U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 07:35 AM

976 posts, read 2,563,653 times
Default Columbiana, Ohio

Does anyone know anything about this town other than it is growing rapidly, its got crazy sprawl, and its south of Youngstown? I know the Shaker Woods Festival is held there, but i want to know more about this growing little town. Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 01:25 AM

3,021 posts, read 15,692,716 times
My sister lives there and I have been up to visit her quite a few times since I got back to Ohio.

The "Growth" may not be all it appears. In fact it probably is more driven by the real estate speculation market than anything else. Apparently the availability of land fueled most of it. Targeted toward fancy condos, townhouses and McMansions geared toward a commuting class mostly headed for the Pittsburg area. There is still quite a bit of farm land available for the right price.

The road network in the area makes it all possible. My brother-in-law does it, way up into PA each day, all freeway.

The town is well situated and has many of the goodies and services folks desire. A lot of people moved there from Jefferson county, we know a lot of them. It was the combination of jobs, shopping and desirable living conditions.

My feeling is it may have started to destroy what everybody wanted. All those strip malls, the traffic is getting worse. My sister says the "Building Boom" is way over done. Lots of fancy houses with increasing fewer buyers. Real estate prices have been under pressure. To my tastes, it was way too expensive for what you got for a town in Ohio. Taxes were also a bit pricy. They broke things up so you paid the school taxes seperate.

Town has a very good cultural feel to it. But the business district has been in decline for quite a while. Some problems with the tax base. Many of the more industrial type companies have left, the schools are starting to feel the pinch.

Apparently one of the better school systems around. Lots of activities sponsored by the town, churches, businesses, etc. In general I always enjoy my visits there.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:58 PM

^ I really like Columbiana. Its a very nice little growing town. I know that they are in the planning of keeping business in their downtown area. I really like thier historical downtown with the circle in the middle of main street. I talked to a lot of people that had moved there from Pennsylvania and Michigan. I would have to say that the mainstreet is just about perfect for a town of its size. And the neighborhoods were really nice. I just hate to see some of the sprawl going on. And the park there, Firestone Park was awesome. Very nice lake in the middle, and a nice public pool. Columbiana is a very nice little town.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:39 PM

3,021 posts, read 15,692,716 times
Thank you Paintballer for those comments.

I would add some clarity. There is no downtown business district as one would normally understand it. It is a bit of an illusion they do extremely well. In fact the opposite is true, all the true business has gone to the strip malls.

What you see in the downtown areas is a bit of a tourist trap. Not my opinion, I rely on the real experts. I have had the real tour in very skilled hands. Those hands know every nook and cranny and where you can get anything at the best bargain. Including for free. I have had the truck pretty well loaded at times. Can even order it on demand. Bedroom set, totally free, had to wait 3 long weeks. Simple instructions, when you want it, call. Rather amazing.

The illusion is so good they even still have an operating movie theater.

Lord it is yard sale Heaven if you understand the details and know how to maneuver. Best to let the experts drive.

More is at work than most imagine. There is a collection of people who represent a brain drain from so many areas. Like minded folks, but with a sense of roots. What pulses in that undertow are people that are connected by something. Helps if you have the right CAT cables.

If you have some free time go check out the library. Woof, even open on Sundays. Do the free coffee and cookies too.

It is all about being connected just right. I will always do Thanksgiving in Columbiana. Sort of plug and play.

I just hope they keep it exactly as it is. My fears, things are changing.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:00 PM

^ LOL that is so true about the Main Street. It is a tourist trap. I see so many from Pennsylvania there. Just like Shaker Woods. That huge festival with little wooden shops set up in the woods. Columbiana is a growing little town, city now. With so many housing developments going up. The park is awesome like i said. I took another visit to Firestone Park and they added two more lakes and walking and bike trails. But with this new expansion to the park i saw new housing developments going up back in the woods. I would have to say though that i like the new ones going up around Arrowhead Lake. They have very nice homes right on the lakefront with some smaller man-made ponds with fountains in them. Its a growing town, but it still has that small town feel. Even with all the people from Pittsburgh coming in.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:44 AM

1,856 posts, read 5,555,776 times
Bumped to the top for Victour

Old 01-23-2007, 02:35 PM

12 posts, read 52,430 times
My DH and I chose to move to the area (although we live in Fairfield Township just outside Columbiana) ten years ago.

We came for the affordable housing and good schools for a rural area (we wanted "rural" and unfortunately "rural" and "good schools" don't play well together often).

As cliche' as it is - Columbiana really does have that Mayberry feel.

Otherwise, all cautions about the sprawl and population growth and school are very, very true.

Columbiana is going to end up being the next mid-sized strip-malled (mauled) into obscurity little nowhere that people blow through on their way to anyplace else if they aren't careful.

That said, Columbiana has an awesome sense of community and my impression is that those people will do whatever it takes to keep that community thriving.

Columbiana and the outlying areas are just wonderful. Good schools. Great access to areas of interest in every direction (an hour from both Pittsburgh and Cleveland with numerous stops between); good local shopping (Boardman); temperate weather (for Ohio anyway

Columbiana Ohio can and should be very proud. It's a nice place to live, work, and play. That Firestone Park is gorgeous and a real jewel in the crown of Columbiana. They have a small but beautiful public library that serves as the "town center" in many respects.

It's definitely a "family environment." Lots of parades and festivals and street fairs and gatherings. I can see it being duller than dirt for young "hip" folk - but for us 30-something child-rearing types - it's great.

Like I said, I don't live "in town" but I'm very impressed with Columbiana.

We would actually like to move back to NE Ohio (oh a whole hour away!) to be closer to family but ... the cost of living (excellent!) and schools and community have really tied us here -after only ten years!

ETA: "If you have some free time go check out the library. Woof, even open on Sundays."

Oh no! The 'brary most certainly is NOT open on Sundays! In fact, that is the day ALL the sidewalks are rolled up and tucked away for safekeeping.
(Note: this is still a very conservative and definitely NOT diverse area. Most shops, library, etc. are closed on Sundays).
Also, the Dutch Haus restaurant has got to be the most over-rated tourist trap around. Go downtown to a restaurant called Shella-Bellas. The best food (but small portions) ever and the owner will treat you like her long lost friend.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:31 PM

1,856 posts, read 5,555,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infoplease View Post

Also, the Dutch Haus restaurant has got to be the most over-rated tourist trap around. Go downtown to a restaurant called Shella-Bellas. The best food (but small portions) ever and the owner will treat you like her long lost friend.

Finally, somebody else willing to say that out loud. Be careful though, the Mennonite Mafia will drag you out of your house in the middle of the night, (not sunday night) wrap you in a non-flashy plain colored blanket, and drag you through the streets until you promise to spend money.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:49 PM

12 posts, read 52,430 times
I've got your back if you've got mine but man you said it!

So true, so true!

Old 10-16-2007, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,686 times
I've lived in Columbiana since 1991 and have to say it has become home. There IS a very strong sense of community here that is exemplified by all of the street fairs, car shows etc. I am very concerned about the sprawl, especially the proliferation of condo's vs. homes. They are too concentrated and make the area look cluttered in my opinion. Columbiana's biggest issue is a very weak infrastructure that is grossly overmatched by the pace of development. If one has issues which require interacting with the city management, I pity them.

Columbiana's greatest strength is location. It is 20 minutes off of the Ohio Turnpike and close to both Boardman and Salem which offer significant shopping and dining opportunities. Many people cite it's proximity to Pittsburgh but fail to consider it is also equadistant to both Akron and Canton.

All things considered, it is a very nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio