Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 AM

913 posts, read 2,362,228 times

Advertisements

I saw an ad on Fox News the other night about how much more public workers make than private workers. I could not find the exact data, but it appears this is true, IF YOU DO NOT COMPARE EDUCATION. When you compare education levels, public workers actually make a little less than private workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 02:46 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
I used to listen to Rush quite a bit back in the 1990's. I cannot begin to count how many times he used term like, CLASS WARFARE or CLASS ENVY, when he would defend the uber wealthy against attacks on their excesses. The premise he pushed was that everyone is entitled to the success and wealth they gather from their work and nobody should question their success.

Now that the mid range middle class is on the warpath about a slight advantage that union workers may, or may not, have I'm wondering where Rush and his ilk are today. Why aren't Rush and the right defending the creativity and hard work of these union workers for doing better that average?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
I saw an ad on Fox News the other night about how much more public workers make than private workers. I could not find the exact data, but it appears this is true, IF YOU DO NOT COMPARE EDUCATION. When you compare education levels, public workers actually make a little less than private workers.
Actually, I think based on education and experience, pay for public workers is below private workers, but including medical and all benefits they are compensated somewhat better than private workers. That is primarily because private employers have been cutting pay and benefits for a while now. Right now they are WINNING the race to the bottom.

Of course, once the GOP breaks the unions and cuts their pay, they will be coming after the non-union workers again, because that is what they do. If they succeed here there will be no stopping them, private employees will see ever greater rounds of cuts, and everyone will suffer.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:35 AM

69 posts, read 146,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Now that the mid range middle class is on the warpath about a slight advantage that union workers may, or may not, have I'm wondering where Rush and his ilk are today. Why aren't Rush and the right defending the creativity and hard work of these union workers for doing better that average?
Because their above average benefits are almost entirely due to their ability to collectively negotiate wages and benefits with public employers, regardless of any external market labor factors. What's there to defend? How creatively a labor contract is negotiated?

. . . .

Quote:
Right now they are WINNING the race to the bottom.
More of a race to equilibrium.

Quote:
Of course, once the GOP breaks the unions and cuts their pay, they will be coming after the non-union workers again, because that is what they do. If they succeed here there will be no stopping them, private employees will see ever greater rounds of cuts, and everyone will suffer.
When has this ever happened? Have any relevant examples?

Old 03-17-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdasher View Post
Because their above average benefits are almost entirely due to their ability to collectively negotiate wages and benefits with public employers, regardless of any external market labor factors. What's there to defend? How creatively a labor contract is negotiated?

If you had been paying attention you would have known that many public worker contracts have included no pay raises or reduced pay. All caused by "external market labor factors". To my knowledge all public employees are paying more for their health care. I know a school district where I live the amount a teacher pays for health care has increased by 500% over tha past ten years.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:02 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
If you had been paying attention you would have known that many public worker contracts have included no pay raises or reduced pay. All caused by "external market labor factors". To my knowledge all public employees are paying more for their health care. I know a school district where I live the amount a teacher pays for health care has increased by 500% over tha past ten years.
Well in my school distrct the teachers are paying for a family of four what I pay for just myself.

Apears to be a lot of differences between districts.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Well in my school distrct the teachers are paying for a family of four what I pay for just myself.

Apears to be a lot of differences between districts.
That there is. I read about one district where they are paying less than 5% of the premiums. But them again, I do not know their pay scale. It could be really low. In BS 5, it says that teachers must pay 15% of their premium. Why? In some districts, this could force an increase in salaries to compensate for the increased premium. This another example of the "one size fits all" approach, from people who have no knowledge of education. Just like "No Child Left Behind" mandating that ALL students are proficient by 2014. All students? Really?

Old 03-17-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
If you had been paying attention you would have known that many public worker contracts have included no pay raises or reduced pay. All caused by "external market labor factors".
I was specifically addressing buzzard's rhetorical observation. If PEU's are sooo responsive to external market forces, then why the need for collective bargaining?

Old 03-17-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I was specifically addressing buzzard's rhetorical observation. If PEU's are sooo responsive to external market forces, then why the need for collective bargaining?
Collective bargaining is more than just about money.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:20 PM

I'm pretty sure it is, too

Old 03-17-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it is, too
I'm not "pretty sure", I know it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio