Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:59 PM

22 posts, read 54,217 times

Advertisements

Hi all.. after some investigation I like the look of fairlawn Ohio as it is only about 15 mins drive from where my hubby will be working in Barberton...

Can anyone tell me if I am on the right track?

Thanks for any help anyone has to offer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 03:06 PM

Hi,
Thanks for your thoughts, I really appreciate the help.. Hope all Americans will be this helpful when we get there as i feel we are going to be in for a big culture shock

Old 11-07-2010, 03:11 PM

Ok then... Making a mental note ( as I am a teacher ) to pay special attention to the school situation for both my children and myself.. Thanks

Old 11-07-2010, 04:48 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,136,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiFamily4 View Post
Hi...
Thanks for the advise.. We are only moving for a year as part of a training programme for my husband and will be heading home after taking some time off to have a good look around.. Waiouru, yep we live a few hours drive from there.. We are in Napier and we don't get snow here, it doesn't get cold enough... What songs did they teach you, I would be interested to know... Take care and thank you for taking the time to reply.
K.L
Little hint, It had something to do with being a "Wanker", LOL.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:28 AM

LOL you have lost me

Old 11-08-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
LOL you have lost me
Being that your a lady, I'll not say more . A gentleman should never speak of such things in front of the women folks. Especially since it's one of those drinking sounds that one would sing with his mates in the pubs over a pint.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:46 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Like a lot of once heavily industrial cities in the post-industrial era, Akron has been hit hard by the secular decline in manufacturing employment over the last couple of decades. The resultant disinvestment and population loss has left much of the city in pretty sad shape. It has happened to a lot of cities in the Northeast quadrant of the U.S. Some cities have made more progress toward recovery than others. Chicago has come through pretty well (though substantial swaths of it are still pretty rough) while Detroit has become a borderline humanitarian crisis. Akron lies somewhere in between.

But if Akron is like most other such cities, many of the outlying suburbs are still doing fine; it's mostly chunks of the city proper and maybe some bordering suburbs that are struggling. I don't live in the Akron area so I can't be more specific, but I do know that Akron isn't exactly the best of what the U.S. has to offer.
Akron is actually not in that bad of shape. Not the most exciting place in the country by any means, but not the epidiemy of a rust belt dump either. It's a good place for someone looking to raise a family. It helps being close to Cleveland if you get bored though.

The rough areas in Akron are generally in the southwest part of the city proper. Some other rough spots are around Arlington Street and Kelly Avenue on the east side and around Howard Street on the north side.

The nicest parts of Akron are the northwest part of the city and the suburbs in that general direction.

The better schools will be found in the suburbs, which is the case with most American cities. Fairlawn is a nice suburb with good shopping and I also like the areas around Portage Lakes.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:03 AM

Thanks for your reply, it helps alot

Old 11-09-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Being that your a lady, I'll not say more . A gentleman should never speak of such things in front of the women folks. Especially since it's one of those drinking sounds that one would sing with his mates in the pubs over a pint.
Earthbound.. enough said lol.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Earthbound.. enough said lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio