U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:31 PM

901 posts, read 1,045,598 times
Default Favorite building in Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Columbus

I've been looking at pictures of the Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Columbus skylines. Each time I look, I seem to be more drawn to one particular building in each city over any of the others - and I thought it might be interesting to ask everyone what their favorite building is in each of those cities.

Mine:

Cleveland - the Stokes Federal Courthouse. I like the curved shape, the variation in the pattern of windows on the facade, and that structure on the roof that juts out over the edge. (Sorry, that's probably not the proper architectural term for it. )

Cincinnati - the new tallest skyscraper called Great American Tower. I like the shape of the building from the front, although I think it looks a bit short for as wide as it is. But the side view is amazing, and the tiara when it's lit up at night makes it look stunning.

Columbus - the Huntington Center. It's the perfect height for a rectangular tower, and the setbacks really make it unique. (Again, not sure what the proper architectural term is for that.) I've never seen another tower quite like it.

What about you guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 07:40 PM

2,554 posts, read 3,759,500 times
Good idea for a thread.

Cleveland: Key Tower is in the top 60 tallest in the world. At 947 feet, it is designed by my favorite architect, and has awesome setbacks towards the top and an awesome crown. You have to stand at the bottom up Key Tower and just look up to get the idea of the height of this building. Terminal Tower, is a true classic. One of the best in the country. It was the tallest building in the world outside of New York City when built. It's a tie between the two.

Columbus: The Leveque (spelling) Tower is another classic art deco building. I really like how it is lit up at night, and really adds something unique to Columbus' mostly modern skyline. I also like some of Columbus' new condo highrises that have went up in the past few years.

Cincinnati: Carew Tower is probaly my favorite art deco in the state. You have to visit it and go to the observation deck at the top to get some great views of the city, river, and off into Kentucky. The detail on this building is inspiring to say the least. Also, Cincinnati's new tallest which is still under construction, but mostly finished is a great new addition to the skyline. The crown really balances the skyline out. When coming down Cut-in-the-Hill in Kentucky where Cincy's skyline just hits you, you see Carew, Scripps Center, and now QCS all lining up the skyline. The crown is all lit up, and the setbacks are nice too.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:21 PM

Thanks, Traveler. I really look forward to other responses to this.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:06 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,611,211 times
The Terminal Tower in Cleveland is one of my favorite structures in the country (I'm a fan of classic skyscrapers). It actually goes well beyond the tower portion and is a massive complex.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:59 AM

3,310 posts, read 2,773,166 times
Yes, I'd have to agree. The Terminal Tower complex is truly a one-of-a-kind. It was also once the tallest building in the world outside of NYC. There is a lot of history attached to it.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:38 PM

458 posts, read 621,847 times
Key Tower

and also the Terminal Tower

I really like the Great American Tower in Cincinnati as well. It is very unique.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:52 PM

I almost said Key Tower as my favorite in Cleveland, but my eyes keep going to that federal courthouse. I think I'm obviously biased toward contemporary architecture - I prefer clean lines. To me, Terminal Tower and Leveque Tower are pretty buildings, but they are too ornate for my tastes.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:33 PM

3,506 posts, read 4,725,277 times
Terminal Tower

Old 01-12-2011, 09:07 AM

5,718 posts, read 5,582,190 times
I like the Federal Reserve Building in Cleveland.
Mainly because of the walls that look like marble.
As for skyscrapers, I prefer the Keys smaller sister, the BP tower. The front atrium part is really cool.

Colombus I would say the Huntington.

Cincy I would say the PNC Building.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:35 AM

3,863 posts, read 2,526,190 times
If we are not talking skyscrapers the Cleveland Grays building is pretty cool.

Non-skyscraper in Cincy might be Union Terminal, but hard to say, since there is so much good stuff there. I like the new contemporary art museum, too.

For Columbus, my two faves are no oldies, but the two Eisenman buildings..the convention center and the Wexner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio