Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 04:10 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
And non-union members like me that give a DARN about the whole country, not just making the fat cats richer at everyone else's expense.
i really disliked what I saw from the Florida Gov yesterday. He cut funding for the developmentally disabled (group homes, aid workers, social workers) by 15% immediately. Some group homes will not survive and people with serious disabilities will lose their support. One group home operator said she'd have to close, if she laid off one more employee she would be below the state mandated staffing levels. Gov. Rick Scott: Florida governor orders emergency cuts for programs serving disabled - OrlandoSentinel.com

What ever happened to those Compassionate Conservatives?

I guess now he'll be able to offer tax breaks for big businesses to create all those new jobs in Florida. I'm wondering what happens next when ever state in the union matches one state's tax incentives for businesses? Do they start round two, and offer more incentives? When does this never ending cycle of tax giveaways for the wealthy end? When every business is paying the same rate as GE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 10:18 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
so, assuming you are correct and income level of the middle class will continue to fall. Your answer is to help the process along?
First, I dislike the hidden implications behind worship of the "middle class", namely, that only "middle class" and up can count on living wage/subsistence, decent jobs, decent treatment, decent homes&neighborhoods, decent ... you name it. The less than middle class can achieve those things only by joining middle class. If you bought into "middle class" conditioning what you are complaining about? You accepted by default that there are people out there who just don't deserve the thing "middle class" and you do. Since there is no Big Book of Life saying that "Middle Class" should constitute 50% of population, what is argument about? Pecking order is just fine and dandy as long as I'm in the middle?

Second, you cannot support middle class by overtaxing (directly or indirectly) underclasses including 100% dismantling of social programs. It's financially impossible since mushrooming underclass owns/earns minuscule % of nation' & Ohio' wealth/income. Numbers just don't add up.

Yup, having my convictions & owning no TV, I'm thinking twice before typing this, "taxing the rich" sounds more & more blasphemous every year, the more wealth gets concentrated the more blasphemous it sounds, isn't that amazing how sublime conditioning does its magic in the old good USA?

Personally, I don't think "taxing the rich" is a long term solution for societal well being (see, New Deal and remarkable Corporate comeback since then) but for different reasons than your average person on the right who is still waiting for Ronald Reagan' trickle down to do its magic. You see, "normal" (in good & bad sense of the word) folks will never climb to the top of the pyramid, no matter their smarts, hard work and dedication. You got to be little bit different (in good & bad sense) if not deviant and psychopathic to get there. "Normal" people stand no chance in open fight with money&power hungry psychopaths on the top. Why, because at the end of the day "normal" person wants go back to his/her normal life, they want to live. Accumulation of wealth&power IS normal life for the folks at the top of food chain. In an unlikely event of a set back (like a revolution scare of 1930th) elites may be forced to give up a (small) share of their wealth and power. But eventually they would get everything back + interest until the next system threatening threat. Needless to say they work feverishly to eliminate even a distant possibility of such a threat. You got to admit they do an excellent job so far. At the same time I don't want to over extol virtues of being "normal" and "average", it's a good thing some people are not. The difficult balancing task is how to use psychopaths for "common good", so far psychopaths excel in using "common good" on the behalf of psychopaths.

I would keep on typing, but there is nothing Ohio can do alone in this matter, all it can do alone is to race to the bottom better than other states do. I guess all we can do is to wait for a BIG one to hit the fan.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:33 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
dude, the middle class, working class, working poor, the bag of suds, joe six pack, the pay check to pay check people of the world, we are all the same, we are about 85% of the population. with an equal share above and below, the ultra wealthy above, and the disabled and disadvantaged below. what is going on right now is a carefully crafted play scripted by the ones on top, they have set factions of the middle against themselves, fighting for the crumbs while they stand at the doors of the US Treasury demanding tax giveways and "bailouts" to create those magical "JOBS" we hold so dear.

you and I are on the other sides of that conflict created by the wealthy, the difference is I see the play the game the wealthy are playing, while you deny its very existence and do the wealthy's bidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
First, I dislike the hidden implications behind worship of the "middle class", namely, that only "middle class" and up can count on living wage/subsistence, decent jobs, decent treatment, decent homes&neighborhoods, decent ... you name it. The less than middle class can achieve those things only by joining middle class. If you bought into "middle class" conditioning what you are complaining about? You accepted by default that there are people out there who just don't deserve the thing "middle class" and you do. Since there is no Big Book of Life saying that "Middle Class" should constitute 50% of population, what is argument about? Pecking order is just fine and dandy as long as I'm in the middle?

Second, you cannot support middle class by overtaxing (directly or indirectly) underclasses including 100% dismantling of social programs. It's financially impossible since mushrooming underclass owns/earns minuscule % of nation' & Ohio' wealth/income. Numbers just don't add up.

Yup, having my convictions & owning no TV, I'm thinking twice before typing this, "taxing the rich" sounds more & more blasphemous every year, the more wealth gets concentrated the more blasphemous it sounds, isn't that amazing how sublime conditioning does its magic in the old good USA?

Personally, I don't think "taxing the rich" is a long term solution for societal well being (see, New Deal and remarkable Corporate comeback since then) but for different reasons than your average person on the right who is still waiting for Ronald Reagan' trickle down to do its magic. You see, "normal" (in good & bad sense of the word) folks will never climb to the top of the pyramid, no matter their smarts, hard work and dedication.
you have that right, they invent this play, and you'll never get that carrot, they made the stick a little too long.
Quote:
You got to be little bit different (in good & bad sense) if not deviant and psychopathic to get there. "Normal" people stand no chance in open fight with money&power hungry psychopaths on the top. Why, because at the end of the day "normal" person wants go back to his/her normal life, they want to live. Accumulation of wealth&power IS normal life for the folks at the top of food chain. In an unlikely event of a set back (like a revolution scare of 1930th) elites may be forced to give up a (small) share of their wealth and power. But eventually they would get everything back + interest until the next system threatening threat. Needless to say they work feverishly to eliminate even a distant possibility of such a threat. You got to admit they do an excellent job so far. At the same time I don't want to over extol virtues of being "normal" and "average", it's a good thing some people are not. The difficult balancing task is how to use psychopaths for "common good", so far psychopaths excel in using "common good" on the behalf of psychopaths.

I would keep on typing, but there is nothing Ohio can do alone in this matter, all it can do alone is to race to the bottom better than other states do. I guess all we can do is to wait for a BIG one to hit the fan.
the difference between them and the middle class is most of the middle class live on credit provided by the wealthy, that my friend is a huge transfer of wealthy every year. You (I say you, because I learned this 40 years ago and have not paid a dime interest in 30 years) pay them interest ever day that they simply bank, the fruit of your hard work, for sitting on their butt. Credit is the curse of the middle class, the tool they use to hold most of us down. From my own personal experience, the first million is extremely hard to make, each one after that is easier and easier...

Old 04-04-2011, 08:38 AM

133 posts, read 589,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
home schooling has consistently shown to be inadequate. Most parents just do not have the training or education to keep that kind of structured learning at home. Not to mention that home schooled kids just do not have the kind of social interaction they need to form healthy relationships.

Do you know why sports are sometimes given priority over other programs? Because sports bring in money, and when the gov't is constantly cutting the education budget, schools are going to make the logical choice to keep things that help them financially. This is not rocket science. It's not that sports are more important, it's that we as a nation could not give less of a crap about education. Of all the things that could be cut, we choose to attack education first. To attack teachers. Can anyone even think of another profession where you can get a masters and still start out making $20k or less? This is the reality of teaching. It is not glamorous, it is way underpaid, and we as a nation apparently don't care. The benefits of education far outweigh the investment, and it is ironic that it is ignorance that propels us to look the other way.
very well said.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Yes and no, I don't like unions and never did. But then again, teachers should only get paid during the times (months) that they work. Maybe they need time clocks like the rest of the country uses . Not on the clock, don't get paid, it's simple. Oh, and sport activityies don't count as work, that's play time that they don't need to be paid for.

With all due respect, you clearly do not understand how teachers are compensated. They receive an annual salary, just like everyone else. This salary pays them for the work they do inside the classroom and nothing more as they are not on a timeclock. They are able to choose to receive their pay over the course of 9 months or they can choose to stretch it out over the entire year. It depends on the needs of the family. A lot of teachers take jobs over the summer while also attending classes and preppring for the upcoming school year. So while it may seem like they are getting paid for their summer break, they are simply receiving their paycheck from the actual school year.

Nothing makes me angrier than hearing someone say that teachers are not worth a decent salary because they only work "part time". This is the banter that most people spout off without knowing anything about the profession at all. But I have found is that it is a waste of time to try to convince people otherwise because once someone has an idea stuck in their head, then THAT is what they will believe.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:44 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyegal78 View Post
With all due respect, you clearly do not understand how teachers are compensated. They receive an annual salary, just like everyone else. This salary pays them for the work they do inside the classroom and nothing more as they are not on a timeclock. They are able to choose to receive their pay over the course of 9 months or they can choose to stretch it out over the entire year. It depends on the needs of the family. A lot of teachers take jobs over the summer while also attending classes and preppring for the upcoming school year. So while it may seem like they are getting paid for their summer break, they are simply receiving their paycheck from the actual school year.

Nothing makes me angrier than hearing someone say that teachers are not worth a decent salary because they only work "part time". This is the banter that most people spout off without knowing anything about the profession at all. But I have found is that it is a waste of time to try to convince people otherwise because once someone has an idea stuck in their head, then THAT is what they will believe.
Earthbound is like many people who believes that everyone in the government is glamorously paid and basically lives off the taxpayer while doing nothing. Outside of politicians, I'm not sure there are many gov't jobs that actually would line up with that assumption. Teachers, certainly not. I also dislike the argument that private sector employees don't have certain benefits that public sector employees do, so no one deserves them. It's called being petty and envious, and completely ignorant on how it all works.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:49 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Quote:

Relaaaaaax! And take a chill pill.

OK, so they get paid in that maor, but no employee that gets paid by tax payers money should be allowed to have a (UNION). The military is paid by tax payers money and we weren't allowed to have a union. So the same should be for all who are paid by taxes from federal, stat and local.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Relaaaaaax! And take a chill pill.

OK, so they get paid in that maor, but no employee that gets paid by tax payers money should be allowed to have a (UNION). The military is paid by tax payers money and we weren't allowed to have a union. So the same should be for all who are paid by taxes from federal, stat and local.
Hey, hey, hey...I'm chilled

Old 04-05-2011, 07:17 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Quote:
Hey, hey, hey...I'm chilled
That's Cool.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
That's Cool.
And speaking of being chilled, WHERE THE HECK IS SPRING WEATHER????

Anyhoo...to get back on topic, my concern is that I am a student working toward my teaching credentials. Since I have never worked in the public sector I really have no idea what it will be like to be used to paying so much for benefits and then having that change. That's not even an issue for me. My concern comes from the fact that I'm borrowing thousands of dollars in student loans to earn this degree and I don't want to get lowballed when I get my first job! Every person who goes into education knows that teachers do not make a lot of money. We do it because we love kids and we love teaching. HOWEVER, we still want our time and efforts to be fairly compensated. A year ago I was excited about teaching...now, not so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio