Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 06:27 PM

12 posts, read 26,337 times

Advertisements

I just recieved my paperwork today for my transfer to Lordstown. I have to let them know by Monday Oct 18 if I'm going to go or not. I have been reading some of the old threads and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for a town like Mayberry...you know the Andy Griffith Show? What I mean by that is a small town atmosphere but I'm looking for a house out in the country. I would like something with a minimum of 2 acres but I'm looking for excellent schools. Hopefully somewhere like that exists, lol. I have family and friends in the Columbus area so is their a town/area like that South or SW of the plant? That way my drive to visit them isn't as far?

Also, I own my house here so I wouldn't mind an owner finance/lease-rent to own type of thing. The reason I'm looking into this option is because I have 2 Great Danes and I know renting will be hard with them. Anyone have any ideas on places for me to look or actually know of a place for rent/lease/to sell type of thing?

I have 2 kids (elementary school and high school) 2 Great Danes and a indoor only cat. Oh and something else my husband works for Lowes. He can transfer to any as long as theirs an opening so somewhere that will work for us all.

I hope that doesn't sound like too much but any information will help.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 08:52 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,887,189 times
Sounds like SRF will have to help you out with this one. Good luck with what ever decision you make and if you choose Lordstown I'll be the first here to say welcome to the Mahoning Valley.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:55 PM

Thank you for the welcome! I hope to find something that will allow us to go.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:01 PM

It maybe hard with the 2 big dogs, but i'm sure you can find someone who is willing to negotiate with you. Maybe you can find someone out in the country that's already moved and hard up to sell or rent.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:02 PM

I have been searching, calling around and asking questions and still have no idea. So, I'm trying to come up with a plan B. What if the kids stay here with my husband and I just go? That way I can look around and see what's available. Can you recommend anyplace to stay? The location doesn't really matter. I would just want something thats safe, cheap, clean and that doesn't have a long term lease, maybe something month to month? A 1 or 2 bedroom is fine since it will be short term until I can find another place. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:04 PM

Oh and while I'm asking what do you know about Newton Falls (i.e. schools, safety, property taxes..overall information)? Thanks again.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:42 AM

I'm not sure where you can find a short term rental, that might be a tough one. You might be right though, maybe come out and try and find something yourself, then move the family. I know a lot of people that work at GM have rentals, so maybe once you get here you can network and find a place.

Newton Falls is a small town. Downtown is pretty walkable and the rest of it is pretty rural. I've been there a number of times for sporting events and family reunions, but i really don't have that much information on the place. Housing seems very affordable and while the schools arent' ranked Excellent by the state of Ohio i would say they are certainly good and effective. Depending where you are coming from will determine how high or low the property taxes are. Being that housing is pretty cheap there i would guess they aren't too bad.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:41 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,658,058 times
I think Salem, and the surrounding area would fit the bill. There is a Lowe's in Alliance about 10 miles away. The other Lowe's is in Boardman. See what you can find in the Salem paper. MorningJournalNews.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Lisbon, Ohio - The Morning Journal

The easiest way to search is by school district not by address. Our zip code is 44460

Old 10-14-2010, 12:41 PM

There is also a Lowe's in Howland/Warren/Niles (the building is in Warren, frontage in Howland and many people think that since it's near the Eastwood Mall it's in Niles).

Old 10-14-2010, 01:00 PM

Thank you both for the input. I'll start researching more today. If you think of anything else in regards to plan B as far as places to stay please let me know. Thanks again you've been very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio