Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 12:36 PM

77 posts, read 439,971 times

Advertisements

Hey there, I'm 24, live in Los Angeles Area, CA.

I'm looking at OH right now. Looking for really nice neighborhoods. I'd like to live in a Nice Neighborhood, surrounded by really good/nice neighbors. And also- not in the middle of nowhere. So perhaps a Suburb? i dunno..

I'm sure you all know the place pretty well, I don't yet.. so please if you can make some recommendations.

Also- just a Family Friendly sort of place. And the primary reason I'm looking for property is cause, well.. I guess California is on that Falt line.. And yeah..

So I'd be looking for a place that doesn't have Earthquakes, Tornadoes, Floods, Hurricanes etc..

thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 01:00 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,910,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianguitarist27 View Post
Hey there, I'm 24, live in Los Angeles Area, CA.

I'm looking at OH right now. Looking for really nice neighborhoods. I'd like to live in a Nice Neighborhood, surrounded by really good/nice neighbors. And also- not in the middle of nowhere. So perhaps a Suburb? i dunno..

I'm sure you all know the place pretty well, I don't yet.. so please if you can make some recommendations.

Also- just a Family Friendly sort of place. And the primary reason I'm looking for property is cause, well.. I guess California is on that Falt line.. And yeah..

So I'd be looking for a place that doesn't have Earthquakes, Tornadoes, Floods, Hurricanes etc..

thank you very much!
Do you have a job lined up? Just wondering, because unless you're in healthcare finding a job could be challenging.

Warren has some nice areas, but it depends on what you're looking for. Will you be renting, buying? How much are you looking to spend? What kind of amenities? If you have a job how far away do you want to live? These are very important questions that you need to answer in order for us to help.

I wouldn't be too worried about natural disasters here. There is always a chance for earthquakes, tornados and floods, but other than rainfall from hurricanes you don't have to worry about that. We have had earthquakes here, but they are very weak and usually we never feel them (they probably happen every 5 years or so). We do have thunderstorms during mostly the spring and summer, so there is always a chance of tornados, but you will have plenty of warning if there is a chance of one and all the towns have tornado sirens. I only remember hearing about one or two in my lifetime (32 yrs) and they didn't cause much distruction where i live. We don't usually have floods either, but they are usually localized to locations that are near rivers and located in the flood plain.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like, we love to help out new people!

Old 02-02-2011, 07:07 AM

74 posts, read 188,669 times
I am moving from NY and am looking at New Richmond, just southwest of Cincinnati. Small town, community feel, not trendy, down to earth, good schools, great views.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:09 AM

11 posts, read 32,813 times
Hey there, I wouldn't suggest Warren. It's ok but lots of troubled areas. Since your from the big city I suggest a small town near Cleveland. I grew up in Independence only about 15 minutes from downtown Cleveland off Interstate I 77. It's an nice town with a bustling area that has lots of buildings and businesses, a great little park with pools, library, sports fields, and very nice people. You can find a quiet little street off Brecksville Rd or even down in the neighboring town's of Valley View, Brecksville or Sagamore Hills, all offer great area's, good school systems, parks and safe area's to live even though close to the city life. They have places with land and farms or homes in upper scale developments. Independence is Home to the Cleveland Cavaliers training facility. There's also many neighboring towns and cities that offer even more seclusion but still allow you to be near plenty of social life, plus if your into boating Cleveland has the lake front! Just an area to check out but I would stay away from the Warren Youngstown Area, I used to live out there, it's getting kinda rough. Now, I'm way out in the county of Ashtabula but still only about 1 1/2 hours from Downtown Cleveland.

Last edited by TRUTH4YOU; 02-24-2011 at 10:19 AM..

Old 02-24-2011, 10:24 AM

41,840 posts, read 74,899,969 times
There are pleasant neighborhoods to be had in every corner of Ohio. The only part of the state that you might consider a little remote would be the southeastern corner, although Marietta and Athens have their charms. You'd have your choice of classic and quaint small towns near large cities (Lebanon, Chagrin Falls, Hudson), more remote small towns and cities, or suburbs of large or medium-sized cities.

Don't discount neighborhoods within city limits, either. All of Ohio's cities have good things to offer. I guess where you'd want to live would depend on what you're looking for beyond "nice", and where you can find a job.

Tornadoes are common, especially in the western part of the state, but not a daily occurrence. Earthquakes are rare and usually just a novelty. Floods can happen anywhere, but are most likely along the larger rivers, especially the Ohio River and especially about this time of year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelent View Post
I am moving from NY and am looking at New Richmond, just southwest of Cincinnati.
There are floods there.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:37 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,925,346 times
honestly this is like me visiting California and asking for a good place to get a sandwich.

Ohio is a large, diverse state with half a dozen major metro areas. There are nice neighborhoods, villages, towns, suburbs, and cities all over the state. You really need to ask a more specific question.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:41 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,910,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUTH4YOU View Post
Just an area to check out but I would stay away from the Warren Youngstown Area, I used to live out there, it's getting kinda rough. Now, I'm way out in the county of Ashtabula but still only about 1 1/2 hours from Downtown Cleveland.
I'm not where you lived in the Mahoning Valley, but the whole Youngstown/Warren area isn't "rough". Sure the city of Youngstown is pretty rough and parts of Warren have really gone down hill, but the citys and towns surrounding those two towns are quite nice. I don't know anyone that would say Cortland, Howland, Champion, Hubbard, McDonald, Poland, Canfield, or our rural areas are rough. Cleveland is rough in some areas too, does that mean you shouldn't recommend other areas in the Cleveland metro or the nicer parts of the city????

Besides, it looks like the OP has been banned, so there is really not much point in recommending where he should live.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:10 PM

41,840 posts, read 74,899,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Besides, it looks like the OP has been banned, so there is really not much point in recommending where he should live.
Good call; I didn't even notice that.

Oh, well, we could always debate amongst ourselves ...

Old 02-24-2011, 01:21 PM

390 posts, read 1,045,082 times
Check out Oakwood, Ohio. Consistently ranked one of the nicest communities of the midwest, it borders the University of Dayton campus and a bustling revitalized neighborhood called Brown Street District and is five minutes from all the downtown amenities. It is hilly, has some of the most spectacular architecture in the region, and even has its own little downtown with high end shops and coffee places, etc. Its 9,000 people so very small yet you are surrounded by plenty of other places. There is easy access to the interstate 75 and it is a well connected community. It also has a school system that generally ranked either first or second place in the state when it comes to standardized testing and excellent performing schools. Average income is around $90k which would be like 550k in LA. You're in Ohio, so everything is cheaper. In this community, you could probably find a home for 500k-600k that would cost 4-8 million in the LA area. Another great community in Ohio is a neighborhood in Cincinnati. It's called Hyde Park. Its similar to Oakwood but has alot of old money there. Because it actually is in the city of Cincinnati, you'd be looking at kids going to private schools. But this neighborhood is six minutes away from downtown and has spectacular views of the city. You can get a view of the new Grand American Tower, and have easy access to Cincinnati's transforming downtown, which has great stores like Sak's Fifth Avenue, Tiffany's, Macy's, White House Black Market, etc. Good luck!

Old 02-24-2011, 02:17 PM

498 posts, read 1,504,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUTH4YOU View Post
but I would stay away from the Warren Youngstown Area, I used to live out there, it's getting kinda rough. Now, I'm way out in the county of Ashtabula but still only about 1 1/2 hours from Downtown Cleveland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
I'm not where you lived in the Mahoning Valley, but the whole Youngstown/Warren area isn't "rough". Sure the city of Youngstown is pretty rough and parts of Warren have really gone down hill, but the citys and towns surrounding those two towns are quite nice.
i agree! the youngstown and warren areas are not places that people would want to move across the country to experience. both cities have lots of crime, there are not any jobs to work, and there are not any unique cultural amenities in town to enjoy (though it is not too far out to drive out to cleveland or pittsburgh). the suburbs and rural areas around them are like any other suburb or rural areas except that they are near two dying rust belt cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio