U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:19 PM

227 posts, read 621,186 times
Boardman is a great community. It has changed for the better in my opinion even though many people will say for the worst. It has a nice ethnic and social economic mix. When I was a kid my "rich" cousins from my fathers side of the family lived there. I was a "poor" farm boy who sometimes stayed with them and was shocked at how miserable people living the American dream could be. The town reminded me of a dysfunctional soap opera with a mix of materialist baby boomers and cranky old ethnic people. Most everybody looked and acted the same. The town has a more open blue collar feel and is much less pretentious than before. The money and attitudes moved to canfield, poland and to the townships in the southern and western part of the county. I recently took some classes at YSU for continued education and found the young people from boardman to be a good group of kids. I recommend staying south of indianola ave. Meridian ave is the DMZ and it is where the township starts. Some people may say stay south of route 224 but don't believe that.
Teaching jobs are extremely hard to come by in the area. Two of my friends have education degrees and they were unable to find jobs after looking for many years and eventually gave up to become farmers. Almost every one who had an education degree had to move to the carolinas, texas or out west. Currently from what I understand it is very hard to get a teaching job in areas mentioned. I read in the north carolina hunting forums that even wake county which is Raleigh may be laying off staff. Hard to believe but some guy was worried his wife may be laid off. My brother in law substitutes and he has a degree in nursing home admin. I think he had to take some classes and a test in order to do this. He says he makes decent money and does not mind doing it. As Cortland Girl said you might want to look at the Catholic schools but the pay is horrid and you probably make more as a sub. For rentals you might want to look at craigslist. These are just some of the properties that may suit your needs. 3br - 3 Bedroom 1 1/2 Bath - Cape Cod (http://youngstown.craigslist.org/apa/2182202340.html - broken link)
Historic Newport Glen Area- 3 BR, Townhouse Style Apartment (http://youngstown.craigslist.org/apa/2178396037.html - broken link)
canfield private farm house (http://youngstown.craigslist.org/apa/2175777900.html - broken link)
Renovated Farmhouse (http://youngstown.craigslist.org/apa/2161981702.html - broken link)
Available Now! (http://youngstown.craigslist.org/apa/2160154300.html - broken link)
http://youngstown.craigslist.org/apa/2156616980.html (broken link)
I put some more rural properties in there since you said you had a dog. Green township is south of Canfield and north of Salem. It would be about 30 minutes to north side hospital. Welcome to y-town...

Last edited by ncguy444; 01-26-2011 at 10:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 07:44 PM

14 posts, read 37,927 times
Thank you guys! You are all extremely helpful!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:22 PM

3,170 posts, read 6,507,277 times
You're very welcome!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:43 PM

No problem, any other questions or concerns let them be known and someone will help you. Once again good luck and take care...

Old 01-27-2011, 09:50 PM

14 posts, read 37,927 times
I did come up with one other question. I am looking to rent a ranch house (most likely with a basement) that is around 2,000 sq ft. Could you estimate average utility bills for water, gas, and electric?

Thanks!

Old 01-28-2011, 03:34 AM

That's kind of hard to say, depends how efficient the heating and cooling are. It also depends on insulation, windows, etc. I would say gas will be pretty cheap in the summer, probably $50 at most if you have have a gas water heater and stove. If the furnace is gas i'm guessing the monthly bill in the winter could be anywhere from $100-$300. I think you could probably ask the homeowner to see the previous utility bills or ask the gas company. My best guess at electric for two people is anywhere from $70-$150/month. I have no idea on the water because everyplace charges differently. When i lived in niles my water and sewage bills came on my electric bill.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaching123abc View Post
I did come up with one other question. I am looking to rent a ranch house (most likely with a basement) that is around 2,000 sq ft. Could you estimate average utility bills for water, gas, and electric?

Thanks!
I live in the sticks which means I have a well, septic and heat with oil. Like Cortland girl said depends on the area and he best thing to do is ask the owner to approximate costs. There are only 2 of you I take it. Figure about $100.00 a month electric, $150.00 a month for gas and about $50.00 a month for water and sewer. This would be your average for the year which is approximately $300.00 a month. In mob controlled areas such as Niles utilities tend to be a little higher to the grease action going on and forget about getting your streets plowed.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:27 AM

Actually, you're wrong on Niles utilities, they are cheap, cheap, cheap, that's why the Eastwood Mall area which includes part of Howland Twp. uses Niles utilities. Niles includes, their water, sewer and electric all on one bill and you're billed every month for all three. The highest monthly bill i ever had in Niles (just me in my 2700 sq/ft house) was $115 for one month. Most of the time i would say my bill was about $50-60/month. That's with two tv's, electronics, computer, two refridgerators, one which was very old, electric stove and oven, and electric washer and dryer.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:02 PM

1,856 posts, read 5,734,122 times
The renovated farmhouse for rent is advertising free gas for free heat. I happened to drive by it tonight on my way to Lowellville. It's in a great location, and is surrounded by the only trees on that whole stretch of road. It has a Canfield address, but is really Beaver Township South Range schools.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Actually, you're wrong on Niles utilities, they are cheap, cheap, cheap, that's why the Eastwood Mall area which includes part of Howland Twp. uses Niles utilities. Niles includes, their water, sewer and electric all on one bill and you're billed every month for all three. The highest monthly bill i ever had in Niles (just me in my 2700 sq/ft house) was $115 for one month. Most of the time i would say my bill was about $50-60/month. That's with two tv's, electronics, computer, two refridgerators, one which was very old, electric stove and oven, and electric washer and dryer.
My bad.. my significant other is from Niles. I was under the impression they were higher. Might be because they have their own power plant. They also have most of the commercial property in the county which helps keep the rates down for the residential customers because commercial rates tend to be much higher. The reason Eastwood mall is on Niles utilities is because it is in Niles city limits. Can't deny the lack of snow removal or their lackluster street department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio