U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-22-2011, 08:57 PM

820 posts, read 1,238,302 times

Advertisements

Only five states do not have collective bargaining for educators and have deemed it illegal.
Those states and their ACT/SAT rankings
are as follows:
South Carolina 50th
North Carolina 49th
Georgia 48th
Texas 47th
Virginia 44th
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 09:49 PM

3,171 posts, read 6,754,307 times
^Do you have a link to support this, because i would love to post it to my facebook page.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
^Do you have a link to support this, because i would love to post it to my facebook page.
Here is the link I found it on. I am still trying to do some research myself.

No strong teacher unions, lower SAT/ACT scores. Any correlation? | Get Schooled

I also found this. Look at the abstract.

Do Teacher Unions Hinder Educational Performance? Lessons Learned from State SAT and ACT Scores.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:01 AM

3,171 posts, read 6,754,307 times
Thanks

Old 02-23-2011, 06:24 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,060,459 times
One good thing with breaking the unions movement in these sates which supposedly show that they have better test scores...movement of these 'excellent' teachers as they look to find other teacher positions, to right to work states that scored worse on SAT/ACTs, kinda like spreading the wealth so there will be more balance across the nation.
I question the bias with the data above, alot of the data is produced by libral media, educatorsi.e. the abstract was sponsored by the US Dept. of Education..
ERIC - the Education Resources Information Center - is an online digital library of education research and information. ERIC is sponsored by the Institute of Education Sciences (IES) of the U.S. Department of Education.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:43 AM

3,198 posts, read 3,484,201 times
During my career in teaching, our union negotiated a change in Parent-Teacher conference schedules, shifting the starting and ending times so that they overlapped the first shift/second shift time periods so that more parents would have the opportunity to attend the conferences without having to attempt to take time off of work. They negotiated a shift to Open Houses the night BEFORE classes actually began to allow parents and students a chance to meet their teachers before the beginning of the school year, something that helps students with anxiety, and especially the younger students to relax. They negotiated the development of of a Community Advisory Team with membership made up of Parents, Business people, school staff, and students, to discuss factors that affect the educational process. They negotiated a sick leave bank that would allow teachers to "deposit" a number of their unused sick days and make them available to be used by the fellow staff member who, because of catastrophic illness such as a heart attack or cancer, was able to keep some income and avoid the loss of home and the need to go onto other programs to survive. They have worked with board and administration to develop student recognition programs, after school programs for at-risk students, teacher evaluation criteria based on objective, measurable criteria rather than subjective opinions, and many other things. From my interpretation of what I have read and heard concerning SB 5, these activities would become "illegal" and not open for negotiation. How will this "solve the budget problem"? IMHO the sponsors and supporters of this bill are not doing it for financial reasons, but rather to divide the populace and get a stronger control on other things.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
One good thing with breaking the unions movement in these sates which supposedly show that they have better test scores...movement of these 'excellent' teachers as they look to find other teacher positions, to right to work states that scored worse on SAT/ACTs, kinda like spreading the wealth so there will be more balance across the nation.
I question the bias with the data above, alot of the data is produced by libral media, educatorsi.e. the abstract was sponsored by the US Dept. of Education..
ERIC - the Education Resources Information Center - is an online digital library of education research and information. ERIC is sponsored by the Institute of Education Sciences (IES) of the U.S. Department of Education.
Your assumption about teachers moving to states that do not allow collective bargaining incorrect. I have discussed this with a few teachers over the past few weeks and the feeling I get is if they move (depending on what the final bill says) they will move to states that permit collective bargaining.

So you are saying the Harvard Educational Review was bought by the US Department of Education? Where did you get that? ERIC is an educational resource website sponsored by the US Department of Education. Mostly used in higher education. To say that ERIC has a liberal bias is unfounded. If you have data to back up your claim, please list it.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:44 AM

5,817 posts, read 7,387,507 times
Do they really depend on the SAT/ACT scores that much when it comes to the moeny and how its spread around amoung the schools. I have littlle to no respect for those score. I've seen kids that score really high on them and a are nothing short of being ditch diggers and the ones who did (OK) are running their own companies and are doing quite well for themselves.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Do they really depend on the SAT/ACT scores that much when it comes to the moeny and how its spread around amoung the schools. I have littlle to no respect for those score. I've seen kids that score really high on them and a are nothing short of being ditch diggers and the ones who did (OK) are running their own companies and are doing quite well for themselves.
ACT/SAT tests are just college entrance exams. Most colleges require a certain score to attend.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 PM

3,198 posts, read 3,484,201 times
ACT/SATs are also standardized tests that some are suggesting should be used as a basis for determining merit pay scenarios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio