Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Skyline In Ohio
Cleveland 33 38.37%
Columbus 11 12.79%
Cincinnati 32 37.21%
Akron 1 1.16%
Toledo 4 4.65%
Other 5 5.81%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 09:40 AM

319 posts, read 394,051 times

Advertisements

Been there. Done that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 12:32 PM

34 posts, read 38,968 times
Default Dayton Skyline

Were the heck is Dayton, I think Dayton's skyline kills Toledo and Akron

Old 05-16-2016, 02:42 PM

595 posts, read 596,274 times
I'd rank:

1. Columbus - While it's probably unpopular to pick Columbus first, I feel one advantage it has over Cincinnati is building height. Columbus has more buildings over 500 feet tall than any other city in Ohio. I think there's also a nice mix of old and new architecture, it being on the river, and the most important piece - it looks good from nearly any angle. This is something Cleveland can't boast.
2. Cincinnati - On the river with the hills in the background is fantastic. The completion of the Queen City Tower adds a lot to the skyline. I think Cincinnati lags behind Columbus only by an inch for the height factor. Over 500 feet it's 5 to 2. Over 400 feet it's 10 to 7. The other small contributing factor is how Columbus looks great from almost any angle, while Cincinnati doesn't have as many great angles. It looks good from Kentucky and from a few adjacent neighborhoods, but it's not a full 360 like Columbus. It sure has much better angles than Cleveland though.
3. Cleveland - Key Tower, Terminal Tower, and the BP building are all fantastic. The problem I've always had with Cleveland is that these buildings almost jump out too far into the skyline. They're so much taller than everything else that it just looks like Cleveland has 3 really tall buildings and that's it. While that photo above of Cleveland looks terrific, it's also really hard to find proper angles of Cleveland that give it justice. It doesn't lag far behind the other big C's in Ohio, but it's missing a few 500-700 foot tall buildings to balance it out which would catapult it into a world class skyline.
4. Toledo - How you can even put this on the list compared to the 3 C's is ludicrous, but of the 2nd tier Ohio cities it ranks best. While Dayton clearly has a much better downtown, Toledo has a more attractive skyline - even if its best views are limited to one side of the river.
5. Dayton - Just a hair behind Toledo. Akron doesn't even compete.
6. Akron - Akron is just as far behind Dayton as it is ahead of Youngstown or Canton.
7. Youngstown - The only reason this is ahead of Canton is because it's easier to get a view of what (used to be) a thriving downtown. It looks like a time capsule from the 1930's.
8. Canton - It's Canton.
9. Lakewood - Ehhh... it's kind of a Skyline. More so than Independence, Mansfield, or Lima.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:36 AM

5,005 posts, read 5,606,171 times
It depends on where you view the Cleveland one from. Many spots, I agree with you, it doesn't have balance. However, if viewed from Edgewater or Lakeview, it is highly impressive still, even though adding a few more would really enhance it. I'm not sure about the other cities, but Cleveland is adding a 600er before the decade nuCLEus, and who knows, perhaps Sherwin Williams or Progressive will follow suit with a new building downtown, but I'm not sure.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:17 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,969,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
It depends on where you view the Cleveland one from. Many spots, I agree with you, it doesn't have balance. However, if viewed from Edgewater or Lakeview, it is highly impressive still, even though adding a few more would really enhance it. I'm not sure about the other cities, but Cleveland is adding a 600er before the decade nuCLEus, and who knows, perhaps Sherwin Williams or Progressive will follow suit with a new building downtown, but I'm not sure.
Has the NuCLEus project already been approved and given a construction timetable? I haven't followed the project much since it was first announced.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:44 PM

606 posts, read 726,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cl3v3land View Post
Which city has the best looking skyline in Ohio? Also can you explain why you think so......
The only skyline I want to see is Ohio getting smaller and smaller in my rear view mirror as I drive south!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-20-2016, 08:20 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,132,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
The only skyline I want to see is Ohio getting smaller and smaller in my rear view mirror as I drive south!!!!!!!!!!
Berkeley county does not exist in Ohio

Old 05-23-2016, 11:23 AM

5,005 posts, read 5,606,171 times
I think construction is set to commence in fall, and estimated time of completion is late 2018, which should help city and skyline big time. I would post link but only word I've heard confirmed is at a competitor site about Ohio specific development and I think per TOS, that's not allowed since that usually gets deleted in threads.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:44 PM

638 posts, read 973,400 times
If you combined all the skylines together from each state, Ohio would be top 5

Old 06-01-2016, 08:55 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,321,379 times
Default Bar 32 offers skyscraper views in downtown Cleveland

Bar 32 atop Cleveland's new Hilton convention center hotel will open soon, offering great views of Cleveland's downtown and Lake Erie.

Hilton Cleveland Downtown now open; check out the views from the 32nd floor (photos) | cleveland.com

Are there any other skyscraper bars in Ohio, other than the 150-foot Azure open-air lounge at The Nine in Cleveland?

Preview: Azure rooftop lounge at The 9 in Cleveland boasts stellar views of the city (photos) | cleveland.com

Azure Rooftop Lounge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio