U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:09 PM

837 posts, read 676,623 times
I grew up in Ohio. In recent years I have adopted Montana as my home state but I love Ohio and may move back someday. Why? It's pretty, is inexpensive to live, has a sense of history and diversity of cultures, comparatively mild weather, and it has good food. And the people are great too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 09:26 PM

2,465 posts, read 1,876,248 times
Ohio's big cities are dripping with character ... try finding that in the South.

Ohio's small towns are some of the most quaint, picturesque, comfortable places in America.

Ohio has fresh water.

Ohio is close to the East Coast.

Ohio has all four complete seasons.

Ohio has some of the best arts in the world.

Ohio has a definite sense of history.

SE Ohio has lush green forests.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:52 AM

1,656 posts, read 1,843,583 times
[quote=abr7rmj;17857719]Ohio's big cities are dripping with character ... try finding that in the South. Savannah, Charleston,SC to name a couple

Ohio's small towns are some of the most quaint, picturesque, comfortable places in America. Boone, Blowing Rock, NC, Oxford, MS...but loved Chagrin Falls..

Ohio has fresh water. hmm, that's great

Ohio is close to the East Coast. and your point is?

Ohio has all four complete seasons. I prefer 3 seasons

Ohio has some of the best arts in the world. Cleveland has some good arts, wouldn't make this statement about Ohio arts though

Ohio has a definite sense of history. not sure if OH has monopoly on this, Philly, Boston, Savannah, Charleston, SC come to mind..

SE Ohio has lush green forests.seems you can find this in most states[/quote]

Old 02-14-2011, 08:38 AM

34 posts, read 5,695 times
ummm ohio has one of many party cities CLEVELAND haha

Old 02-14-2011, 08:51 AM

5,810 posts, read 6,919,858 times
Party cities don't pay the bills.

The fact of the truth is that it's the businesses that are leaving Ohio and the people are just following the companies.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:20 AM

2,465 posts, read 1,876,248 times
Wonderful. I can't even post things I love about Ohio on an Ohio forum without some hater chiming in as to why my opinions are wrong.

[quote=ZnGuy;17861048]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Ohio's big cities are dripping with character ... try finding that in the South. Savannah, Charleston,SC to name a couple Big cities is the key part of what I said. Charleston, S.C., and Savannah, Ga., do not have anywhere near the amenities of Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus, which are just on an altogether different level.

Ohio's small towns are some of the most quaint, picturesque, comfortable places in America. Boone, Blowing Rock, NC, Oxford, MS...but loved Chagrin Falls.. I believe I said Ohio has "some of the most quaint, picturesque, comfortable places in America," not all. You can go from great small town to great small town one after the other in Ohio. It's is interesting is that you cherry picked two Southern towns that are a 10-hour drive and almost three states and 600 miles apart.

Ohio has fresh water. hmm, that's great If you think this is a joke, you probably haven't been paying attention to the severe water crisis that many parts of the South have been suffering through in recent years. Atlanta's reservoirs were in such dire straits just two summers ago that massive water restrictions were in effect. As the South's bloated population continues to swell, you can expect a lot more of that and even Western-style state water feuds starting. So feel free to mock Ohio's abundant fresh water all you want - for now.

Ohio is close to the East Coast. and your point is? I happen to love the East Coast, which is why it's nice that some of the world's great cities (NYC, Washington DC, Philadelphia), are accessible from anywhere in Ohio.

Ohio has all four complete seasons. I prefer 3 seasons I prefer all four. And some people prefer only one, hence the existence of Yuma, Ariz., and Barrow, Alaska. Your point?

Ohio has some of the best arts in the world. Cleveland has some good arts, wouldn't make this statement about Ohio arts though I'm confident the elite museums, orchestras and cultural institutions of Cleveland, Cincinnati and Columbus will survive without your endorsement.

Ohio has a definite sense of history. not sure if OH has monopoly on this, Philly, Boston, Savannah, Charleston, SC come to mind.. I never said American history was confined to Ohio. Certainly every state in this country can stake claim to its share of history. But not everywhere is it as obvious as it is in Ohio and older East Coast states.

SE Ohio has lush green forests.seems you can find this in most states[/ Again, I never said Ohio cornered the market on forests and trees. But after having lived for five years out West, I can assure you that I don't take this for granted anymore. quote]

Last edited by abr7rmj; 02-14-2011 at 09:30 AM..

Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,454,386 times
Easy to spell.

Don't have to worry about spending lots of money on sports champion T-shirts.

No big cities to slow down your drive through the state (on your way to prettier, neighboring states. Indiana excepted).

High roller coaster per capita rate.

The aroma of livestock is never far away.

Close to Pennsylvania

Close to Michigan

Ontario is really close if you have a boat (or are a really good swimmer).

Definitive accent (Ohioans love their vowels! Go figure the state name is 75% vowel).

Note: Ohioans, I was born and raised in Ohio. Please do not take offense to this post. It was meant all in fun.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:55 AM

2,554 posts, read 3,653,875 times
[quote=abr7rmj;17862291]Wonderful. I can't even post things I love about Ohio on an Ohio forum without some hater chiming in as to why my opinions are wrong.

Don't feed it. "It" is a NC troll.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:57 AM

2,554 posts, read 3,653,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
Easy to spell.

Don't have to worry about spending lots of money on sports champion T-shirts.

No big cities to slow down your drive through the state (on your way to prettier, neighboring states. Indiana excepted).

High roller coaster per capita rate.

The aroma of livestock is never far away.

Close to Pennsylvania

Close to Michigan

Ontario is really close if you have a boat (or are a really good swimmer).

Definitive accent (Ohioans love their vowels! Go figure the state name is 75% vowel).

Note: Ohioans, I was born and raised in Ohio. Please do not take offense to this post. It was meant all in fun.
Yes, so many people are going to Michigan's broke, decaying, and dead cities. Your terrible roads, pathetic economy are so attractive. I always love seeing all the Michigan cars down here everyday. Not to mention all the former Michiganders who now live here... But really no offense.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:15 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,454,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Yes, so many people are going to Michigan's broke, decaying, and dead cities. Your terrible roads, pathetic economy are so attractive. I always love seeing all the Michigan cars down here everyday. Not to mention all the former Michiganders who now live here... But really no offense.
As I said, it was meant as light-hearted humour. Don't get your panties in a bunch.
I think as far cities, economy, roads the two are nearly identical. Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids are far from decaying, Youngstown and Toledo are far from the picture of wealth. Plenty of Ohioans up here also. Can't help but notice the cars as they are driving 10 mph under the speed limit in the left lane everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio