U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-26-2011, 04:28 PM

14 posts, read 38,874 times
Default Moving to Youngstown - Any Advice?

Hello all,

My fiance is in medical school and will be doing his residency in a hospital in Youngstown. We will be moving from the quiet Chicago suburbs. Can you provide us with any advice on areas to look into moving to? I know there are areas that have high crime and would like to avoid those.

Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 05:33 PM

3,170 posts, read 6,588,936 times
Are you looking to rent or buy? What is your budget? What kind of amenities do you want to be near? Will he be working for St. E's, Akron Children's of the MV, Northside, St. E's Boardman??

Old 01-26-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Are you looking to rent or buy? What is your budget? What kind of amenities do you want to be near? Will he be working for St. E's, Akron Children's of the MV, Northside, St. E's Boardman??
We are looking to rent since we'll be there for only 3 years. Our budget is no more than 700/month with some utilities included. We'd like a 2 bedroom apartment that will allow my small maltese. I'd like to be around dining, shopping, parks, and cultural events. He will be at Northside hospital. Thanks for your help!

Old 01-26-2011, 06:04 PM

227 posts, read 639,302 times
Youngstown and the surrounding area gets a bad rap. It is actually a friendly and cheap place to live. Centrally located with excellent infrastructure, low home and land prices with excellent suburban/rural schools. Most doctors in the area live in Canfield, Poland, Cortland or Howland. Many live in the more rural areas such as green, beaver, ellsworth, berlin, bazetta, howland and liberty townships. All these areas have good people and schools. There are other areas that may fit your liking such as boardman and austintown for a more urban feel. The mahoning valley is a mix of blue collar, white collar, yuppie, hillbilly, farmer, white trash and ghetto thug people. The areas I recommended above would most likely be what you are looking for. Good luck and welcome to the area.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:13 PM

Well, you could live many nice places in the Youngstown area within 15 or 20 minutes of Northside. I can't recommend any places to rent south of Youngstown, but if you decide to look in Trumbull County I can definitely help.

There is a ton of dining in Boardman and Niles and i think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the number of locally owned places (I hope you like italian!). As for shopping both Niles and Boardman have your typical mall and big box stores. If you want something more upscale you may have to drive an hour to Beechwood (up by Cleveland) or Robinson (near Pittsburgh). There are outlets in Aurora (near Cleveland) and in Grove City, Pa.

Youngstown has an amazing park Home | Mill Creek MetroParks and most communities have nice small parks. We also have a few lakes w/parks and Mosquito Lake is state park.

You'll find cultural events in downtown Youngstown, Warren, Cleveland, Akron and Pittsburgh.

Check out these links:

Covelli Centre

The Butler Institute of American Art

Local Music Youngstown Bands, Drink Specials, Events, Local: Valley24.com Everything Entertainment

City of Warren, Ohio

Ohio State Parks - Mosquito Lake State Park

:: De Yor Performing Arts Center ::

The Youngstown Playhouse

The Official Henry H. Stambaugh Auditorium Website

W.D. Packard Music Hall

Visit Trumbull County Ohio and discover the Amish of Mesopotamia.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:17 PM

227 posts, read 639,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaching123abc View Post
We are looking to rent since we'll be there for only 3 years. Our budget is no more than 700/month with some utilities included. We'd like a 2 bedroom apartment that will allow my small maltese. I'd like to be around dining, shopping, parks, and cultural events. He will be at Northside hospital. Thanks for your help!
Most of the apartment complexes in the area are filled with white trash. The ones in Canfield are no different and I know by living there years ago and I am sure they are much worse now. Your best bet would be to rent a house in the area mentioned in my first post. I would guess that one 1 of 5 houses in the area is for sale or rent. If I remember right from my economics classes that should be beneficial to a renter. You could probably rent a 3 bedroom house in a good neighborhood with your budget. Also with a house you would most likely be able to have pets if you signed a waiver for damages. The only negative with a house you have to cut grass, shovel snow, pay to heat the place etc. which would most likely take you around $1,000 a month. I was in north side a few weeks ago having my hand worked on after an industrial accident. I was very impressed by the professionalism and friendliness of the staff. Once again good luck and God Bless..

Old 01-26-2011, 06:17 PM

Shopping:

http://www.eastwoodmall.com/home/index.ch2

http://www.simon.com/mall/default.aspx?id=160

Legacy Village: Home

www.premiumoutlets.com Check out the Grove City and Aurora locations

Beachwood Place Mall - Upscale Shopping, Dining and Entertainment in Cleveland, Ohio

Old 01-26-2011, 06:21 PM

I know a lot of GM transfers were renting at these nice condos in Howland Sawgrass Condominium Rental Community.

I think ncguy might be right, you can rent a decent house in an older area such as Niles for pretty cheap, but you would have to deal with utilities and yard work.

If you have questions about specific areas, towns or neighborhoods we can definitely help.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:44 PM

CortlandGirl and NCGuy, thank you so much for your help. I did some research and kind of like the Boardman area, but I notice that it is very close to Youngstown. Are there certain areas that are nicer than others? It seems like Boardman is in a convenient location to everything.

Do you also have any information about jobs in the education field. I'm currently a teacher and would be looking for a job in the Youngstown area when I move. It seems in Chicago there are too many teachers and not nearly enough positions. Is this similar to Youngstown?

Old 01-26-2011, 08:04 PM

Sorry to say, but teaching positions are tough to find here too. It really just depends on what you teach. If it's math, science or special ed, you might have a shot. You may be able to sub or teach in a catholic school, but the pay isn't very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio