Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 06:01 PM

233 posts, read 444,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Most people don't move to a city because of hills or a river, though. I think Cincinnati is attractive geographically, but I don't know many people who would move there just because of that factor. Most people value affordability, location, economy/jobs, # of amenities, quality of life, etc.
I know people don't move to cities just because of topographical features, that's why I prefaced my first post by saying if a job and education weren't a factor I would choose Cinci over Cbus. I live outside of Dayton currently, and it's mostly flat. That's my lot in life at this moment, and I'm not dying inside because I live across from a flat farm .

Being back in Ohio is kind of a bump in the road for me, and when I can I'm moving back out West. Phoenix, Denver, or Albuquerque. And yes, I chose those three places based on their proximity to some reeeeeally big hills. I'm not MOD CUT, I love mountains and being close to them is the first thing on my want list when I move somewhere. But that's just me. Y'all and many others are different. I just get to be selfish because I'm single with no kiddos. It's cool, we can still be friends. One of my best friends back in Denver is from Pittsburgh and a huge Steelers fan. We ended up liking each other so much, that despite our differences, he gave me a big ol bottle of Jack when I had to move away. Bless that silly man, he must have known that I'd need it tonight.

Cbus is great. Cinci is great. IN MY SUBJECTIVE OPINION BASED ON WHAT I PERSONALLY LIKE, Cincinnati is my pick and it ain't changing. But I respect your opinion as well on what you like. Cheers mates.

Last edited by NewToCA; 09-12-2012 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: don't bypass language edits, please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 06:16 PM

324 posts, read 398,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boolouwho View Post
Oh, and not to sound racist or non PC or whatever, but I think of Cbus as one big white midwestern blob. Cinci IMO has more ethnic diversity and culture to absorb. I'm a young white girl in college, why would I want to go see more of the same?
Well, you need to do a little research!!! While Cincinnati proper is very diverse, the CSA is as white as the Rocky Mountains!!! Remember, Cincy is across the border from Kentucky and Indiana, which are two BIG-TIME redneck states. There isn't a whole lot of diversity in those states. And Cincinnati has the reputation of being racist.

Meanwhile the Columbus CSA has more Latinos, Asians and African-Americans. Furthermore, it's a much more tolerant region when compared to Cincinnati's CSA. Cincy is just too close to Kentucky and Indiana.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
Well, you need to do a little research!!! While Cincinnati proper is very diverse, the CSA is as white as the Rocky Mountains!!! Remember, Cincy is across the border from Kentucky and Indiana, which are two BIG-TIME redneck states. There isn't a whole lot of diversity in those states. And Cincinnati has the reputation of being racist.

Meanwhile the Columbus CSA has more Latinos, Asians and African-Americans. Furthermore, it's a much more tolerant region when compared to Cincinnati's CSA. Cincy is just too close to Kentucky and Indiana.

Yeah, heard this already from two other posters. I already said if statistically speaking Cbus is more diverse than Cinci, mea culpa on my inaccurate perception. The horse is dead

Old 09-12-2012, 06:58 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,009,443 times
Quote:

Quote:
Yeah, heard this already from two other posters. I already said if statistically speaking Cbus is more diverse than Cinci, mea culpa on my inaccurate perception. The horse is dead
Please don't be fall into this trap like some newcomer to this game, okay? The above post about whiteness, redneckness, diverseness, etc., is nothing more than "straw men" set up so they can be knocked down in yet another ploy to make Cincinnati look bad. BTW, if you do become serious about locating "rednecks," you needn't go into the hills of either Kentucky or Indiana. Just venture 2-3 miles in any direction outside Columbus' city limits and you'll be up to your neck in rednecks and cow manure both. (Personally, I would choose the redneck over the cow manure, but then again, it's not my call.)

Old 09-12-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
BTW, if you do become serious about locating "rednecks," you needn't go into the hills of either Kentucky or Indiana. Just venture 2-3 miles in any direction outside Columbus' city limits and you'll be up to your neck in rednecks and cow manure both. (Personally, I would choose the redneck over the cow manure, but then again, it's not my call.)
In the words of miss Gretchen Wilson:

I'm a redneck woman, I ain't no high class broad. I'm just a product of my raising, I say hey y'all and yeehaw!

I'm out of this pissing match between the boys, spent way too much time on it. Seriously, I'm gonna get PTSD from all the animosity on this thread. This girl is gonna go walk her dog over by the farm. Love the country, love rednecks, love country boys. I visit cities only when I want a change of pace for a bit and to have an adventure. Time to go listen to crickets and plan my next trip to...CLEVELAND.

Some of y'all are just crazy on this Ohio forum. Gonna go back to the Phoenix one and talk endlessly about heat, scorpions, and living with bobcats. The East side/West side debate on there isn't even as heated as this crap between the 3C's. I have no idea when my opinion about a place stopped being my own, and started to be a tug of war between two people trying to prove the other wrong or to relentlessly get me to change my mind to match up with their opinion. I respectfully bow out of the Ohio forum for a bit, or at least the ones regarding Cbus v Cinci.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:05 PM

249 posts, read 608,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Nice try trying to make it a "personal issue," but please try again. The "someone" you're referring to tore into the OP's impressions of Cincinnati in an obvious attempt to invalidate them (and her) as much as he attempted to praise Columbus.

I dont think I was referring to you in fact I wasnt im sure TomJones is a grown adult that can handle himself

Old 09-12-2012, 08:11 PM

324 posts, read 398,634 times
Quote:

I'm a redneck woman, I ain't no high class broad. I'm just a product of my raising, I say hey y'all and yeehaw!

I'm out of this pissing match between the boys, spent way too much time on it. Seriously, I'm gonna get PTSD from all the animosity on this thread. This girl is gonna go walk her dog over by the farm. Love the country, love rednecks, love country boys. I visit cities only when I want a change of pace for a bit and to have an adventure. Time to go listen to crickets and plan my next trip to...CLEVELAND.

Some of y'all are just crazy on this Ohio forum. Gonna go back to the Phoenix one and talk endlessly about heat, scorpions, and living with bobcats. The East side/West side debate on there isn't even as heated as this crap between the 3C's. I have no idea when my opinion about a place stopped being my own, and started to be a tug of war between two people trying to prove the other wrong or to relentlessly get me to change my mind to match up with their opinion. I respectfully bow out of the Ohio forum for a bit, or at least the ones regarding Cbus v Cinci.
What I said in my earlier post is 100% true. Cincinnati has the REPUTATION of being racist, KY and IN are redneck states, and the Columbus area is both more tolerant and diverse than the Cincinnati area. These are FACTS, not opinions!!!

You'll find that many of the Cincy posters have "The Birtherism Syndrome". They don't believe in facts!!!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:59 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,005,543 times
Quote:
I know people don't move to cities just because of topographical features, that's why I prefaced my first post by saying if a job and education weren't a factor I would choose Cinci over Cbus. I live outside of Dayton currently, and it's mostly flat. That's my lot in life at this moment, and I'm not dying inside because I live across from a flat farm .

Being back in Ohio is kind of a bump in the road for me, and when I can I'm moving back out West. Phoenix, Denver, or Albuquerque. And yes, I chose those three places based on their proximity to some reeeeeally big hills. I'm not MOD CUT, I love mountains and being close to them is the first thing on my want list when I move somewhere. But that's just me. Y'all and many others are different. I just get to be selfish because I'm single with no kiddos. It's cool, we can still be friends. One of my best friends back in Denver is from Pittsburgh and a huge Steelers fan. We ended up liking each other so much, that despite our differences, he gave me a big ol bottle of Jack when I had to move away. Bless that silly man, he must have known that I'd need it tonight.

Cbus is great. Cinci is great. IN MY SUBJECTIVE OPINION BASED ON WHAT I PERSONALLY LIKE, Cincinnati is my pick and it ain't changing. But I respect your opinion as well on what you like. Cheers mates.
I live in a place surrounded on all sides by mountains. It was cool for about 3 days. I've been rock climbing a few times and that was also cool. Other than that, mountains are meh for me. They become about as interesting as the background trees are for me. I'm definitely more about the social interaction than the scenery. So definitely, I agree, that people place different priorities on different things.

Last edited by NewToCA; 09-12-2012 at 11:07 PM..

Old 09-12-2012, 11:07 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,005,543 times
Quote:

The animosity is very specific to just a few posters, really. I think the majority of posters from the 3-Cs are just proud of their respective city and want to promote it as much as possible.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
What I said in my earlier post is 100% true. Cincinnati has the REPUTATION of being racist, KY and IN are redneck states, and the Columbus area is both more tolerant and diverse than the Cincinnati area. These are FACTS, not opinions!!!

You'll find that many of the Cincy posters have "The Birtherism Syndrome". They don't believe in facts!!!
Against my better judgement I clicked on the new comment on this thread....

Dude WTF OMG ROTFL seriously? The opinions that I referred to were the opinions that Cbus is somehow the be all end all of Ohio and that every other city in this state is not even worthy to be mentioned. I said so many nice things about Columbus (clean, safe, jobs, OSU, etc), and then backed up my reasoning for personally liking Cinci better (hills, big river, different architecture, pro sports, whatever)

And holy moley, the diversity thing again??? Do I have to be crucified and wear a sign around my neck saying that I was wrong and all you other people were right about Cbus having diversity? I already said "Oh ok, maybe I was wrong about that". Do you people ever stop? I have already said two times that I concede that Colulmbus does have diversity and I learned something new today. Can you learn something new as well, or are you just going to continue targeting me and telling me how wrong I am about everything like a broken record.

And I'm in no way a Cinci poster, I just like the place better than Columbus. Is that now a crime? I will never be so egocentric as some of you on here to think that one city must appeal to everyone over any other city or something is wrong with them. Repeatedly I have said that we have differing opinions and that's cool. I'm not trying to pry anyone away from the city they love or sway some pointless vote in Cinci's direction. It's my opinion. MINE. You are welcome to yours, but stop attacking people if they think differently. I'm a newcomer, true, but I'm no pushover. I admit when I'm wrong (read: Columbus isn't just a white bread town, and as many other posters have stated, it does have diversity. We cool now?) but you should respect things that you can't throw statistics at, like people's preferences.

And, as someone else posted earlier, the OP had an opinion that favored Cincinnati as well. Did all the rabidly pro Cbus supporters sway his opinion? Probably not. Did you sway mine? Nope. Does Cbus have diversity? Yep, I learned something new! Yay me! You preach how Cbus is such a tolerant culture, so how about showing some tolerance for others opinions?

Last edited by boolouwho; 09-12-2012 at 11:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio