crime doesn't pay doesn't know Ryan Homes.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:28 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,375,220 times
once again I will advise everyone to steer away from ryan homes.......they are bottom of the line homes they hire anyone who can hold (not pound a nail but) hold a hammer, if you are happy with your ryan home you dont know to much about construction,they dont cut corners (they dont know how to operate the saws)
just remember when the doors dont shut and your drywall cracks and all the molding starts gaping you were warned oh yeah they will tell you that its just the house settling and its normal

Old 08-27-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c dubb View Post
rrjackson. Although i understand your point, that statement was not completely false. what is false is that ,(as you said) they build a good home by an "incidental byproduct". If that were the case and most of their homes were poorly constructed they would be out of business. Sounds like you have a personal vendetta.
It seems you are arguing that Ryan Homes doesn't build homes with "profit first thinking," when in fact they do. Certainly in that goal if most homes were defective, Ryan Homes would go bankrupt again. That's American business 101. My stating that is their first motivation does not imply that by default they only build junk, or that most of their homes would be defective by default.

Considering their many successes, simply giving them a glowing recommendation and dismissing or even censoring bad experiences is not fair to those who want a complete prospective of their purchase decision. Nor does it help buyers to protect that decision if already in progress. Unless this is a builder advertising forum, and that side is to be excluded, it seems the bad and good deserve to be heard equally.

They still create Ryanhomesnightmares that can be devastating to buyers, and it would be unfair to exclude that possibility does still exist to prospective buyers, so they can make fully informed decisions for consumer protection, that lies heavily on the consumer.

Conscientious consumers do searches to learn both the downsides as well as the positives, perhaps not knowing downside can be censored in many places. I know I do in depth research, and I take both sides into account. Since I'm severely harmed by Ryan Homes, I have a website that generated many complaints as calls and letters, my side in this instance is just not promotional. I DO NOT want people to share my experience, and when asked directly for help, I sincerely try to help people work things out with Ryan Homes, I don't simply bash RH, which would not be helpful to victims.

I get nothing for warning others of possible risks, accept maybe I can stop the complaint letters from coming to my site, and the calls. Those are now very few, which is gratifying, because once people realized they had already messed up and contacted me, their was little I could do but offer empathy. They were stuck.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 6,891 times
Cool Ryan Homes A Name You Can Definitely Not Trust! Our True Experience No Theoretics Here

Ryan Homes a Name You Cannot trust! For far too long I have waited in the wings while my Significant Other, has posted technical details of our Builder’s defect, a home built by Ryan homes. I have never stepped up to the limelight to expose the emotional devastations of what living through this is like.

I thought it would consume me, but watching Ryan feast on their wealth with no regard for the lives of those that trusted them to build them a safe secure home, this is an insidious injustice that simply mustn't be allowed to continue to families all around the United States.

This is not some hypothetical of what it would be like, this is what really happened in our lives as a direct result of Ryan Homes building me a home with a hidden defect that would eventually develop into 7 different kinds of toxic molds, and usher in illness, financial devastation and losses to this day, we are far from recovery. Some parts our lives now just gone, lost in the aftermath forever.

Those happy with their current Ryan Homes, God Bless you, count your blessings, but don’t even bother to comment to me about complaining. This is not about complaining. This is about culpability and reckless abandonment from a Builder my Father entrusted right before we lost him unexpectedly, to build me my first home, so he would have peace of mind that I would have a home if anything should happen to him.

An Honored American Veteran who served our country in Wars, and worked in Washington in the Intelligence of the Pentagon. He passed away just a few weeks before the construction was completed. I thought this was one grace, this place, this builder, this haven. I had no clue the nightmare Ryan would deliver in it’s wake.

I even called them, sent packages of pictures the defect had resulted in, only to be told that they were so wealthy, with a large team of multi billion dollar Lawyers, that I could just try and see if I could do anything to them. No offers for assistance. Just a corrupt Home builder conglomerate hoarding their riches, their greed for wealth, no conscious reaching for more, turning a deliberate blind eye to the defective homes, and lives left to recover from ruins anyway they could find without their assistance.

My home insurance company at the time, said because of the defect in the construction of the home, they had no obligations to intervene, 3 renovations later with no assistance we sit in the aftermath of once a financially secure, debt free life, still sorting through boxes of stuff from a temporary apt we had to rent being so ill being exposed to toxins the defect introduced. We did all of the renovations by ourselves with masks on, no one helped. Now being back in our home, we are in prayer and starting to analyze how to start over, it’s not like we are in our twenties anymore.

Negligent Home Builders need to be accountable! I am sure there are some authentic and honest earnest Builders out there, but Ryan can't fit those shoes. It’s reprehensible that they get to live lives of wealth and jett setting, and we are left to unscramble the rubix cube our lives have become from buying a Home from them.

Ryan Homes a name you can trust- that’s their slogan- yeah well I did, and my life will never be the same. Our website has details and pics for those interested, just type Ryan Homes into your search engine and you will see our site on our nightmare in recovery.
Carmen Wright

Last edited by Carmen Wright; 08-27-2008 at 03:55 PM..

Old 02-19-2009, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 6,499 times
Default Maybe you should have had the home inspected before you purchased it.

Maybe you should have had the home inspected before you purchased it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widow in Toledo View Post
We purchased our Ryan seven years ago, I believe we are the 3rd owner.
Included in the purchase price was a new roof. (stay tuned it gets better)
The house was built in 1979 before Ryan was run out on a rail (I am assuming)
I have a 3 bedroom, two story, 1 1/2 bath, full basement. Lets start with the roof. Contractor pulled off the shingles to find 4 yes FOUR nails in EACH 4x8 sheet of plywood. He said the only thing holding the wood on was the weight of the shingles, since most of the nails weren't in a stud. Down spouts 2 yes TWO down spouts for the ENTIRE house. Inspector said that with just 1 inch of rain there would be = to 1000 gallons of water per minute draining out of them. Siding...A nail every 4 to 5 feet if you were lucky..NO nails unless it was a fluke in the studs. You could take the siding at the bottom and whip it off the house in one pull.. Windows..piece o crap is all you can say.... we replaced those first year we lived here. Front door...about 2 years after we moved it it started to rot.. come to find out they attached the fancy top after they put on the siding (to lazy to use flat siding behind it. No caulk so rotted door frame. Front steps caved in, all they were made of was cement block frame and then they filled the hole in with sand. Bath room.. went to replace the vanity/sink... someone was just lazy and cut a hole in the wall to slide the counter top into the drywall rather than cut the counter top to fit.
Currently we are ripping out the kitchen..and the piece o crap built on site kitchen cabinets. I didn't check these before I bought because previous owner had them refaced...they looked new! Dumb Dumb ME!!
I took out a foot of wall in the galley style kitchen that was supposed to fit a washer and dryer...why you would want one of those in your kitchen??? We pulled out the counter in the corner and guess what!! 2 inches bigger so they shoved it in the wall to hide rather than cutting to size.. apparently their motto was don't measure cut once?? We tore out the saufet(sp?) to find all the electrical laying in there oh and they ran a basement hot water tank 220 line from basement up to the second floor across the second floor joist ABOVE the kitchen ceiling then back down the kitchen wall to the basement (where it started from) down the wall back to the breaker box. Had they run it along the first floor joist to the breaker box it would have taken about 4 ft of wire instead of 50. I understand that back in the 70's and probably still today they offer the buyer A - B - C choices A being highest quality and C being lowest..
Dummy me thought my brother in laws house (another Ryan) just fell apart because they are pigs...guess not! I am also replacing the sliding glass door because the water flying off the house into the down spout on the garage is creating a tidal wave that runs across the window .. this has caused the door to leak ..
The house was a "show" house so we figured it was built better than the others simply because they were trying to snag the people who have no clue...WRONG turns out they are a equal opportunity rip off company.

Oh and now we should probably discuss the wiring that isn't code..my BF has a electrical engineering degree and said there is no way in H..l this house should have passed inspection. My kitchen remodel is turning into that house in the movie "Money Pit" !!!!!

I would never recommend buying one of their homes either from the 70's or now. I can't believe they are STILL in business!!! Do you think they might have old floor plans ?? I tried to get them from the county but they only keep them 10 years. We are currently trying to figure out why I have a drain running out of the first floor ceiling down to the basement to the soil pipe. No plumbing what so ever in that part of the house unless they put that there in case someone wanted a bathroom sink in the master bedroom ?? Which I think was an option since the upstairs bath has 2 doors one off the master and one off the hall ??? If anyone knows how to get blue prints I would love to find ones to my house. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio